I want to brag a bit concerning the HD brakes.

Last weekend I hooked up to our camper to try out the Bilstein 5100's I put on the rear to reduce that uncomfortable bounce when hitting a big dip in the road or a bridge abutment.  Problem solved, they work amazing!!  Again thank you all for recommending them.  Another thing I did for the first time was play around with the manual brake controller, of which I've never done before.  So I squeezed it to 100% and it would barely hold my truck still at a stop in drive at idle.  That tells me I need to adjust the brakes on our camper right?  Piece of cake if you've ever adjusted any kind of drum brake.  But here's where I want to brag on the HD brakes.  I had towed our camper around 500 plus miles not knowing that those camper brakes weren't working at all.  That truck slowed us down and our camper without complaining, no warped rotors, no overheated brakes....nothing.  It did it with ease with perhaps a little bit more pedal pressure but I was thinking that was normal.  Our camper weighs 8k loaded, just about a hundred pounds more than our truck with a full tank of gas and the 2 of us in it.  So anyhow, I'm new to the HD market and new to the whole camper thing.  But it's amazing!  I love it all.  Those damn brakes are nothing shy of amazing.  I love my truck even more after I realized this.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

You have a part number for the bilsteins? Also, are you running the stock height/no lift?

Bought them from Amazon...200 bucks.  They are the 5100's.  And yes stock everything.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQC2Z6P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't believe what it says for the model years fit.  They fit mine perfectly.

Edited by Jettech1

Zero bounce, I couldn't believe it.  We hit some hard bridge abutments and huge dips on 280 in Alabama and zero.  You hit the dip, the ass of the truck goes down, then it comes up and that's it.  Those shocks totally eliminated that stressful bounce I use to have.  I've never felt so comfortable towing our camper.  That uncontrollable bounce used to drive me insane.  Now it's zero!

Great topic! Our camper weight is almost the same. I will research more. 

Had a dip on a curve on a mountain road that unloaded the front suspension on our Suburban once. Thought the camper was gonna push us off the edge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IDBrett said:

Great topic! Our camper weight is almost the same. I will research more. 

Had a dip on a curve on a mountain road that unloaded the front suspension on our Suburban once. Thought the camper was gonna push us off the edge.

I have no idea which Bilstein will fit your suburban, their website will tell you.  The only down side....and yes there is a downside, is that if you are empty not towing, they can be a little rough.  I lowered my rear tire pressures the other day and it solved that problem 100%.  I know they are kind of pricey but damn they work...Worth every penny in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I have no idea which Bilstein will fit your suburban, their website will tell you.  The only down side....and yes there is a downside, is that if you are empty not towing, they can be a little rough.  I lowered my rear tire pressures the other day and it solved that problem 100%.  I know they are kind of pricey but damn they work...Worth every penny in my opinion.

Oops! Forgot to add I have (as of 2 days ago) a deposit on a ‘23 2500 Custom, CC, SB, 6.6 gasser! Gonna be great not having a 20+ year old tow rig….

• Like 1

One more downside to the Bilstein 5100's is that they made towing so easy.....I caught myself doing almost 80mph several times. I was like holy hell....set the cruise Jet....set the cruise on 65...stay out of trouble buddy....I was coaching myself...lol...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IDBrett said:

Oops! Forgot to add I have (as of 2 days ago) a deposit on a ‘23 2500 Custom, CC, SB, 6.6 gasser! Gonna be great not having a 20+ year old tow rig….

Congrats!!  You will love it....I love my 2022 custom model gasser....Best damn truck on earth!!!

Edited by Jettech1

11 minutes ago, IDBrett said:

Thanks! Fanciest truck I’ll ever have owned.

Oh and be sure to put the Bilstein 5100's on it....Best mod ever to reduce that unwanted bounce.  Drop your rear tire pressure to 60psi and all is good when unloaded.  Loaded pump those bad boys up to 75 and enjoy the ride!

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, IDBrett said:

That’s a good lookin rig!

Your user name? Fix stuff that flies 6 miles in the sky? I do.

Yup...almost 36 years now.  Lol....I can't believe how much time has passed..  So what is your high altitude addiction?

2 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

Yup...almost 36 years now.  Lol....I can't believe how much time has passed..  So what is your high altitude addiction?

Purple tails, no pax. Same time in the toolbox as you. Coming up on 27 with the purple. It’s a small world and even smaller in aviation. Guarantee we know some of the same folks.