2024 HD's And The Great Frame Wax Debate

Seems that for the last 20 or so years whenever GM comes out with a new HD truck or an MCE update to an existing HD truck rumors start that GM will finally go to some sort of E-coat and get rid of that messy wax coating they have used since 1987.  The 2024 update is no exception, I have heard that the goo is finally gone and new E-coat equipment has been installed at Flint (funny, I thought the frames were vendor supplied).  The wax coating (actually called Nox-Rust) first appeared on the GMT-400 trucks in mid-1987 and by the mid-90's Ford and Chrysler were using it as well.  I always thought it did an adequate job of protecting the frame and liked the fact that it's easy to touch up (the material is available in spray cans) but it is messy, dirt sticks to it like crazy, and it needs to be touched up A LOT under certain conditions.  On the other had I would have to say that outside of certain Toyotas pickups Ford F-150's seem to me to have the most frame rust issues, and they have been E-coated for years.  Nonetheless, judging from comments on many pickup truck forums, many GM truck fans would like to see the wax replaced.  Both Ford and Chrysler dropped the wax years ago on their full size trucks, and GM does not use it on the Colorado/Canyon or any medium duty cab and chassis models.  So, what is the story?  Why has GM stayed with wax dipped frames for so long on certain trucks?  Will GM change to E-coat?  

My 2020  wax frame is still doing well.  I have driven it very limited though when road salt is spread.  

my 2002 1500 was abused and rarely washed underneath...the frame only had surface rust and some wax areas were still there.  The cab corners and rockers were another story :(.   

the part that really rusted out was the rear axle.  

my wifes 2006 Honda civic frame looked pristine up until 2016 when we sold it. Thats Midwest salt roads and all.   Her 2015 CRV and later 2020 CRV were also pristine.

Whatever Honda does (or used to do) to keep their frames so nice I wish was emulated by GM.  

However, I did see a few gently used newer model hondas that came from Michigan that looked pretty bad.  Probably never had an undercarriage wash

Edited by greatmizzou

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like having to work under the truck, and feel for the GM mechanics who have to deal with the waxy mess.  Something as simple as adding a front hitch to a truck with less than 5K miles leaves the installer looking like they just worked on a 1950s diesel bus. 

Living in a state that salts the roads pretty heavily, I don't see an advantage to the wax.  I see just as many rusty GM trucks as I do Ford & Dodge.  It just doesn't seem to be an advantage in that regard. 

Overall I'm not a fan. 

It would be great of GM stepped up to e-coating.  The new paints with rust converter/preventer do a good job of maintaining an e-coated frame, without all the mess of the wax.