Can you add Nav to a 2023 2500HD LT w/o Factory Nav?

In 2019 I'd purchased a new 1500 LTZ that did not have factory nav enabled/installed.  I was able to order a flash card through GM for about $500 and have them "Install" Nav at the dealership.  Fast forward to now, I just bought a 2023 2500HD LT with the 8" touchscreen, but similarly NO factory enabled Nav.  Are you still able to have Nav installed or enabled by the dealer, for a price?

I do have Onstar, but I'm not interested in turn-by-turn via that, I'd prefer to have the maps open while I drive.  It does have Apple car play, but it's not bluetooth (phone needs to be plugged in), so that's a little inconvenient at times (first world problems, I know).  

Thanks for your help!

truck.jpg

I believe that you can buy the SD card for navigation.  I am fairly certain that it was available as an option for my 2020 lt.  I use an SD card for my music though, so on the rare occasion I need navigation, I just plug my phone into the usb port in the dash and use android auto. Would be nice if it worked through Bluetooth but is what it is.

• Like 1

Recently purchased a '22 Sierra SLE HD, also without OEM Nav. Was told, emphatically, by 2 Dealers that GM will not do an after-factory Nav install.

Should start off by saying, to do the following, you need IOS infotainment and an SD cord slot (although the below company also supplies SD slots that can be added to the truck).

So, I found obdgeniedotcom, where I purchased a package which included an OEM Nav SD card and a programmer which is plugged into the obd2 port. The only downside was the price ($499 USD), but for me, it was worth it (I do a lot of driving in areas which often do not have cell access for Google Maps etc).

The process took me less than 5 minutes, and once done, the programmer (small device) is removed and you keep it in the event you need to re-install in the future.

Has worked perfectly since install.

Marv

• Like 1

This stuff used to be really easy to add just about any option,  buy the part cheap and plug it in, or add an sd card etc.  But most manufactures have cut this off.  I did this on a Ram a few years ago.  Had to switch out the head unit that came with that feature and convince the dealer to turn it on.  bet its much the same.

The SD cards with the maps can be found on ebay for under $100, but I don't know if you can just put the card in and navigation starts working our if you have to somehow activate the navigation system.  Maybe someone here who has added navigation this way will chime in.

If you did not receive OEM Nav from the factory, you can not insert a Nav card into the SD slot, without having the system activated. As previously mentioned, that is what the program device that I purchased does. And manufacturers/dealers don't do after sales add-ons like they used to (particularly for non hardware stuff).

Marv

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From GM you can't anymore.  They offered it for 2019 and early 2020 and then discontinued it. 

You have to have the IOS radio to add it from any of the aftermarket sources that make a nav upgrade.  

If you have the 7 inch IOR radio you have to radio swap as well.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the response newdude.  I believe I have the IOR, so I think I'm SOL by the sounds of it.  Beggers can't be choosers...wanted an HD and didn't need a $90k one, nor did I want a bare bones one, so I took what was available (one someone ordered and didn't pick up).  I'll just have to "deal" with Apple Carplay!  

52 minutes ago, Ken Rackliff said:

Thanks for the response newdude.  I believe I have the IOR, so I think I'm SOL by the sounds of it.  Beggers can't be choosers...wanted an HD and didn't need a $90k one, nor did I want a bare bones one, so I took what was available (one someone ordered and didn't pick up).  I'll just have to "deal" with Apple Carplay!  

Upgrade does exist...but gets pricey - 2019-2022 Silverado & Sierra IOR to IOU GPS Navigation Wireless CarPla - Infotainment.com

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Personally I hate factory nav.  I've had it in many of my past vehicles and always use Google or Waze for Nav.  I love how I can hook up my phone via USB to my custom model and use Waze or google maps on the factory screen.  Waze is my favorite because of it reporting cops (LOL).  Either way I think factory NAV is way overrated and with the new technology in our phones I think it will slowly disappear.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, newdude said:

This actually will not work with all IOR factory radio's.  Need to check the build code for UE1 - On-Star Equipped.  Many are not, for example I was going to do this with my WT but due to not being factory On-Star equipped it will not work.

• Like 1

New to me 2021 Silverado 2500 LT

I use an Android phone and was able to install an AAWireless dongle giving me Android Auto without having to take my phone out of my pocket. https://www.aawireless.io/ Cost me about $90 on Amazon.com. I do recommend getting a USB 90 adapter so the plug in for the AAWireless dongle does not stick out. https://a.co/d/bz6NMkM
A bit of double stick tape keeps the dongle tucked up under the dash, out of sight.

Now when I get in the truck automatically links to my phone and displays Waze navigation.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 7:50 PM, Jettech1 said:

Personally I hate factory nav.  I've had it in many of my past vehicles and always use Google or Waze for Nav.  I love how I can hook up my phone via USB to my custom model and use Waze or google maps on the factory screen.  Waze is my favorite because of it reporting cops (LOL).  Either way I think factory NAV is way overrated and with the new technology in our phones I think it will slowly disappear.

Yes and no for me.  Factory nav tends to be more reliable as onstar uses multiple carriers and sattelites to work.  Also the new nav systems are pretty interactive.  Also until my recent truck I would have to plug my phone in and screw around with multiple apps running, texting at the same time.

My real beef is car play,  its still clunky.  The real thing that bothers me with car play is its half in half out as in doesnt really control everything.  Its needs to be one system that does everything. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nards444 said:

Yes and no for me.  Factory nav tends to be more reliable as onstar uses multiple carriers and sattelites to work.  Also the new nav systems are pretty interactive.  Also until my recent truck I would have to plug my phone in and screw around with multiple apps running, texting at the same time.

My real beef is car play,  its still clunky.  The real thing that bothers me with car play is its half in half out as in doesnt really control everything.  Its needs to be one system that does everything. 

Agree...car play on this OS is pretty disappointing for sure.  Didn't get any better with my '22 refreshed High Country either.  Oh well...I'll just stick with "using the force" when I drive...the wife loves that :)