I want to brag a bit concerning the HD brakes.

59 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

I do not have luck with brake rotors. On my Impala, it's rotors once a year. Had a SD250 -warped them. 1500 Silverado, warp. My HD? after initial seasoning from new, awesome. When I had my old 3500 silverado 3 door LB, again, massive awesome brakes. 

Got the new HD home today, drove off with 8 miles. Almost 100 by the time I came home. I'm not expecting much today, but they are spongy and I kind of expect it for now. 

Mine felt spongy too when brand new. Eventually they just slowly became awesome. I’m not ever hard on the brakes. Very light on the pedal. I mean my front and rear pad life just went from 99% to 98% with just over 5k miles

1 minute ago, Pryme said:

Mine felt spongy too when brand new. Eventually they just slowly became awesome. I’m not ever hard on the brakes. Very light on the pedal. I mean my front and rear pad life just went from 99% to 98% with just over 5k miles

I just looked at mine today and I'm at 98 and 95% with 8600 miles.  Most of that sponginess went away after a few thousand miles.  So far in my opinion, best brakes ever!  Time will tell of course but so far....AMAZING!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I just looked at mine today and I'm at 98 and 95% with 8600 miles.  Most of that sponginess went away after a few thousand miles.  So far in my opinion, best brakes ever!  Time will tell of course but so far....AMAZING!

Interesting, im at 2600ish miles and my brakes are 94 and 96% already. Front and rear.  

48K on my 2020, it says front brakes are 92% and rears are 94%.  A good part of that is I live in the country and have very minimal city driving.  Been very satisfied with the brakes on this beast.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, XY74 said:

48K on my 2020, it says front brakes are 92% and rears are 94%.  A good part of that is I live in the country and have very minimal city driving.  Been very satisfied with the brakes on this beast.    

I wish I lived in the country.  Hopefully someday...Because of my work I've had to live near a big city my whole adult life.  I hate it...but hopefully someday I can move to the country and wave to people I don't know and help others and talk about life to others while drinking a cold one.

I grew up in the city during a good time to grow up there.  (be home when the street lights came on)  Then my job sent me to the country and I couldn't imagine moving back to "civilization".  Of course all my kids that grew up out here all live in the city.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, XY74 said:

I grew up in the city during a good time to grow up there.  (be home when the street lights came on)  Then my job sent me to the country and I couldn't imagine moving back to "civilization".  Of course all my kids that grew up out here all live in the city.  

I chased the money.  But after over 36 years, I know I screwed up.  It hurts, it stings, but I will own up to it.  I screwed up chasing the money.  It wasn't worth it at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 7:51 PM, Jettech1 said:

Last weekend I hooked up to our camper to try out the Bilstein 5100's I put on the rear to reduce that uncomfortable bounce when hitting a big dip in the road or a bridge abutment.  Problem solved, they work amazing!!  Again thank you all for recommending them.  Another thing I did for the first time was play around with the manual brake controller, of which I've never done before.  So I squeezed it to 100% and it would barely hold my truck still at a stop in drive at idle.  That tells me I need to adjust the brakes on our camper right?  Piece of cake if you've ever adjusted any kind of drum brake.  But here's where I want to brag on the HD brakes.  I had towed our camper around 500 plus miles not knowing that those camper brakes weren't working at all.  That truck slowed us down and our camper without complaining, no warped rotors, no overheated brakes....nothing.  It did it with ease with perhaps a little bit more pedal pressure but I was thinking that was normal.  Our camper weighs 8k loaded, just about a hundred pounds more than our truck with a full tank of gas and the 2 of us in it.  So anyhow, I'm new to the HD market and new to the whole camper thing.  But it's amazing!  I love it all.  Those damn brakes are nothing shy of amazing.  I love my truck even more after I realized this.

if you have a new camper all electric brakes when new dont work for ******. they need to be burnished. i have bought 4 new campers and noticed you need to run the brake controller on 10 for a while. soon youll notice they start to brakse so sensitive that 3 might be too much. they should self adjust just fine on thier own.

try a higher setting and periodically zap them at full power, if you dont feel anything hold it there for a few seconds at a time. let them cool and blast them again.

it will take about 5 minutes of actual full braking time to get them adjusted and burnished. dont overheat them, just brake them in a little and youll be surprised. my 10,000 5th wheel with 2 axels can stop my truck no problem at level 5. sometimes if i am on mountain passes and there has been a lot of brake applications i have to turn them down to about 3.5. 

• Like 1