Went to the Drive-in last night with the beast at the Star light Drive In

What a joy to not have to worry about scrapping the undercarriage when driving over the humps.  Back in 2016 we bought a SRT Charger.  That was a beast too, but you always had to worry about scrapping the front bumper and undercarriage of the car.  This time at the Starlight Drive-in in Atlanta was a joy.  The only thing that was kind of annoying is the radio would shut off after 20 minutes or so.  All it took was a press on the on/off button to bring it back it to life.  But we both were able to stretch out, lay back a bit and not worry about a thing.  The thing that made us laugh is that because we were nose high, the cars that drove by, we couldn't see them.  LOL...anyhow, a great drive-in vehicle bar none.  No one was going to overshadow our view and for the others there, they parked onside of us.  So it was all cool....my wife is so not a truck person, but she loves our beast.  What's not to love?  Oh, and the 2 movies kind of sucked.  The first one was knock at the cabin...super weird....the second one was Megan.....ummm well....yeah.  So for us it was about the experience, not necessarily the movies thank goodness....We've gone there probably 100 times in the past.  Great experience for all.  If you live in the Atlanta area, no....it's not a great part of Atlanta, but we've never felt unsafe or threatened in anyway, although I will say we are both armed just in case.  Go there with the family, you will have a blast!!

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, 77xbody said:

I'm 52 and remember going to the drive in with my dad back in the eightes,some places had the speaker that went on the window 😁. They are all gone now and the closest one for me is 2 hours away..but I do miss it

Great memories for anyone as a kid that went to one.  That's why we love going so much.  There was a drive in near where I grew up in Maine that had the old speaker you put on the top of the drivers window.  Absolutely great memories!!  We have gone to other ones in GA, one is in Jesup, GA about 2 hours away from us.  It's a great time to grab a local motel to go back after the movies and explore the area.  Not much to see in Jesup but hey, it was nice exploring it and all about the experience.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 2

Been a very long time since I have been to a drive in, couldn't tell you what movies I saw there, but I do recall having fun. 

You are braver than I if you feel comfortable in Atlanta.  I would not think of taking my family there, and would have a couple extra mags with me just in case in the event I had to make that trip.

My wife IS a truck person, but she rarely drives our 2020.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shadow gray 2020 hd said:

Been a very long time since I have been to a drive in, couldn't tell you what movies I saw there, but I do recall having fun. 

You are braver than I if you feel comfortable in Atlanta.  I would not think of taking my family there, and would have a couple extra mags with me just in case in the event I had to make that trip.

My wife IS a truck person, but she rarely drives our 2020.

You make a good point of it being in Atlanta, and trust me, it's not even close to being in one of the better areas of Atlanta.  But, I will say, once you pass through the gate and pay your money, then go to the theater you want to see, it's actually amazing.  Especially in the summer prior to the movie showing, families are grilling out, throwing footballs, running their RC cars around.  It's like stepping into a different world when you're there.  People are smiling, inviting you to join them for a freshly grilled hotdog...Black, white, hispanic, asian etc etc.  Doesn't matter, everyone is there to have a great time and are very friendly.  We've been going there for over 20 years now.  Not once have we ever felt uncomfortable or threatened.  Like I said, we are both armed but we are no matter where we go just as a precaution.  Anyhow if you and your family ever get the desire go to the drive-in in Atlanta, don't hesitate.  And please let us know so we can meet you there.  I can promise you, you all will love it!!!  Oh and bring a tailgate grill.  Trust me, it's a blast....

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

we have a drive-in about 10 minutes from our house in Southern, Indiana.  Usually take the kids a couple of times during the summer.  I always back into spot and we lay in the bed of truck with tailgate down.  Hardest part is climbing in and out of the bed with the drop off below on the hillside.  The one we go to still has the speakers on the poles, so we can sit it up on the folded up bedcover by our heads and hear perfectly.

• Like 1

During the winter of 1973-74 my future wife was staying at her grandmothers house in cape may, New Jersey. American Graffiti was big. It played probably 7 weeks at the theater and drive in. There’s wasn’t much going for entertainment. My wife’s grandmother couldn’t understand why we just didn’t stay with her. Why would anyone want to see a movie 7 times.😁At the drive in no less. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Sonders said:

we have a drive-in about 10 minutes from our house in Southern, Indiana.  Usually take the kids a couple of times during the summer.  I always back into spot and we lay in the bed of truck with tailgate down.  Hardest part is climbing in and out of the bed with the drop off below on the hillside.  The one we go to still has the speakers on the poles, so we can sit it up on the folded up bedcover by our heads and hear perfectly.

You are making memories your kids will never forget.  I love this!!!

15 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

You are making memories your kids will never forget.  I love this!!!

Yep, we've had a tradition for the past atleast 10 yrs that I can remember on m wife's birthday in June we go there.  There is a pizza place right down the road from the drive-in that we stop and get pizza at and take to the movie with us.  That's our guaranteed 1 drive-in outing per year at minimum.

• Like 1