Steering wheel bump to center when applying brakes in a corner.

I have this weird issue that is not overly concerning but I still think it might be a problem.  Anyhow 2022 2500 custom model gasser to begin with.  I've noticed this anomaly from day one but now 4k miles later it's starting to get to me.  When I'm in a corner at pretty much any speed and tap the brakes, the steering wheel will momentarily have this bump to center itself.  Doesn't matter if it's left or right.  I still get this little bump to center when I apply the brakes.  It becomes more pronounced the higher the speeds are in a corner.  It's not like it tries to rip itself out of my hand, it's just a bump to try and center itself.  Has anyone else experienced this?  And sometimes when I hit a pothole I can feel just a slight metallic bump from the steering wheel.....Any ideas? 

The metallic bump noise is probably the steering shaft. They are known for noise a revised part was created to resolve the noise. I still have a noise in my steering but living with it for now. 

As far as turning and the steering moving not sure. Could be normal considering these trucks have a bit of play in the steering. If you have been off-road or a washboard road the wheel is back and forth over small chattering bumps. I added a steering stabilizer and it firmed up the wheel and took the shimmy out of my steering wheel. 

When in doubt take it to the dealer you should be covered. If its a pitman arm idler or a worn defect part. 

21 hours ago, Leem said:

The metallic bump noise is probably the steering shaft. They are known for noise a revised part was created to resolve the noise. I still have a noise in my steering but living with it for now. 

As far as turning and the steering moving not sure. Could be normal considering these trucks have a bit of play in the steering. If you have been off-road or a washboard road the wheel is back and forth over small chattering bumps. I added a steering stabilizer and it firmed up the wheel and took the shimmy out of my steering wheel. 

When in doubt take it to the dealer you should be covered. If its a pitman arm idler or a worn defect part. 

I've never been off road with it so I'm not sure there.  I was thinking steering shaft as well but haven't found a dealer yet that I trust around the Atlanta area.  I may have to take it to a country dealership and have them take care of it.  Thanks for the response.  I appreciate it.

I understand that some dealers are the worst. I bought my steering shaft on the web and did mine myself. Hardest part is just wiggling thru the rubber boot. But in short there are several threads of the steering wheel kinda bouncing around. Some say steering stabilizer doesn’t do much. My case it stopped steering wheel kick and gave a better more connected feeling in the wheel. May be worth looking into. 

2 hours ago, Leem said:

I understand that some dealers are the worst. I bought my steering shaft on the web and did mine myself. Hardest part is just wiggling thru the rubber boot. But in short there are several threads of the steering wheel kinda bouncing around. Some say steering stabilizer doesn’t do much. My case it stopped steering wheel kick and gave a better more connected feeling in the wheel. May be worth looking into. 

Interesting....Thank you so much....I love doing research and will do that ASAP.  I really appreciate you helping me with this sir!  Also would you mind expanding a bit on where you bought your steering shaft from?  I have tools from hell from being an aircraft mechanic all these years so I've probably got the tools to do the job...

Edited by Jettech1

On 12/3/2022 at 8:28 PM, Jettech1 said:

I have this weird issue that is not overly concerning but I still think it might be a problem.  Anyhow 2022 2500 custom model gasser to begin with.  I've noticed this anomaly from day one but now 4k miles later it's starting to get to me.  When I'm in a corner at pretty much any speed and tap the brakes, the steering wheel will momentarily have this bump to center itself.  Doesn't matter if it's left or right.  I still get this little bump to center when I apply the brakes.  It becomes more pronounced the higher the speeds are in a corner.  It's not like it tries to rip itself out of my hand, it's just a bump to try and center itself.  Has anyone else experienced this?  And sometimes when I hit a pothole I can feel just a slight metallic bump from the steering wheel.....Any ideas? 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Jettech1.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Silverado 2500HD. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Jettech1/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

I got my new upper steering shaft from gmparts.com online. Not much tools needed just couple sockets. 

Look back in some older steering noise threads. Should give some details and pics takes less than hour.  That wont help much with steering wheel kick but does with the clunk noise.

The steering stabilizer is suspension max found there bracket to be the easiest to work with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:43 AM, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Jettech1.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Silverado 2500HD. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Jettech1/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

Thank you so much, email sent.

Dale

On 12/7/2022 at 8:50 PM, Leem said:

I got my new upper steering shaft from gmparts.com online. Not much tools needed just couple sockets. 

