Paint swirlies

I noticed yesterday my paint has swirlies all over.  I washed and waxed it today with the OG turtlewax and it still holds a nice shine.

If im not terribly concerned about swirlies and make sure Im not using old towels to dry the truck off again, is there even really any concern if I keep it clean and waxed?

31 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

I noticed yesterday my paint has swirlies all over.  I washed and waxed it today with the OG turtlewax and it still holds a nice shine.

If im not terribly concerned about swirlies and make sure Im not using old towels to dry the truck off again, is there even really any concern if I keep it clean and waxed?

I'd say after you wash and hand wax it, the swirlies should be gone.  If not, why?  I definitely wouldn't use an electric buffer on it.  For two years, I hand wash mine using only Meguiar's waterless wash and wax and Meguiar's quik wax and after two years there's no swirl marks on it anywhere.

Meguiar's waterless wash and wax.webp

Meguiar's quik wax.webp

47 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

I think it was one of my bath towels I used, ive never had a problem before but the paint coat on this 2020 just feels different then the paint on my gmt800.   That truck felt "harder" and had a nicer paint coat.

Paint on all vehicles is no way near like they were back then as the paint now is all water base at every manufacture, very soft, thin and scratches easy. I use a very soft cotton towel to remove wax. My sisters BMW X7 M60i paint is the same way soft and scratches easy.

23 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Paint on all vehicles is no way near like they were back then as the paint now is all water base at every manufacture, very soft, thin and scratches easy. I use a very soft cotton towel to remove wax. My sisters BMW X7 M60i paint is the same way soft and scratches easy.

The wife’s new Corolla wins for easiest to chip paint. It seems like a new chip on the hood daily. Partly due to how low it is I suppose. 

A buffer will be required to remove the swirls now. A very light compound on a random orbital speed buffer will do the trick. Using a wax just fills in the swirls until a later time when they appear again.

What you are doing isn't harming anything but it will require a buffer to full remove the swirls to start over.

• Thanks 1

Agreed. It will need to be buffed off with a mechanical buffer of your choice (I use a dual action polisher). For light swirls I use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, works really well, I even use it by hand with a microfiber towel when I see a few scuffs here and there.  OCD say's not on my watch swirls.  Good luck.

• Like 1

swirl marks are almost always the result of improper cleaning and drying techniques.  They come easy nowadays.  One thing for sure, never rub anything on the surface without a lot of lubrication.  Always use clean sponges and clean water to rinse off the sponge, multiple bucket work great.  Never use one of those dusters as it takes next to nothing to have grains of dust create swirls.  I always wash myself by hand and never go thru a non-touchless auto wash.  High quality drying towels are helpful too.  As with everything you get what you pay for.

The past 10 years, I have added a good quality ceramic coating to my truck purchases and have it done before driving off the lot. Especially with the black trail boss, and the dark grey AT4. Even had the current white one done, basically for easy maintenance. Haven't been pestered with swirl marks since doing that. Although, I have traded in/upgraded a lot but that will need to come to an end if I ever want to retire!

If you have swirles all over its probably from a few things.

1. The dealer washed it and the 10 buck an hour kid scratched it all over.  happens all the time.  I dont let them prep the outside of the truck

2.  You have scratched it washing or taken it to brush a car wash

The paint is very thin and crappy these days and easily scratches.   With that said a good detailer can take it out.  What I do is immediately ceramic coat my vehicles within a week of ownership.  Puts a hard layer over the paint,  second part is I dont have to wax it for 3-5 years depending on the brand

Edited by nards444