Who designs these parking lots? for what, Munchkin cars?

I'm still in that "I'm not parking near anyone" mode of paranoia. This is why I didn't want 2 doors I don't need and Crew is a hell no~ It feels like everything got a lot small this last week with the new truck. But the ride and quietness, feel? jeezus we're so spoiled today when I reflect on the trucks I've owned. Back in the 70's you couldn't buy a Lincoln or Cadillac as nice yet used a similar parking spot as today. 

parkinglot.thumb.jpg.fb3da05d5dfbafac2eb14372b12d6543.jpg

Edited by Leonardo Willi

I park at the back of the lot as much as possible. These trucks are long and wide. 
so, speaking of tiny cars.  In 2017 I was driving a lot further and picked up a Mitsubishi Mirage 5spd hatchback. Had a 1.2L 3 banger. That car was like 150” long and 2050lbs. Knocked down 50+ miles per gallon. Wish I kept it for buzzing around in. 

• Like 1

Yeah they are big girls, always had a truck so kinda used to it....my 3rd 2500HD and had dbl and crew cabs.....I actually kinda wish I had the Iong bed.....I mean I am already screwed in parking lots so might as well be all the way screwed, lol

You get used to it though

• Like 1

When I grew up the average house was around 1200 Square feet with one bathroom and 3 bedrooms. The average truck was a two doors with a radio and heater. The family cruiser was a 4 door car that was smaller than the average truck. That the MSRP was about the price of an economy car today. A family did well with one pay check. Mom stayed home and kids behaved in school. I had a bicycle, a bat and glove. In the summer I worked on a local farm and mowed our lawn. About once a month we had pizza or KFC. We all watched one tv together and didn’t worry about a risqué event. Kids didn’t have multiple week day events that the parents shuffled them to out of guilt. Because that’s what the everyone did. Followed by a drive through then home to bed. On Sunday we went to church. On Monday we pledged to our flag and said a silent prayer before class. Teachers weren’t trying to feel up students or change their sex. They taught history and respect. And our cars fit in parking lots.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We had frozen pot pies and swanson tv dinners. 'Bout all I can remember for "processed" food. Seems now there are more frozen isles than produce isles in grocery stores. 

Our family ate at the same time of the day, together. 

• Like 2

A few years ago, I saw an 80's Chevy RCLB 1500 in a parking lot and thought it was an S-10. Even my RCSB looked huge next to it. A Civic today is larger than the Accord of a few decades ago. Need a wheel borrow to carry out a Payday bar after emptying it of cash to buy it. 

I grew up with four brothers in a three-bedroom, one bath 900 square foot ranch on a 1/2-acre lot. Big garden. We had dad's pickup and mom car. You learned to share space and time. I think we got a tv when I was about 8. Radio before that on the fridge. One bicycle for the lot of us. 

Buying a new car was rare but not unheard of. It was an event the whole family participated in. Dad would bring home the order books with swatches of material and paint chips. Options book was unreal. You could build just about anything. Even a four door with a four speed. He bought a wagon like that. 65 Ford four door wagon 240 six-cylinder four speed in white with red interior. He gave like $1900 for it and waited about 30 days to get it built and delivered. Guy he worked with talked him out of it a few months later. 

• Like 1

It's so interesting to see the evolution of the car industry and how our perception of vehicle size in general changes. The difference even in the past couple years alone is noticeable. I remember when I first started driving my 2014 how giant I thought it was and how I would just park far from civilization to avoid the hassle of trying to fit in a space between two other vehicles.

Now? A present day Ram 1500 or even Sierra/Silverado will be right next to me and it makes my truck look significantly smaller.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KARNUT said:

When I grew up the average house was around 1200 Square feet with one bathroom and 3 bedrooms. The average truck was a two doors with a radio and heater. The family cruiser was a 4 door car that was smaller than the average truck. That the MSRP was about the price of an economy car today. A family did well with one pay check. Mom stayed home and kids behaved in school. I had a bicycle, a bat and glove. In the summer I worked on a local farm and mowed our lawn. About once a month we had pizza or KFC. We all watched one tv together and didn’t worry about a risqué event. Kids didn’t have multiple week day events that the parents shuffled them to out of guilt. Because that’s what the everyone did. Followed by a drive through then home to bed. On Sunday we went to church. On Monday we pledged to our flag and said a silent prayer before class. Teachers weren’t trying to feel up students or change their sex. They taught history and respect. And our cars fit in parking lots.

