22 GMC Sierra HD has Tailgate & Emergency Brake that ONLY WORKS WITH ELECTRIC POWER ?

22 GMC Sierra HD has Tailgate & Emergency Brake that ONLY WORKS WITH ELECTRIC POWER ?

so if you have a dead battery you cannot open the tailgate or release the emergency brake ?

no manual bypass release ?

If that is correct then THAT IS A DEFECTIVE DESIGN !

31 minutes ago, Cosmic Charlie said:

so if you have a dead battery you cannot open the tailgate or release the emergency brake ?

no manual bypass release ?

If that is correct then THAT IS A DEFECTIVE DESIGN !

Since 2019 on the 1500s, since 2020 on the HD.

The real poor design for sure is the tailgate.  

11 hours ago, Colby Adkins said:

If your battery is dead, you usually don't need to release the emergency brake. bike race

I'd disagree.... I could think of many reasons why you would want to release the parking brake so you can reposition your truck with a dead battery. For instance...what happens if you need to push the truck back to gain access to the hood? Where there is low clearance like parking under a tree while camping or in a parking garage. Or in a situation where you are in a tight spot and don't have long enough jumper cables to reach from one battery to the other.

Regarding the tailgate... I agree too the tailgate needs a backup. Think about those with hard or soft tonneau covers that the only way to unlock them is with the tailgate down. For instance the Truxedo soft tonneau covers. If your jumper cables are in the bed, and the tailgate won't come down, the only option you have is to cut your tonneau cover open (assuming you can't get jumper cables somewhere else). That's an expensive replacement. 

Edited by Elite130

7 hours ago, Elite130 said:

I'd disagree.... I could think of many reasons why you would want to release the parking brake so you can reposition your truck with a dead battery. For instance...what happens if you need to push the truck back to gain access to the hood? Where there is low clearance like parking under a tree while camping or in a parking garage. Or in a situation where you are in a tight spot and don't have long enough jumper cables to reach from one battery to the other.

Regarding the tailgate... I agree too the tailgate needs a backup. Think about those with hard or soft tonneau covers that the only way to unlock them is with the tailgate down. For instance the Truxedo soft tonneau covers. If your jumper cables are in the bed, and the tailgate won't come down, the only option you have is to cut your tonneau cover open (assuming you can't get jumper cables somewhere else). That's an expensive replacement. 

He's Right You Know !