Window sticker and base prices comparison. Quite surprising for no changes concerning the base truck.

So, I'm going to attach 3 window stickers, first one is mine, the other two are from the 2023 Custom gas models.  All 3 are custom models, the only difference is in base price.  I remember seeing even lower base prices on the 2020's and 2021's.  I get that with time prices need to go up, it's life, it's inflation....blah blah blah....anyhow, all of these trucks are identical in basic form.  So that's where I'm coming from.  What do you all think?  This is all about the base price not options.  But I will say, the way my beast is optioned out that I didn't order, whoever ordered my truck ticked off all the right boxes for me.  I LOVE the way my truck is optioned out big time!

windowSticker 1.pdf windowSticker 2.pdf windowSticker 3.pdf

Just like you said,  whats their to say.  year to year inflation alone in regular times is 3% will add 1500 year after year.  

There is some tech advances and such which is some of it,,  but my 2007 1500 cost 27k,  my 2014 very similar equipped was 43k,  that same truck today would cost me 55-60.

So that same truck has effectively doubled in price in less than 15 years,  although my real wage hasnt, or many others.

I keep saying the bottom has to drop out on car prices at some point.  I predict one of three things or a combo in the next decade or less.

1. Leases will expand to 5 years or more

2. Standard bank loan will be 10 years

3.  Ride sharing will be prominent.  Uber is already looking into this.  You would use your app to reserve a car for say a day or certain amount of hours, or a week,  car is dropped off to you and picked up at you location. 

This might make sense to save money for us.  We need to two cars.  But in this scenario we would probably only buy one, the other would be ride shared.  On a typical week,  we need both cars maybe 10hrs of the day,  and really only need one on the weekend.  

• Like 1

I'm way too old and like my vehicles too much to do a ride share arrangement.  I can see it headed that way. (by design IMO)  Seems few of the youngest generation are into cars at all, they merely exist as transportation pods.  Ride share is great for them.  You can walk on my grass if need be, but don't mess with my seat and mirrors!  Rather do my own farting in my seat too!  :)  

Unfortunately a lot of products had a lot of extra price increases.  Any sort of equipment went up a few times last year.  Then we have groceries etc.  Wife asked me to get some laundry bluette on Amazon.  Bought it in Dec '21 for $11.81 and bought it yesterday for $17.56.  Same size, same product.  I guess we should be happy trucks didn't go up almost 50% last year!  Let's hope it gets more stable, but that doesn't seem to be the theme of our betters.        

• Like 1

I bought my last truck used. Use it between 7-10k miles a year. Cost me 5700$. It’s a cream puff. My mother in law gave us a 2015 CRV. It’s the top of the line with paint protection, same with interior. I thought I would hate it. I at the point I’m usually looking. It’s still growing on me. I got used to the CRV. It’s noisy on some roads. That can be remedied. This car has many competitors to choose from. Here’s the kicker there’re under 40K hard loaded. Much cheaper base. New truck, never. Well maybe the maverick low 30s hard loaded. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 7:27 AM, nards444 said:

Just like you said,  whats their to say.  year to year inflation alone in regular times is 3% will add 1500 year after year.  

There is some tech advances and such which is some of it,,  but my 2007 1500 cost 27k,  my 2014 very similar equipped was 43k,  that same truck today would cost me 55-60.

So that same truck has effectively doubled in price in less than 15 years,  although my real wage hasnt, or many others.

I keep saying the bottom has to drop out on car prices at some point.  I predict one of three things or a combo in the next decade or less.

1. Leases will expand to 5 years or more

2. Standard bank loan will be 10 years

3.  Ride sharing will be prominent.  Uber is already looking into this.  You would use your app to reserve a car for say a day or certain amount of hours, or a week,  car is dropped off to you and picked up at you location. 

This might make sense to save money for us.  We need to two cars.  But in this scenario we would probably only buy one, the other would be ride shared.  On a typical week,  we need both cars maybe 10hrs of the day,  and really only need one on the weekend.  

I hear ya.  Cost is eventually going to drive cars into a service or people using them just to get to point a to b.  We would probably always own our own car at least one which probably means taking out a 10 year note for one.  The other car will just be rented when needed.  

On the other hand its silly to think widget A will cost the same price it did 20 years ago

Edited by nards444
  • Like 1