Trailer tire pressure monitoring system.

I have a 2021 Sierra SLT with the Prograde trailering system. I also looked behind the license plate and the pressure monitoring system control module (8445810) is installed. However there is nothing currently in the infotainment  trailer app that refers to the trailer tire pressure. Before I purchase the trailer TPS sensors I would like to confirm that the system is installed and will operate. Called GM gave them my VIN and they were clueless. Any input would be appreciated.

I have a 2020 Silverado with the Advanced Trailering Package option. After the trailer light cable is connected and truck started, trailer tire pressure and temperature will automatically display in the infotainment system Trailering app under the Status tab > Trailer icon. See attached pic from owners manual in myChevrolet app on my phone. Occasionally, I have to pull the trailer a short distance before the truck sensor picks up the trailer tire pressure / temp. Of note, this option on my Silverado came with four TPMS sensors for a trailer. I had to pay dealership to install the sensors on the trailer tire rims. I then manually programmed the trailer tire position through the Trailering app and whenever I rotate the tires.

Trailer tire pressure.jpg

On 12/10/2022 at 3:53 PM, SEBFL said:

I have a 2021 Sierra SLT with the Prograde trailering system. I also looked behind the license plate and the pressure monitoring system control module (8445810) is installed. However there is nothing currently in the infotainment  trailer app that refers to the trailer tire pressure. Before I purchase the trailer TPS sensors I would like to confirm that the system is installed and will operate. Called GM gave them my VIN and they were clueless. Any input would be appreciated.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, SEBFL.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 GMC Sierra SLT. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: SEBFL/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 4 months later...

I have a 2020 Silverado 2500 diesel.  Have previously successfully used the manual method of "relearning" the trailer tire pressure for my 2 axle Airstream.  Recently rotated the trailer tires and needed to again use the manual relearn procedure.  This time, while deflating the tires for less than 10 seconds, the truck horn did not signal success and I couldn't tell if the system was working.  While retrying the sequence several times, during yet another try, the DIC indicated "Service Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System" and will not allow me to try again.  I set up a new trailer name in the system and was able to relearn all the tires on that "new" trailer so I know the System still works but I can't clear the message to let me complete the process on the original (actual) trailer.  My dealer seems clueless about how to simply reset the system.  I don't want to delete the existing trailer profile and replace it with my new trailer profile because the original includes maintenance schedule reminders, and trailering MPG, etc.  It seems this is just an error condition default message and should be able to be cleared.  Ideas?

Are you using the 'editing a profile' section or the 'trailer feature setup' section?

In 'Trailer Feature Set-up' there is a section for 'trailer tire pressure setup' -  that is sounds like you've used for the original setup and for the 'new' trailer.

There is also a section (a bunch of pages later) for 'Editing a Trailer Profile'.

It has instructions for 'Tire Pressure Setup' when editing a profile.

From the 'trailer feature setup section":

TTPMS must learn the location of the installed tire sensors to show correct air
pressure and temperature for each tire. To set up, use one of the following options or see a tire or trailer dealer for service. The learning process must be repeated when the trailer tires are rotated or replaced.

See “Editing a Trailer Profile” later in this section for tire pressure sensor relearn information. 

from editing section:

Editing a Trailer Profile 

(and Skipping the stuff before ttpms) 

Tire Pressure Setup
Touch to set up the Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TTPMS) for the Trailer Profile. See “Trailer Tire Pressure Setup” previously in this section for details on the setup.

Also, touch Tire Pressure Setup if the trailer tires were rotated or if the tire pressure sensors in the tires were replaced for this Trailer Profile.

\

The vehicle will need to relearn the tire sensors and their locations.

If TTPMS had been set up previously, the Select Number of Sensors screen will appear after touching Tire Pressure Setup.

If the number of sensors has changed, select the number and touch Next.

If a new number of sensors is selected, the Relearn Sensors pop-up will appear. 

Touch Cancel to go back or touch Relearn to overwrite the current sensors and begin the relearning process.

See “Trailer Tire Pressure Setup” previously in this section.

If number of sensors has not changed, touch Next and the

Learn sensors screen will appear.

On the Learn Sensors screen.

Touch Relearn to overwrite the current sensors and begin the relearning process.

See “Trailer Tire Pressure Setup” previously in this section.

On the Learn Sensors screen, touch Next to go to the Edit Recommended Tire Pressure screen.

On the Edit Recommended Tire Pressure screen, touch a number on the keypad to change the Recommended Tire Pressure for the trailer’s tires.

This will change the number at which the vehicle displays alerts related to trailer tire pressure.

Touch Done to return to the Trailer Profile view.

• 4 months later...
26 minutes ago, Dirtdevilnc said:

I purchased a TPMS tool but I am still unable to get the truck to recognize it and honk to start the learning process. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I had the same issue, for some reason the left front (first one in the setup) would not wake up. The others would but since the LF one didnt it meant everything was in the wrong position. I consulted with my source and he suggested using the method of releasing air from the tire (I believe it was 10#) to put it in learn mode, his idea worked and I was able to connect them this way. No one seems to know why ?  

Actually never mind. I decided just to try pairing the sensors with the TPMS tool despite the truck never honking at me. Lo and behold it was willing to pair, I was for some reason never getting the horn honk I was expecting to hear. All is well and paired now after wasting hours waiting for the stupid honk!

On 9/7/2023 at 6:08 PM, Dirtdevilnc said:

Actually never mind. I decided just to try pairing the sensors with the TPMS tool despite the truck never honking at me. Lo and behold it was willing to pair, I was for some reason never getting the horn honk I was expecting to hear. All is well and paired now after wasting hours waiting for the stupid honk!

What year is the truck?