What do you tow with your beast? Pics and experience please....

• 3 weeks later...

Originally bought the truck to pull our 2015 Keystone Passport Ultralite Grand Touring 24' bunkhouse.  Yes the camper is half ton towable, but I wanted to be able to pull it with ease, so went with 3/4 ton.  That lasted a year.  This weekend the wife and I pulled home a new bigger camper.  Brought home a 2018 Keystone Hideout 28' bunkhouse.  Wanted more room for when the kids have friends come along.  Truck pulled the new camper home and it felt the same as pulling our old camper.  So now have 2 campers sitting in the driveway for the time being.  First pic is our old camper from last year camping, get a glimpse of the truck in pic.  2nd pic is from Saturday as we pulled in the driveway with the new camper.

Passport.jpg

Hideout.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sonders said:

Originally bought the truck to pull our 2015 Keystone Passport Ultralite Grand Touring 24' bunkhouse.  Yes the camper is half ton towable, but I wanted to be able to pull it with ease, so went with 3/4 ton.  That lasted a year.  This weekend the wife and I pulled home a new bigger camper.  Brought home a 2018 Keystone Hideout 28' bunkhouse.  Wanted more room for when the kids have friends come along.  Truck pulled the new camper home and it felt the same as pulling our old camper.  So now have 2 campers sitting in the driveway for the time being.  First pic is our old camper from last year camping, get a glimpse of the truck in pic.  2nd pic is from Saturday as we pulled in the driveway with the new camper.

Passport.jpg

Hideout.jpg

Looks amazing and lots of fun...Enjoy..

13 hours ago, Sonders said:

Passport.jpg

Hideout.jpg

Looks like a great spot to camp

• 9 months later...

We most often tow a small camper or boat. Camper is the reason we upgraded to a 3/4 ton. We bought the camper a couple of years ago when I had a 1/2 ton thinking that we’d be good, but even with our relatively small travel trailer we were a few hundred pounds over payload with family and camping gear (tools, firewood, generator, etc). Having a 3/4 ton does allow me to tow hay and tractors as needed. 

IMG_7815.jpeg

IMG_7547.jpeg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ssgballistics said:

We most often tow a small camper or boat. Camper is the reason we upgraded to a 3/4 ton. We bought the camper a couple of years ago when I had a 1/2 ton thinking that we’d be good, but even with our relatively small travel trailer we were a few hundred pounds over payload with family and camping gear (tools, firewood, generator, etc). Having a 3/4 ton does allow me to tow hay and tractors as needed. 

IMG_7815.jpeg

IMG_7547.jpeg

I love it!!  We have a 23 Grand Design 2800BH that quite a few people tow with a half ton.  How I don't know but aside from being the tow police our 2500 tows it amazingly with a bunch of payload leftover!!  Happy camping all!!!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Here is my beast we just picked up recently. It’s a DRV JX450 toy hauler. 46’ long and weighs just under 21k empty and 24k fully loaded. So far I’m seeing about 8 towing but it’s been mostly in the smoky mountains. The Duramax pulls this load great and has no trouble maintaining freeway speed even on the steep grades in the smokies. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nitro882 said:

spacer.png

Here is my beast we just picked up recently. It’s a DRV JX450 toy hauler. 46’ long and weighs just under 21k empty and 24k fully loaded. So far I’m seeing about 8 towing but it’s been mostly in the smoky mountains. The Duramax pulls this load great and has no trouble maintaining freeway speed even on the steep grades in the smokies. 

That is so cool and a great looking rig you have there.  I love the smoky mountains!!  Just a few hours from us....Gods country as I call it!!  Enjoy all and happy camping!!!

40 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

That is so cool and a great looking rig you have there.  I love the smoky mountains!!  Just a few hours from us....Gods country as I call it!!  Enjoy all and happy camping!!!

Thanks,

We bought the RV in Knoxville. Never been to the area before until last week when we picked it up and it is a beautiful ares for sure. I imagine its really nice in the spring and fall. We plan to be back in late April into early May, we cant wait to go back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nitro882 said:

Thanks,

We bought the RV in Knoxville. Never been to the area before until last week when we picked it up and it is a beautiful ares for sure. I imagine its really nice in the spring and fall. We plan to be back in late April into early May, we cant wait to go back.

That whole area up there is to die for.  You can't go wrong no matter where you stay.  It's Gods country...love it, live it, be happy in it and be blessed...

32 Cobra raceboat. 9000lb boat, 2k steel trailer. 

6 spd 6.6 gas. Tows awesome! We haul it all over the country for the races we run. Lat season it hauled it from Upstate NY, to Florida to Indiana and a few in between. Never missed a beat and I never needed more power. Wanted it maybe...but didnt need it.  Usually average 9-11mpg from 70-77mph. Ive seen 19mpg empty at 74mph on a long run. 

I have a 24 gas 10 speed on order for myself (the race team owns the 6 speed). Really curious to see if theres any noticeable difference back to back. Honestly, I hope there isnt. The 6 speed does great. 

dadgmc.jpeg

gmcdad1.jpeg

• Like 2

2022 GD Imagine 2600RB or a 2001 Malibu Response LX.  The GD is a perfect couples trailer for my wife and I and the gasser does a decent job with it.  The transmission does run a little hotter than I'd like climbing the grades here in Arizona in the summer, but for every towing job it does, it makes 5 runs to Home Depot 2 miles from my house, so I opted for the gasser.

PXL_20230717_170724766.jpg

PXL_20230628_134046338.jpg

• Like 1

I'm like a few others here and don't tow anything massive (27' Coachmen Apex), but towing with our old 1/2 ton (Tundra) was less than pleasurable. Once we got the family loaded up and gear in the bed we were definitely over payload. Everyone likes to get on the forums and say "I can't even feel it back there!" when they tow a 10k lb travel trailer with their 1/2 ton—yeah, sure you can't... I could have gotten away with a 3/4 ton, but after driving one of those and a 1 ton I couldn't notice a difference, so only costing about $1k more I just went with the 1 ton gasser in case we ever get a larger trailer.

Anyway, towing with this is MUCH better, and the 10 speed has been fantastic.

20240104_093124.jpg

Edited by BuckWallace
  • Like 1