Look back in some older steering noise threads. Should give some details and pics takes less than hour.  That wont help much with steering wheel kick but does with the clunk noise.

The steering stabilizer is suspension max found there bracket to be the easiest to work with.

I'll see what GM can come up with first and go from there.  Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to respond to me.  I really appreciate that and I will let everyone know when and what the fix is for other owners.

• 1 month later...

After doing a ton of research, I do have the updated intermediate shaft and I can't find a darn thing loose.  I also did a ton of research on other HD GM sites to no avail.  I feel like the only person on earth that has this problem when I tap the brakes in a corner, I get a small bump to center in my steering wheel.  I can't be the only person on earth that has this problem.  And I'm not willing to let it sit at the dealership for days on end with them telling me "no trouble found".  Or....is it normal?  Is there anyone else out there that feels that same thing?  This has become so frustrating to try and figure out.  I'm sending up the bat signal here.....in hopes someone can help me.

By the way, I did contact the GM customer service person who posted on this thread.  No foul to them, but all they were going to do is set me up with a dealer close by.  I can do that myself so I declined their offer.  I was hoping it would be more personal and setting me up with a person within GM to help me troubleshoot this and then help me during the process of getting it fixed....kind of like a go around instead of the same old same old.  Go sit at the dealer, yes this is a weird problem, never seen it before.....yada yada yada....so whoever this is that posts from GM is only going to find a close dealer to you and make you an appt. to bring your vehicle in.  Like I said, no harm no foul to them.  It's nothing special that I was hoping for.

2 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

After doing a ton of research, I do have the updated intermediate shaft and I can't find a darn thing loose.  I also did a ton of research on other HD GM sites to no avail.  I feel like the only person on earth that has this problem when I tap the brakes in a corner, I get a small bump to center in my steering wheel.  I can't be the only person on earth that has this problem.  And I'm not willing to let it sit at the dealership for days on end with them telling me "no trouble found".  Or....is it normal?  Is there anyone else out there that feels that same thing?  This has become so frustrating to try and figure out.  I'm sending up the bat signal here.....in hopes someone can help me.

Likely normal.  I recall this happening on my 04, 06 and 15 HD.  Has to do with the fact that the brake assist is hydroboost.  Its a little feedback through the system.  

Hydroboost assist is provided by the power steering pump so the two are fed off the same hydraulic system.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newdude said:

Likely normal.  I recall this happening on my 04, 06 and 15 HD.  Has to do with the fact that the brake assist is hydroboost.  Its a little feedback through the system.  

Hydroboost assist is provided by the power steering pump so the two are fed off the same hydraulic system.  

Thank you thank you thank you.....so I don't have to check myself into the loony house tomorrow???  LOL.... Thank you so much for the one person in my entire universe to say, it's normal....I can finally get that off my mind....You are da man!!  Oh sorry...you are da person.....lol...

Oh and here's another weird thing that I never mentioned before that might make perfect sense to you.  While towing our camper in TH mode.  That little bump doesn't exist.  Totally goes away.  Messes with my brain too much.  I'm 56 and considered to be in great shape, but my mind is apparently frail.....LMAO!!!  I'm too old to have crap like this messing with my tiny brain....lol  and again thank you so much for the one person on earth that actually identified with my problem and helped me!!

13 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

Oh and here's another weird thing that I never mentioned before that might make perfect sense to you.  While towing our camper in TH mode.  That little bump doesn't exist.  Totally goes away.  Messes with my brain too much.  I'm 56 and considered to be in great shape, but my mind is apparently frail.....LMAO!!!  I'm too old to have crap like this messing with my tiny brain....lol  and again thank you so much for the one person on earth that actually identified with my problem and helped me!!

If it has the digital steering assist, when tow/haul is turned on it changes the assist that the power steering assist module provides.  If I were to guess as to why you notice this "bump" and then don't, in tow/haul at faster speeds it gives less assist than if tow/haul is off, so the steering feel is more true unassisted as if it was a regular truck without that digital assist.  I bet the wheel "bumps" more noticeably because of the assist. 

Being yours is a Custom(?) I don't think it has the assist unless GM added it at some point, so I find it interesting that it changes for you.  

"The TOW/HAUL feature will change the amount of assist provided. The power steering system will still provide more assist at lower speeds and less assist at higher speeds with TOW/HAUL enabled. However, with TOW/HAUL enabled, the amount of assist provided at higher speeds will be less than what it provided with TOW/HAUL disabled. This is to account for the front axle mass being lower during towing."

• Like 1