5100s with lift and no spacer… vs 5100 stock height with spacer. Or somewhere in middle…

I have a 2014 Sierra slt z71 with the stock rancheros. 

right now I have a 2 inch level spacer and the ride height  looks perfect. However it rides pretty bad. I’m assuming it’s a lot to do with my stock shocks being at 100k but whenever I am off-road and I hit many consecutive small bumps my front end starts to bounce uncontrollably. Feels like the front end bottoms out and wheels leave the ground. Not sure if I need more travel or just better shocks. 

sounds like the 5100s are the way to go. If I wanted best ride possible should I ditch the spacer and max the 5100s lift.

have the 5100 stock height with spacer. Or even somewhere in the middle and have like a 1 inch spacer on a middle lift setting on shocks. Not sure if this is a travel issue or a shock issue so would like some input on this. 

For the appx 2" level, it is recommended to only use the Bilstein 5100 at the max position and no spacer. I can't comment on ride quality because I haven't tried them yet but have read a lot of threads and they are popular. 

I will say that if your spacer is the one on bottom and it has been there for any length of time, get ready for some frustration removing it. I took mine off a couple months ago and I had installed it a couple years back. What I thought was going to be maybe a couple hour project to put on new shocks turned into a full 2 day affair including having to drill out the spacer bolts on one side. I hope you don't run into the same problems I did. Good thing I had a decent drill, new drill bits, mini sledge, long breaker bar and plenty of penetrating oil...

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

For the appx 2" level, it is recommended to only use the Bilstein 5100 at the max position and no spacer. I can't comment on ride quality because I haven't tried them yet but have read a lot of threads and they are popular. 

I will say that if your spacer is the one on bottom and it has been there for any length of time, get ready for some frustration removing it. I took mine off a couple months ago and I had installed it a couple years back. What I thought was going to be maybe a couple hour project to put on new shocks turned into a full 2 day affair including having to drill out the spacer bolts on one side. I hope you don't run into the same problems I did. Good thing I had a decent drill, new drill bits, mini sledge, long breaker bar and plenty of penetrating oil...

Only been on for about 2 months so hopefully can avoid that 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2023 at 8:08 AM, Alex Olsen said:

I have a 2014 Sierra slt z71 with the stock rancheros. 

right now I have a 2 inch level spacer and the ride height  looks perfect. However it rides pretty bad. I’m assuming it’s a lot to do with my stock shocks being at 100k but whenever I am off-road and I hit many consecutive small bumps my front end starts to bounce uncontrollably. Feels like the front end bottoms out and wheels leave the ground. Not sure if I need more travel or just better shocks. 

sounds like the 5100s are the way to go. If I wanted best ride possible should I ditch the spacer and max the 5100s lift.

have the 5100 stock height with spacer. Or even somewhere in the middle and have like a 1 inch spacer on a middle lift setting on shocks. Not sure if this is a travel issue or a shock issue so would like some input on this. 

I run the 5100's at max height and gained 2.25" of front lift. Do not run a spacer with the 5100's. Rides firmer than stock but still comfortable and very controlled.

Your frontend is bouncing uncontrollably because you have no down travel. AKA when the wheels need to travel down after the suspension is compressed, they can't because you have the frontend maxed at maximum expansion.

Edited by 2018GMC
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

I run the 5100's at max height and gained 2.25" of front lift. Do not run a spacer with the 5100's. Rides firmer than stock but still comfortable and very controlled.

Your frontend is bouncing uncontrollably because you have now down travel. AKA when the wheels need to travel down after the suspension is compressed, they can't because you have the frontend maxed at maximum expansion.

Might be overheating/aerating the fluid in the old shocks. New shocks might help some too by slowing the rebound so that it doesn't over-extend to the droop stops as quickly or sharply.

• Like 1