2022 2500 gasser exhaust sound

To start with, I love the way the factory exhaust sounds.  Looking at that heavy ass muffler, I keep wanting to change it out.  I could careless about duel tips or anything like that.  I was just wanting to rid my truck of that giant 55 gallon drum of an exhaust...lol......So I like the factory sound and do not want anymore noise coming from it.  Having said that, a deeper sound would be amazing but I don't want any drone.  Perhaps a deeper note that won't drive you nuts when towing a trailer for 12 hours a day?  Not that I do that for a living, I'm just worried about changing it out with something that will drive me and my wife nuts when towing our camper.  Any advice is truly appreciated.

8 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

We have a lot in common. I think the GM stock sound on these gas trucks is perfect.

My old 2012 1500 had a Corsa exhaust and was extremely happy with it, no drone, a little bit louder than stock on the Highway, no drone. Maybe check them out.

Thanks for the idea, I'll have to look and see what they offer.

I think there is a company called black horse . They make stainless steel high flow oem style mufflers for the 3/4 ton and one ton gassers. The muffler is large though  it is high flow large diameter internals no packing and quiet like stock. I ran across them one day on eBay motors when I was searching for a center console. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Randal Scott said:

I'm looking at these on Amazon. 

Walker 21470 - 3.5 inch inlet and outlet 

Tolalflow - 22421 and AP Exhaust  - XS2772  These are 4 inch inlet/outlet. They are straight though mufflers. 

The walker 21470 is very interesting.  It appears most people who use them have diesels but there was one 6.0l chevy gas review.  That might be the one to try.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 4:11 PM, Randal Scott said:

The Walker one is what I'm thinking of using. The OEM is only 3". So they reduced from 3.5" down To 3" inlet and outlet, then back to 3.5" tailpipe. 

Interesting.  I thought the OEM was 3.5" in and out.  Guess I was wrong.  Either way how about taking one for the team and trying one out.  I really don't want to be the one trying this because I love the way the factory system sounds.  For those that want a different sound I think trying the Walker one would be an excellent idea.  I really would just like to rid the truck of a lot of weight but yet stay close to the same sound.  My fear is it driving us out with noise while towing our camper.  Around town I would love a deep sounding system, but when towing for many hours I don't want it blatting away so we can't hear each other talk.  I'm sure you get what I'm talking about.

I like the sound of the OEM! I want to reduce back pressure, reduce heat ln the exhaust manifold and open flow. I don't want to make it louder. I'm thinking that this Walker muffler being straight through flow and with the length, it will flow and hopefully have good sound without being louder. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got to measure the OEM muffler. It has 3" inlet and a 3.5" outlet. The pipe drops from 3.5 down to 3 about an inch in front of the muffler. That Walker muffler is too long. It's 37 - 38 inches long. Would have to move the hanger in front of the muffler. Have around 32 inches to work with. That would be total length. So I'm looking. Found some prices range from $89 up to $235.00. A lot are stainless steel. Also been looking at cat-back kits. Waiting for the weather to stay nice and my leg to heal.  Don't want a loud sound. Just better flow and a nice sound. 

10 hours ago, Randal Scott said:

Ok, I finally got to measure the OEM muffler. It has 3" inlet and a 3.5" outlet. The pipe drops from 3.5 down to 3 about an inch in front of the muffler. That Walker muffler is too long. It's 37 - 38 inches long. Would have to move the hanger in front of the muffler. Have around 32 inches to work with. That would be total length. So I'm looking. Found some prices range from $89 up to $235.00. A lot are stainless steel. Also been looking at cat-back kits. Waiting for the weather to stay nice and my leg to heal.  Don't want a loud sound. Just better flow and a nice sound. 

I wonder why they necked it down to 3" right before the muffler?  Did the supplier not have the ability to make the muffler 3.5 in and out?  That doesn't make sense to me.  Thanks for the info on the Walker.  Please keep everyone updated on what you decide to do.

Ok, here is some muffler options. They are 3.5" inlet/outlet. Most will need a piece of pipe to fill in.  These are all on Amazon. 

Flowmaster 953558

Dynomax  Ultra Flow  17224

Magnaflow 12909

Tolalflow 22420

Vibrant 1124 Streetpower 

Dynomax Ultra Flow  17517

Flowmaster  74151

Piece of 3.5" id/od pipe 36" long   43366 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Randal Scott said:

Ok, here is some muffler options. They are 3.5" inlet/outlet. Most will need a piece of pipe to fill in.  These are all on Amazon. 

Flowmaster 953558

Dynomax  Ultra Flow  17224

Magnaflow 12909

Tolalflow 22420

Vibrant 1124 Streetpower 

Dynomax Ultra Flow  17517

Flowmaster  74151

Piece of 3.5" id/od pipe 36" long   43366 

Which one do you think you are going to try?

At this point, I'm not sure. I like Flowmaster 953558 and the Magnaflow 12909. But I'm thinking cheap. Meaning Dynomax 17224, but I wonder about sound. Been looking at kits too and thinking what the hell. By the way, my truck is a LT crew cab and the standard bed (6.9'). 

AFE Power 49-44122-P (P for polished and B for black tips).

This is 409 stainless steel. For $550 to $650.

Flowmaster 718111 (aluminized) $750 ? This is the quieter of the 2.

and 

817933  (409 stainless steel)  $900 ?

I would like just to do a kit and be done. The top kit is single and the other 2 are duel exhaust. Waiting to see how much money I be allowed to spend. I'm betting will just a muffler. Kinda waiting to get back on my feet. 

Edited by Randal Scott
had the wrong part number the first time
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm going with AFE Power 49-44122-P cat-back kit. It is 409 stainless steel. And is on sale at Summit Racing for $465.70 plus tax with free shipping. It uses the OEM hanger and bolts to the flange behind the cat. Here is kind of what it sounds like.