When I grew up our house was 20 by 40 as they use to call it...3 bedrooms one bath...I had a sister come into play when I was seven....I got used to pissing outside....lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You cats are entertaining ~ And I don't mind a derail, I'm awesome at jumping the fence into another field no problems. 

And about them old days. Go watch the miniseries "deadwood" and tell me how bad you'd really like to live in the horse and buggy days - that's nasty 

OK, since we got the parking covered - how about how tall trucks have become? I've noticed that last week driving around a bit while sitting at any light, I stick out like a sore thumb as the tallest thing sitting there. 

Which brings me back to the "old days" ~ one thing no one is doing is leaning on the side of the bed and reaching into the cooler for another beer. Today, we'd be peaking over the edge of the bed and seeing a head with a hat on the other side. But luckily I've got this cool tailgate that folds down into a back porch with steps.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

You cats are entertaining ~ And I don't mind a derail, I'm awesome at jumping the fence into another field no problems. 

And about them old days. Go watch the miniseries "deadwood" and tell me how bad you'd really like to live in the horse and buggy days - that's nasty 

OK, since we got the parking covered - how about how tall trucks have become? I've noticed that last week driving around a bit while sitting at any light, I stick out like a sore thumb as the tallest thing sitting there. 

Which brings me back to the "old days" ~ one thing no one is doing is leaning on the side of the bed and reaching into the cooler for another beer. Today, we'd be peaking over the edge of the bed and seeing a head with a hat on the other side. But luckily I've got this cool tailgate that folds down into a back porch with steps.

Trucks are fun when it’s windy. During thunderstorms it’s fun watching them pull off the side of the road. I always had weight in my 3/4, 1 tons so that wasn’t a problem. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Ground clearance is a must for me in mountains, snow, mud today is terrible.
When I lived in suburban areas I drove lower ground clearance vehicles. This trail boss is about perfect and there is 720 lbs of sand tubes aft to stabilize it being sprung so stiff. We climb a windy rock mud sand road over 1000’ up to get to the hacienda. 
So see KARNUT we are in the same page every so often. 😂

Hey Yotaman I’m BNCEL(  barely celibate)  as my age and RPG shrapnel ruined certain plumbing parts that are failing with wear and damage.  😳😂🫡

• 3 weeks later...

As I shop for my next truck, I'm finding parking to be of major concern.  My truck doubles as my daily driver, which means parking at the airport about 20x/year.  Sure would love if it fit in the parking garage like my half ton.  The thought of buying a $75k+ vehicle and parking it in the AZ sun spikes my OCD to the moon.

I just returned from a week long camping trip near San Diego where we spent some time in the city.  There were several parking spots that my half ton fit "like a glove" that a 21" longer HD would not have.  Including on my cramped, beach-front camp-site (photo).  Why is the standard bed 6'10" now?  That's just dumb...

At least the trucks are so tall now that they won't keep making them taller.  They fit under a standard 7' garage door by about 1 inch when you account for the door trim.  I hope they're not stupid enough to keep lifting them higher and higher.

But all this "I'm gonna be a big rig when I grow up" nonsense has to stop.  If I could get the 6.6L gasser with 10 speed and HD suspension in my 2016 Crew Cab Short Bed 1500 Denali to get me around 3000 lbs payload, I couldn't give GM my money fast enough.

Right now, RAM is the leader in my search, even though their truck is the most outdated.  A RAM Crew is shorter than a GM double cab and is a somewhat more tolerable mere 10" longer than my current truck.

PXL_20230526_192449268.jpg

Edited by UWSkier
  • Thanks 1