In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2022 Colorado V6 Fueling Question?

Mike1M

Question

I noticed when Fueling up my Colorado I use the Auto Fill Function on the Nozzle but it seems to Shut Off long before I can usually put another $12.00 to $16.00 moregas in before it is Actually FULL? is this Commn the first Time I filled it it shut off I thought It was fill like my 2017 Silverado but when I drove down the road the Gauge was not near fill so THis is why I am asking. Adding more gas makes it longer driving when I am making a long distance trip. As I barely use 1/4 when I do add the extra fuel. Just odd has done it at different Gas Stations so it it is not just at the same station? 

Anyone else Notice this with their 2022 Colorado V-6?

Mike1M

6 answers to this question

On 5/16/2023 at 2:36 PM, Mike1M said:

I noticed when Fueling up my Colorado I use the Auto Fill Function on the Nozzle but it seems to Shut Off long before I can usually put another $12.00 to $16.00 moregas in before it is Actually FULL? is this Commn the first Time I filled it it shut off I thought It was fill like my 2017 Silverado but when I drove down the road the Gauge was not near fill so THis is why I am asking. Adding more gas makes it longer driving when I am making a long distance trip. As I barely use 1/4 when I do add the extra fuel. Just odd has done it at different Gas Stations so it it is not just at the same station? 

Anyone else Notice this with their 2022 Colorado V-6?

Mike1M

Its actually full.  If you are getting another 3-4 gallons in there, you are likely pumping gas into the EVAP canister and will cause damage.  

• Like 1

That’s been the process for awhile stop at first click. It’s a good idea to know how many gallons your vehicle holds at a certain mark on gauge. I’ve never experienced a false full. It’s not worth damaging the evaporator system stopping a few miles sooner. 

Okay but when I can get an extra 80 miles on a Tank otherwise I get a lot Less. Looks like I will have to have the Dealer Check this as well as my New Issue The Low Fuel Popped up on the IP Display as did the Low Fuel Light. Drove another 5 miles put in 6 gallons when it stopped and It showed on the Fuel Gauge Fill!

Never heard You could fill the Fuel Canister never happend on my 2000 S10, 2005 Silverado, 2011 Silverado or my 2017 Silverado??? 

Mike1M

On 9/3/2023 at 4:38 PM, Mike1M said:

Okay but when I can get an extra 80 miles on a Tank otherwise I get a lot Less. Looks like I will have to have the Dealer Check this as well as my New Issue The Low Fuel Popped up on the IP Display as did the Low Fuel Light. Drove another 5 miles put in 6 gallons when it stopped and It showed on the Fuel Gauge Fill!

Never heard You could fill the Fuel Canister never happend on my 2000 S10, 2005 Silverado, 2011 Silverado or my 2017 Silverado??? 

Mike1M

90% of the time when you hit that first click when filling, its full.  You "might" be able to hit one more click if you wait about 20-30 seconds to let the tank settle, but that's it.  If you are getting another few gallons in, it could easily get pushed into the EVAP system and fuel soak the EVAP canister.  We've pulled them at work and have seen fuel come out of them before.  

Just because you can keep clicking in more fuel, doesn't mean you should.  That 80 miles of range, figure what 20mpg?  You are forcing in 4 more gallons.  

Not a Colorado, but my 2022 Silverado is accurate.  24 gallon tank, if I get to the LOW warning, it will click off at 22 gallons.  That means I had about 2 gallons left in the tank.  22+2 = 24 gallons.  LOW warning for me, assuming I'm averaging 20mpg, that's 2 gallons left, 40 miles of range.  

You do sound like you might have a fuel level sender issue though if you are getting that and the tank isn't empty.  I could imagine the gauge failed if the tank has been repeatedly overfilled and it has now bent the float arm.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 3:38 PM, Mike1M said:

Mike1M

Oh, it happens. True you may not sense or feel it in operation but if you do a comparative UOA you'll find it if you are doing this as a practice. 3% over my baseline when I adopted that practice and it cost me some repair money and time on my old back purging it out of the EVAP can, replacing valves ect. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear