GMC Sierra 1500 (4.8 V-8) ignition wire harness

gw1500se

Question

I have a ignition wire harness that seems to have been chewed by squirrels (see photos). It seems to go all the way to the main fuse/control box but all the harnesses I can find seem to imply there is a connector somewhere along the way but I cannot find it. Can someone tell from the photos what I need to repair this? I thought about splicing it but there are connectors that are cut off right at the end. TIA.

IMG_20230311_140749808.jpg

IMG_20230311_140732494.jpg

1 answer to this question

Heat shrink butt connectors are my method of fixing this kind of damage up here in MA, where the salt flies every winter, and moisture is a constant concern 365 days a year.

Some people argue soldering is better, using heat shrink and waterproof shrink-tubing on the solder joints, but solder cracks with vibration. Up here, we get constant and relentless vibration not just from the normal operating characteristics of a motor vehicle, but our legendarily shitty, 3rd-world-country-rivaling road conditions, so heat shrink butt connectors, crimped properly, will be much better than soldering.

The key is to make sure you get EVERY wire back to its other half. Should be easy when cut in the middle like that, since all the wires should be the same color. At connectors it gets tricky, since sometimes automakers like to change wire colors after a connection point.

In a situation like you have here, I'll cut all the wires diagonally, so that you don't end up with a giant mass of butt connections all in one spot. Makes the repair much neater. If you can't spare the wire length, then don't worry about this - as long as it works, all is well.

Edited by Jsdirt