Cold Start Whining Horn Like Noise Comes and Goes? -with video/sound clip

Trying to troubleshoot an annoying Horn like noise coming from the front of the truck upon cold starts. It goes away after around 30 Minutes of driving. The sound comes and goes and almost varies in pitch up and down. But then some times will stay consistent. I haven't been able to tie it to rpms, steering, engine load, braking, or anything like that. Only possible clue is it goes away after the truck is warmed up. 

I have a good video of the truck at a cold start where you can clearly hear this noise.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?

Can anybody tell me how to post this video on here? -unfortunately, there videos 4K, and fairly large..

Thanks for any help guys, This noise is driving me nuts!

'22 GMC 3500 Duramax

Edited by Group_er

• Group_er changed the title to Cold Start Whining Horn Like Noise Comes and Goes? -with video/sound clip

Got the truck into the dealer yesterday, They thought the noise was coming from the alternator, after 5 minutes of it idling and making the noise the tech put his hand on the alt and said it was too hot to touch. They're going to order and install a new alternator next week. Ill keep the forum posted on the results.

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 12:56 PM, Gary Newcomer said:

What Ended up being the problem? We have the same noise

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Gary Newcomer.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Gary Newcomer/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

I'm having the same issue/noise on my 2023 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax.  Any updates on what the problem is?

This is my first diesel truck so I thought maybe after the break-in period it would go away, but I just now got to 1000 miles on the truck and the noise is still there. 

I've had my 2022 3500HD Sierra in 3 times now to try to fix the issue.  20,000 km on it.  They tried replacing the auxiliary fan belt as when they took the belt off the noise went away.  When they put the new belt one on the noise went away long enough for me to drive it off the lot and down the street but came back worse than before.  Today they ordered a new fan clutch, it will come in next week so will keep everyone posted if that is the issue.  The tech didn't check the alternator. 

Hello all. This is certainly not what we like to hear.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your trucks. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: [Forum Username]/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com