AT4X/ZR2 Axle swap into AT4/Trailboss

there are no aftermarket lockers for our trucks yet, so your only option is to fit the ZR2/AT4X diffs to your truck.  Being electronic lockers, it shouldn't be too hard to wire them up to an aux switch panel.

On 2/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, SP25 said:

I couldn’t find any aftermarket lockers that are offered for this generation of the Sierra/Silverado.

Some guy on the Duramax forum reached out to Auburn gears. Sounds like they're making one for the 1500/2500/3500's. Limited slip and e-locker. Dunno the eta

• Like 1

I'm curious what Auburn gears is planning to do for the front differential. I've heard mixed things about the carrier possibly being welded. If it's not, then I'm not sure what the delay has been for aftermarket gear companies.

26 minutes ago, Peter S said:

I'm curious what Auburn gears is planning to do for the front differential. I've heard mixed things about the carrier possibly being welded. If it's not, then I'm not sure what the delay has been for aftermarket gear companies.

I'm not sure, the guy hasn't responded back on the other forum. Usually lockers entail replacing the whole carrier anyways. Or do you mean the gears are welded on? That'd be insane, pop your cover open and let us know.

There’s not a lot of guys wheeling these trucks hard. They’re also relatively new with new axle designs. If this was a Jeep with Dana 44’s or these axles were the same as other more established axles they’d have more options a long time ago. 

The gears aren’t welded to the carriers. That wouldn’t make any sense from a functional or production standpoint. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 4:22 PM, SP25 said:

What up guys.

I'm just wondering if an axle swap is possible. I want the 3.0 and Front/Rear lockers. Looking for any thoughts/ideas/opinions from the experts.

Thx in advance.

SP

But not need. The front has a traction-based system that will get you and pretty much 99.98% of any situation that off road these trucks will find themselves in. For a front locker to be useful it has to be in an extreme situation that no one but a small handful of people may put these trucks in. Save the money and time for other things that are more useful. Unless you want it for a talking point, there are much better things to spend money on that can be actually used. 

Tyler

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 8:21 PM, Peter S said:

Probably a use/necessity thing. These trucks even though they sell in high numbers aren't put in situations where people are clamoring or utilizing a front locker. Why design something so few will use? It isn't like a midsize where maybe 20% off road, full size trucks just aren't trail vehicles and those front lockers are pretty much useless when they already have a traction system up there. Comes down to a business case. These are more for towing and hauling and ranch work, mid size trucks are more for the hard core trails that might necessitate one. 

Tyler

I had a 72 K20 with detroit lockers front and back that was uncontrollable on snowy roads due to the front locking so lt wouldn't steer. Eventually it climbed a snowbank onto a telephone pole and landed on its roof. After replacing the cab I removed the front locker and never missed it

• Like 1