2021 AT4 or 2023 LT z71 5.3

Looking at a Used 2021 AT4 with about 75k miles for mid $30's or just buying a new LT z71 for low to mid $50k's

also considered a RAM but it would have to be a larmie or equivelent with lots of options(would also likely be slightly used if i went that route as they seem to have stopped no ETorque production)-for sure not first choice

What would be your pick?

i know the owner of the AT4 and it looks like brand new and has 5.3 , bed cover, bed liner ect.,

i live in a rural area and figure i will be stuck with this next truck for approx 7-10 years at approx 20k miles or so a year(maybe more)-just my commute is more than 10k a year. 

im thinking i may just try to push it to huge milage numbers (250k+) and go with the AT4, it saves almost $20k and i can pay it off soon vs 4 years. Was thinking the value might hold better with a new refresh dash in long run, the tech would be nice to have since i use Android anyways but eh.

im coming from an 08 Ranger for personal but have had a 14-21 chevy trucks for work up until recently when they decided that we dont drive enough work miles for them to justify(this is a whole other story).

Edited by Franko07

New. Lower interest rate, full warranty, 0 miles so you know how it has been driven. Used there are too many dummies who modify trucks incorrectly and cause problems for the next owner. Neglecting maintenance, big level, wide off set tires, wired in accessories, just flat out abuse, etc. I won't chance a used DD, buy new and drive it for a long time pays for itself. 7-10 years later value should not be of a concern, especially when used might cost you more in the long run with any potential repairs. 

Tyler

• Thanks 1

One vehicle has no way to verify owner abuse, no way to verify proper maintenance was conducted, and no warranty to help you if any of the above come around to bite you in the back side.  Heck, it could be a used rental vehicle for all you know.  Yes, you are paying 20K more for a new truck, but you are getting an extra 75k miles out of it and you are in complete control of its maintenance, servicing, modifications, and history.

If I'm expecting to keep the truck for 250K miles (which I personally do), then I want the truck for all 250K miles, not just the last 175K miles where I am paying for parts/labor/repairs based upon the prior owners service habits.  How a vehicle is treated in its early years can drastically affect how it performs in its later years, and for a vehicle to make it to 250K miles it's gonna need to have been properly maintenanced and serviced from the get-go.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Don't buy anything. Don't pay the ridiculous high prices and interest rates. Drive what you have. Let the market crash, because it will! It's hanging onto a thread.

I sold my 19 high country in July and have been putting over $1K away each month in savings since then. Best decision I ever made.  NO reason to pay these stupid high inflated prices on any vehicles. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have bought used vehicles all my life. But I buy them with 40k-50k miles. I change fluids first thing. Then change wear parts earlier than the owners manual states. 

Has worked for 50 years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

Don't buy anything. Don't pay the ridiculous high prices and interest rates. Drive what you have. Let the market crash, because it will! It's hanging onto a thread.

I sold my 19 high country in July and have been putting over $1K away each month in savings since then. Best decision I ever made.  NO reason to pay these stupid high inflated prices on any vehicles. 

This is what i have been doing, waiting...... i have been putting $1500mo into a separate account for this. Have been waiting on the crash for 6mo and really dont think its going to drop all that much more. i was planning to make the purchase in decemberish time frame anyways, however driving a 15 year old single cab ranger 50-75miles daily is absolutely no fun(not bad in town but torture on highway for an hour) 

i have been seeing new z71 with consoles for about $51k and non console for about $48k, i also did the math on a 3.0 and its pretty much the cheapest route at 250k miles minus any HUGE swings in fuel price and baring now major issues. Based on fuel prices in my area and based on MPG ive been seeing would put it at about a $6k difference in just fuel over 200k also assuming i might be prone to better than the rated 24mpg based on what i was getting in the last silvarado i drove with a 2.7l that was getting 23mpg regularly (pretty light drive at 70mph and going pretty much straight the whole time)- oil changes will be done by me and ive found the correct filter and oil combo to be right at $60 which is about the same for 5.3

Part of what people are missing is that the AT4 has not been abused, it was a corporate car that my brother manages. This truck was just used to make highway runs back and forth from bank to bank.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I have bought used vehicles all my life. But I buy them with 40k-50k miles. I change fluids first thing. Then change wear parts earlier than the owners manual states. 

Has worked for 50 years.

After the 90s with exceptions of classic vehicles it’s was rare for me to go  much past 100K miles with my vehicle. My avalanche had all the high mileage stuff done and was virtually a new vehicle with high mileage. I recently acquired my daughter’s odyssey at 100K mileage that needs everything as far as maintenance. Timing belt, 2K, brakes 600$ tune up 1K. Tires, alternator, starter, etc. I asked the Hyundai dealer when my wife’s Genesis hit 100K after 3K worth of maintenance what about the other wear items. When do they wear out? They haven’t a clue. I don’t worry about her car so much. Like my truck they never leave town. The odyssey will be my first after 100K mileage trip vehicle, ever. So would you change an alternator and starter at 127K miles or what? I do know this experiment will only work if I don’t get stranded on the freeway.

43 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

After the 90s with exceptions of classic vehicles it’s was rare for me to go  much past 100K miles with my vehicle. My avalanche had all the high mileage stuff done and was virtually a new vehicle with high mileage. I recently acquired my daughter’s odyssey at 100K mileage that needs everything as far as maintenance. Timing belt, 2K, brakes 600$ tune up 1K. Tires, alternator, starter, etc. I asked the Hyundai dealer when my wife’s Genesis hit 100K after 3K worth of maintenance what about the other wear items. When do they wear out? They haven’t a clue. I don’t worry about her car so much. Like my truck they never leave town. The odyssey will be my first after 100K mileage trip vehicle, ever. So would you change an alternator and starter at 127K miles or what? I do know this experiment will only work if I don’t get stranded on the freeway.

Mechanics of it isnt a big deal, i have the means to do whatever , my dad just retired from being a mechanic for 40+ years and my brother and i both did the job for most of the time from preteens to 30's so im pretty familiar around mainenance and repairs as needed. My brother still works in the industry in a round about way and we all do it on the side from time to time.

Im leaning towards a new one for sure , its just against what ive been taught my whole life, my dad always bought cars from auction and repaired them for our family vs buying new. I really wanted a new colorado but it was clear when we found one that the family and dog wont fit for any lenght of time comfortably same went for tacoma and 4 runner.

New is nice except for the price and depreciation is killer in the first few years. I bought one new car, a 2019 CRV that had a bad fuel dilution problem. Took a $6k hit when I traded it for our 19 Santa Fe.

• Sad 1