Top Speed of a 2022 2500HD Gasser

Curiosity got the best of me so a visit to Atlanta Motor Speedway took care of that.  Topped it out 4 times, and the number as everyone probably already knows is 98mph, I'm sure it's written somewhere in the manual and I verified it with Waze.  That speedometer is dead on believe it or not.  At that speed a message will pop up and say 98 is the top speed.  Very cool.  It did it very quickly of which was a surprise to me, that 6.6L gasser is a dream come true!!  So here's the reason I did it several more times.  I wanted to know what gear it topped out at and what rpm.  So the final answer is.....I was shocked at this as well if you are too, it was 3rd gear at exactly 5600rpm.  5700 is redline.  So the gasser tops out at 5600rpm in 3rd gear at exactly 98mph at where the speed limiter kicks in nicely, nothing over the top, just a smooth limiter which is nice.  I'm impressed.  It was smooth as silk too, no wandering, no nothing.  Could have taken my hands off the wheel no joke.  Damn these trucks are amazing these days.  Especially the HD's in my opinion........So back to my 40mph top speed going back and forth to work.  It was fun while it lasted....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

My 05 Crew cab 2500HD Duramax would hit 98 and it was barely breathing heavy, still had a lot left when it hit the limiter. Scary how fast a 7k truck will go. 

That's for sure.  I remember back in the late 70's with the cars so choked down with emissions equipment, they would barely hit 95, and at that speed the catalytic converter would be glowing red hot!!!  I'm so glad those days are behind us...lol...

Atlanta motor speedway aka the freeways around Atlanta haha. Probably just the flow of traffic there. 

I used to live in so cal back in the late 90s and if anyone has driven the 15 out of Los Angeles towards Vegas on Friday they will know 95-100 is what most people are driving. That’s not an exaggeration. I remember we were going 100 and that was the flow in the fast lane. Ppl were still wanting to pass. Total insanity. 

my friend had just gotten a new in 98 olds intrigue and we found out it did 130 on that trip. 

I had my 95 mustang gt back then and found it to do 135ish on that stretch. It’s desert and very straight at times. 

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pryme said:

Atlanta motor speedway aka the freeways around Atlanta haha. Probably just the flow of traffic there. 

I used to live in so cal back in the late 90s and if anyone has driven the 15 out of Los Angeles towards Vegas on Friday they will know 95-100 is what most people are driving. That’s not an exaggeration. I remember we were going 100 and that was the flow in the fast lane. Ppl were still wanting to pass. Total insanity. 

my friend had just gotten a new in 98 olds intrigue and we found out it did 130 on that trip. 

I had my 95 mustang gt back then and found it to do 135ish on that stretch. It’s desert and very straight at times. 

I have no idea what you are talking about.  People around here in Atlanta totally adhere to the posted speed limits.  I have many stories but I'm not sure the legal time line has expired......lol... No comment....nothing to see here....how bout them Braves....had a good season....and the Falcons....got to love them too...  Hey did you hear about those balloons floating around from China???  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.  People around here in Atlanta totally adhere to the posted speed limits.  I have many stories but I'm not sure the legal time line has expired......lol... No comment....nothing to see here....how bout them Braves....had a good season....and the Falcons....got to love them too...  Hey did you hear about those balloons floating around from China???  

How about packers QB Aaron Rodgers spending 4 days in a pitch black hole to find the answers to his future. Cough wacko cough. 
it’s time for the pack to get what they can for him and move on. 

in other news, my kids accidentally let their chucky cheese balloons go in the air and we saw a f22 raptor fly by and put a 400k dollar sidewinder through it. 

• Haha 2

Atlanta, OH boy. I plan my trips east to hit Atlanta on weekends. I live near Houston. In comparison Atlanta is like the Daytona 500 with 6 lane’s bumper to bumper pedal to the metal. Craziest I’ve seen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rdonarski said:

Just out of curiosity, would it be the same on a 2016 6 liter? My son has a 2016 6L and I have the 2020 with a 6.6. I'm always giving him crap (or more often my teenage grandsons) about how underpowered his is. 

I have no idea when it comes to the 6.0L engine.

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Atlanta, OH boy. I plan my trips east to hit Atlanta on weekends. I live near Houston. In comparison Atlanta is like the Daytona 500 with 6 lane’s bumper to bumper pedal to the metal. Craziest I’ve seen. 

I've driven in most all of the major cities and the worst one in my opinion is Dallas.  Their lanes are too narrow.  It's not a cake walk in New York, LA or any of the other large cities, but damn those lanes are narrow going through Dallas.  No one could stay within their own lane.  That was a white knuckle drive for me, I didn't like that at all.

10 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I've driven in most all of the major cities and the worst one in my opinion is Dallas.  Their lanes are too narrow.  It's not a cake walk in New York, LA or any of the other large cities, but damn those lanes are narrow going through Dallas.  No one could stay within their own lane.  That was a white knuckle drive for me, I didn't like that at all.

I avoid Dallas. For 10years I drove through there every week. Even though it’s been awhile going through Atlanta is the place I avoid on a weekday. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pryme said:

Back during the pandemic, I took 14 months off from work.  Best 14 months ever.  We flew all over the place, hell no one was flying at that time but the planes were still in the air, well some of them.   Anyhow my wife and I flew to Vegas, rented a car and drove up to area 51.  We stayed at the Alien Inn in Rachel NV.  Best trip ever.  The alien highway 375 has these straight stretches that are like 10 plus miles long.  I didn't top out our rental SUV but I did drive the hell out of it going to the entry gate at area 51.  I drove it so hard on that 10 mile dirt road that white trucks showed up behind the gates when we got there......lol.......  Dust was everywhere.....the SUV was covered........I felt so bad about how it looked before we took it back I actually took it to a car wash......lol.....We've traveled all over the US and Europe and that is the one we still talk about.

• Like 1

I can remember a turbo diesel 350 keeping up with my 2007 350z from 60 to 135 in South Florida about 15 years ago. After that they quit and I kept the pedal mashed until I hit the limiter at 160 mph. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a stock truck. This was out in the swampland on I-75, commonly called Alligator Alley.

The last few times I went through Miami on my way to Key West about 3 years ago 100 mph was the norm around there. I travel the country a lot and Florida is like the wild west when it comes to speeding. I got stopped doing 100 in a 70 in South Carolina and the cop was threatening to take me to jail. I was used to Florida where I could get a ticket for 113 in a 65 and the cop would just hand me a ticket no questions asked.

I no longer live in Florida though. I sold my house last year to some people from New York. They paid cash. There's way too many people in Florida now for my taste. I'm retiring in Montana, but living in Idaho right now. But I'm in Nebraska on a job at the moment... I travel a lot. 😁

Edited by Dr1ft3r
Wrong highway
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr1ft3r said:

I can remember a turbo diesel 350 keeping up with my 2007 350z from 60 to 135 in South Florida about 15 years ago. After that they quit and I kept the pedal mashed until I hit the limiter at 160 mph. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a stock truck. This was out in the swampland on I-75, commonly called Alligator Alley.

The last few times I went through Miami on my way to Key West about 3 years ago 100 mph was the norm around there. I travel the country a lot and Florida is like the wild west when it comes to speeding. I got stopped doing 100 in a 70 in South Carolina and the cop was threatening to take me to jail. I was used to Florida where I could get a ticket for 113 in a 65 and the cop would just hand me a ticket no questions asked.

I no longer live in Florida though. I sold my house last year to some people from New York. They paid cash. There's way too many people in Florida now for my taste. I'm retiring in Montana, but living in Idaho right now. But I'm in Nebraska on a job at the moment... I travel a lot. 😁

Lots of Californians moving into Montana. My co worker is from Montana and has a bumper sticker that says don’t California my Montana. Haha. 

• Haha 2