2017 Silverado 3500 IOB 7” screen CarPlay issues

I have the IOB headunit, I have apple CarPlay and android auto settings in the menu but when I try to connect my iPhone it doesn’t recognize the phone, and the projection icon never changes. I’m using an official cable. There is two service bulletins regarding the issue but I’d really hate to go to the dealer and then charge me money only to get “I’m sorry we cant fix it”. Hopefully somone has ran into this issue and can point me in the right direction. Below are the two bulletins. 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10138038-9999.pdfm

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10139225-9999.pdf

Edited by ThomasG94

Some "official" iPhone cables simply won't work.
I had that issue when I had the stock IOB7 radio installed and simply getting a new cable solved it.

Edited by MikeBMW

Finally got around to buying a new cable from apple at Walmart. The headunit still wouldn’t connect. Looks like I’ll have to live with it or upgrade the headunit. Gotta avoid the dealership like the plague. 

• Sad 1

Phones are up to date, and yeah I tried my wife’s iPhone. We have iPhone 11. It might be the usb accessory switch in the consoles that’s bad. I might switch it out and see if it fixes the problem. id like to upgrade it but not really sure how I feel about modifications behind the headunit. You supposedly have to cut out plastic for most upgrades 

On 4/6/2023 at 11:47 AM, ThomasG94 said:

Phones are up to date, and yeah I tried my wife’s iPhone. We have iPhone 11. It might be the usb accessory switch in the consoles that’s bad. I might switch it out and see if it fixes the problem. id like to upgrade it but not really sure how I feel about modifications behind the headunit. You supposedly have to cut out plastic for most upgrades 

One other thing I'd check before replacing anything. Does your truck have the USB port in the top glove box? Mine does and if I plug a phone into that port, I can use CarPlay. If you have that port, I'd try that and see if it works. If it does work, then you would have found the issue.

• Like 1

No usb port on top glove box. I did take apart the armrest and notice rust, looks like someone spilled something in the cup holder before me. Probably shorted out the usb. Bought a new oem usb for the center console. Fingers crossed it fixes it. I’ll keep you all posted 

• Like 1