Couple cool things and first 400 miles, impressionable thoughts of the 24' HD

2 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

I was on my 3rd car before I had one with power steering, power brakes and an automatic. All this tech is making us soft. 😎

Come on boomer, lol.  Power steering has been standard for 50-60 Years.  Power doors, locks,etc have been for 20

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

At 67 and using my phone for entertainment and GPS already going through my radio via Bluetooth. I don’t see the point of CarPlay. We’re adding too much tec in driving machines that become giant technology failures. I  own both ends of the vehicle spectrum. 2006 is when GM jump the shark. My mother in law got frightened out of driving by technology. Simplicity is longevity.

Thats kind of my point with it.  It just projects your phone and really doesnt control anything with the truck.  With that said if you dont have built in NAV and want to oprate the phone/text, etc it is actually better then plain bluetooth.    Around town going to work etc, I find carplay annoying and pointless.  Long trips, phone use, pandora etc, its actually useful,

17 minutes ago, nards444 said:

Thats kind of my point with it.  It just projects your phone and really doesnt control anything with the truck.  With that said if you dont have built in NAV and want to oprate the phone/text, etc it is actually better then plain bluetooth.    Around town going to work etc, I find carplay annoying and pointless.  Long trips, phone use, pandora etc, its actually useful,

I have several vehicles with GPS, never use them. I don’t even attempt the voice commands in a couple of my vehicles. I just don’t like distractions while driving. I still use an iPod if I want music. I have my phone going through Bluetooth my wife’s is plug in a usb. One hit on a button on the steering wheel we switch phones. 

2 hours ago, nards444 said:

Come on boomer, lol.  Power steering has been standard for 50-60 Years.  Power doors, locks,etc have been for 20

I had a 1982 Toyota pickup with no power steering. No power doors or locks either. 

2 hours ago, Pryme said:

I had a 1982 Toyota pickup with no power steering. No power doors or locks either. 

Yep! I worked with a guy who bought a brand new Toy 4X4 right about then, 82-83 and didn't even have AC - This was in Va, he said it didn't get hot enough to need it. He was from Fl. 

Sad part about those Toyota's of that period, the beds rusted off them super fast but the driveline was bulletproof. 

Edited by Leonardo Willi
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Yep! I worked with a guy who bought a brand new Toy 4X4 right about then, 82-83 and didn't even have AC - This was in Va, he said it didn't get hot enough to need it. He was from Fl. 

Sad part about those Toyota's of that period, the beds rusted off them super fast but the driveline was bulletproof. 

Two of our work trucks in the 80s were 82 Toyotas. They were loaded with 50 gallon fuel tank a loaded tool box and an air compressor. The third was a Mazda truck and our 72 Ford 1 ton crew cab. We put a ton of miles on them. Beat them up and down pipelines and utility lines. After switching to diesels they became kid’s training vehicles. Never had a problem except if water got on a distributor cab it cracked. No rust with the bed. Our shop Forman wrecked both of them a year apart, somewhere in the late 90s. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nards444 said:

It wasnt std on Chevrolets in 57, 62 or 66. They had armstrong steering and bigfoot brakes. 

The picture I put up of my old silver Chevy, I'm thinking 65-66 possibly? It had the big 6, 292 sound right? no power steering. Might have had only an AM radio too.

Digging further I found that in 1966 was first time for reverse lights which I have - and a rear bumper was not standard eq- There was a front end styling change for 67 so that deduces my silver junk pile is a 66. i was shttn' diapers in 66 but still think those were cool trucks. The hood was something, enough steel to make most of a new car today. 

20 hours ago, Leonardo Willi said:

I just came across an old photo of my first Chevy truck - Just keeping it real, yeah, all this pretty stuff, fancy dandy comfort and tech is incredible, but, that's not how we got here. This is probably why today's product is so amazing to some (like myself), and just a "meh" to others. Appreciation is the key - it's the roads travelled that make the story interesting. circa 86/87ish - my $60 Chevy, (or what was left of it) 🤣 check out where the rockers would normally be - floor mats kept you dry if it was raining and roadkill chunks from sticking to your pants. Anybody spot the year of this thing? It was the 80's, don't remember a lot of detail from then 😄 ~ it was a 60's something is all I remember, but it was better than walking so I loved this pile of scrap. Never left me on the side of the road I'll give her that~ how I'll never understand. 

MeandtheoldSilverChevy.thumb.jpg.2050b875edc73007cf5e0dfbee95e5bd.jpg

Seeing you post an old picture reminds me of this picture I have. 

I’m the baby!

411ACB34-FF9D-4989-A9DD-22E220883E0C.jpeg

• Like 3

Oh WOW! 4WD Camper Special something there! That would've been one hell of a rig in the day for sure! 

So that's your first set of wheels as well there in the foreground?  😂

Edited by Leonardo Willi
  • Haha 2

OK Pryme, since this is my thread I can do what I want, and you took us back, I'll go back about as far as I can go with photo evidence. Here's a picture of me and my first driving experience - not a truck, a Rambler wagon (fairly certain) You can see I have my racing suit on while my aunt is helping get my belts tight :D 

MyFirsttimedriving.thumb.jpg.7460d4e811cf40403aa412812aa2bf8c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

OK Pryme, since this is my thread I can do what I want, and you took us back, I'll go back about as far as I can go with photo evidence. Here's a picture of me and my first driving experience - not a truck, a Rambler wagon (fairly certain) You can see I have my racing suit on while my aunt is helping get my belts tight :D 

I love it all!!

9 hours ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Look at that car seat haha. 

23 hours ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Trucks have come a long way. But thankfully so have infant car seats. That thing is unbelievable! 

• Like 1