Diesel fuel in cold, do i need an additive for anti-gel

So i'm new to the diesel game and can't find a definitive answer. I'm heading up to Mammoth this weekend and will be experiencing temperatures between 10* - 32* F (10 at night as a low and 32 during the day as a high). I will be at a hotel, so i wont be able to plug in the block heater. I have seen online that anything under 32*F might require an additive, some say under 0*. Does anyone have a decent answer and a product they suggest?

If you get fuel close to where you are going it will be treated enough at the pump already to not gel with the temps you will be seeing.

It was 2 degrees here this morning in Minnesota and the lows next week are -10 to -15 degrees where I live, the fuel can start to gel up under 0 degrees using #2 diesel. Using #1 diesel can offer better protection and we treat our fuel once we know it's getting below zero.

I don't even think about it when temps are above zero, never had an issue here.

17 hours ago, CamGTP said:

If you get fuel close to where you are going it will be treated enough at the pump already to not gel with the temps you will be seeing.

It was 2 degrees here this morning in Minnesota and the lows next week are -10 to -15 degrees where I live, the fuel can start to gel up under 0 degrees using #2 diesel. Using #1 diesel can offer better protection and we treat our fuel once we know it's getting below zero.

I don't even think about it when temps are above zero, never had an issue here.

Makes sense about the local area containing the right fuel. I should be arriving with roughly half tank, so i don't know if i'll be fueling in the area.

Does anyone know if the additives can be used above freezing temps. I originally thought that i'd arrive and put an additive in the tank. This made me worried that it would not have made it to the engine, causing the lines, filter, or block to gel. If i add it to a full tank before i depart, it would have time to spread, but would it cause any issues for the main drive up at normal (60*) outside temps

Edited by SC4R3C120W

On 1/26/2023 at 8:28 AM, SC4R3C120W said:

So i'm new to the diesel game and can't find a definitive answer. I'm heading up to Mammoth this weekend and will be experiencing temperatures between 10* - 32* F (10 at night as a low and 32 during the day as a high). I will be at a hotel, so i wont be able to plug in the block heater. I have seen online that anything under 32*F might require an additive, some say under 0*. Does anyone have a decent answer and a product they suggest?

You need a #2 diesel with at least pour point depressant. Or a #2 diesel cut with #1 diesel or K1. I can't remember the volume needed with #1 or K1 but its not much but its gotta mix first. Your manual will address this. 

You can put an additive in if it will make you feel better, it won’t hurt anything. Any that advertise anti-gelling or cold weather use will be fine. At those temps you really don’t need it though and you definitely don’t need the block heater. 

i ended up using Power Service as it came in a small enough bottle for just a weekend's use. Temps dipped down to 2 in some of the areas i was at and had no issues at all throughout the morning or afternoon with cold starts. I remotely started everytime and it started as if temps were normal. Thanks to those for the help.

Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement, 32 fl oz NCB 1025 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

I don't think additives are needed. We use diesel #2 when over 32 deg, #1-#2 blended from 0-32 deg, and diesel #1 anything below 0 in our 2500hd work trucks. We have never run additives and haven't had gelling issues.   

On 1/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, Ronjon said:

I like hot shot winter formula for northern climates. Did me well with the winter storm we had in December. 

I didn't even put anything in mine and it started and ran fine. Granted, my truck is garaged, but I drove it around when it was in the teens outside without issue. 

I realize OP concern has come and gone, but thought I'd add...

I have an Audi Q7 diesel.  Live in Southwest Michigan.  First winter the temps got down to 0F.  I was at work.  Drove the vehicle at lunch time.  No problem.  Went out 5 hours later, would not start.  Acted just like trying to start a car with no fuel.  Car sat there for 4 days until temps warmed up to 32F.  Then it started right up.  I was told summer diesel can gel at 15F.  The Q7 gets 500+ miles per tank.  That would last me a few weeks sometimes.  I fuel at a high-volume station, but maybe I got fuel before they changed to winter formula.  Since then, I use Power Service Diesel Fuel Anti-gel for 3 months during the winter.  It's a hassle, but not as inconvenient as leaving your car at work for 4 days.

• Like 1