Couple cool things and first 400 miles, impressionable thoughts of the 24' HD

I’m curious as to if anyone with a 24 with the MultiPro tailgate can tell me if it still has the indentation with the drain holes in the top of the tailgate or if GMC/Chevy got smart and decided not to let water enter the tailgate and run down inside onto the electronics. I’m asking because I am in my third inner tailgate switch (I have now siliconed the holes on my 22 as recommended by the GMC technician). 
thanx
Hank

44 minutes ago, 4x4Hank said:

I’m curious as to if anyone with a 24 with the MultiPro tailgate can tell me if it still has the indentation with the drain holes in the top of the tailgate or if GMC/Chevy got smart and decided not to let water enter the tailgate and run down inside onto the electronics. I’m asking because I am in my third inner tailgate switch (I have now siliconed the holes on my 22 as recommended by the GMC technician). 
thanx
Hank

Someone already mentioned the holes remain. Dumbest thing I’ve seen recently. 

• Thanks 1

Black Beauty got her first real workout today filling the pool. First I hauled 3 loads with bed tank, bout' 27/2800 pounds loaded. Then grabbed a 1000 gal tank from a farmer bud to speed things up. Tank in bed w/trailer loaded, right about 14,000 pounds hauling and pulling/stopping.

I think I originally said it and I'll say it again - although I had certain expectations for this much of an upgrade/improvement, I'm a little impressed with things I didn't think I'd notice or really thought of. much of it comes down to just the solid feel of the truck.

* Pulling? piece of cake. I punched the "towing" button on, shifts way different up and down, VERY firm. 

* Stopping? - that's a load back there and if I have to pick one over the other? my 2016' stopped a hell of a lot better doing the same job with the same tanks. These old water tanks have no brakes, it's all truck. 

* Power? for me in my situation, the 6.0 had plenty, 6.6 has plenty as well, but she's a heavy drinker - I'll be done tomorrow, fill back up and do some math. I used trip2 for data to play with. I'm pretty flat here, straight roads and I set cruise to 55 loaded. It just purred, drank a lot, but hummed along.

* Silent, smooth and plush - that's how I'd describe the ride under load. My 2016 reg cab/LB had a funny harmonic feedback thing in the driveline when loaded. It was a minor thing that only happened with a particular set of conditions, but it was there, and I had read about it with others. Maybe it's that coffee can sized aluminum driveshaft, or not, but nothing. No driveline vibes, feedback or funky quirks like that. 

Up 700 miles now - "Still Lovin' It" and one funny little thing I caught myself laughing at myself - couple times grabbed the door for the back seat and went "Hmmm, no steering wheel behind door #2 try again"  Acclimation, all acclimation.

Firstworkout.thumb.jpg.35b133182eb37c4f1ddf51fd29711ffb.jpg

Edited by Leonardo Willi

8 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Black Beauty got her first real workout today filling the pool. First I hauled 3 loads with bed tank, bout' 27/2800 pounds loaded. Then grabbed a 1000 gal tank from a farmer bud to speed things up. Tank in bed w/trailer loaded, right about 14,000 pounds hauling and pulling/stopping.

I think I originally said it and I'll say it again - although I had certain expectations for this much of an upgrade/improvement, I'm a little impressed with things I didn't think I'd notice or really thought of. much of it comes down to just the solid feel of the truck.

* Pulling? piece of cake. I punched the "towing" button on, shifts way different up and down, VERY firm. 

* Stopping? - that's a load back there and if I have to pick one over the other? my 2016' stopped a hell of a lot better doing the same job with the same tanks. These old water tanks have no brakes, it's all truck. 

* Power? for me in my situation, the 6.0 had plenty, 6.6 has plenty as well, but she's a heavy drinker - I'll be done tomorrow, fill back up and do some math. I used trip2 for data to play with. I'm pretty flat here, straight roads and I set cruise to 55 loaded. It just purred, drank a lot, but hummed along.

* Silent, smooth and plush - that's how I'd describe the ride under load. My 2016 reg cab/LB had a funny harmonic feedback thing in the driveline when loaded. It was a minor thing that only happened with a particular set of conditions, but it was there, and I had read about it with others. Maybe it's that coffee can sized aluminum driveshaft, or not, but nothing. No driveline vibes, feedback or funky quirks like that. 

Up 700 miles now - "Still Lovin' It" and one funny little thing I caught myself laughing at myself - couple times grabbed the door for the back seat and went "Hmmm, no steering wheel behind door #2 try again"  Acclimation, all acclimation.

Firstworkout.thumb.jpg.35b133182eb37c4f1ddf51fd29711ffb.jpg

The brakes get better with time.  Like 2500 miles time....before that they suck...lol...but they do get a lot better after that.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 3

On 5/29/2023 at 8:31 AM, Pryme said:

Someone already mentioned the holes remain. Dumbest thing I’ve seen recently. 

Guess I need to investigate this? Actually, I feel like a dumbass because I didn't know you could do a delete on the thing with an SLE for a standard gate. It seems kind of mickey mouse to me, little sloppy, loose I guess? And the one zinger I noticed right off the bat - DO NOT EVER drop both gates with anything in the receiver hitch. Today I thought "wonder if there's a lockout option to prevent this quite easy to do disaster?" Don't think there is, but I like the idea. You could have an "oops" really easy.

6 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Guess I need to investigate this? Actually, I feel like a dumbass because I didn't know you could do a delete on the thing with an SLE for a standard gate. It seems kind of mickey mouse to me, little sloppy, loose I guess? And the one zinger I noticed right off the bat - DO NOT EVER drop both gates with anything in the receiver hitch. Today I thought "wonder if there's a lockout option to prevent this quite easy to do disaster?" Don't think there is, but I like the idea. You could have an "oops" really easy.

I remember watching a video from TFL that had a high end truck that said if there is a hitch installed the tailgate won't drop.  I have no idea if that is true.

10 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I remember watching a video from TFL that had a high end truck that said if there is a hitch installed the tailgate won't drop.  I have no idea if that is true.

I think that’s if a trailer and connector is hooked up. 

And perhaps a little off topic but talking about brakes.  I was slowly creeping through the parking lot at Delta today to put my baby in the parking garage to where the sun isn't baking on it.  And what did I hear damnit...some slight squealing from my brakes.  I'm like no way....did it again, yup they were making a little noise.  So after work going home I hammered on those bastards....no squealing now....I guess they needed some heat or something.  I cannot handle abnormal noises.  I baby that thing 95% of the time.  It needed to be run hard and braked hard.  Problem solved....These HD's do not like to be babied.  I'm totally new at owning one but they need to be run hard and put away wet from my early experience owning one.  If not, they start to complain in different ways.  Weird. 

1 hour ago, Jettech1 said:

And perhaps a little off topic but talking about brakes.  I was slowly creeping through the parking lot at Delta today to put my baby in the parking garage to where the sun isn't baking on it.  And what did I hear damnit...some slight squealing from my brakes.  I'm like no way....did it again, yup they were making a little noise.  So after work going home I hammered on those bastards....no squealing now....

...These HD's do not like to be babied.  I'm totally new at owning one but they need to be run hard and put away wet from my early experience owning one.  If not, they start to complain in different ways.  Weird. 

My first thought was "scroll through the pages on your instrument cluster and ck the brakes".... You got that option right? I don't have a clue how or if it really works, but I've seen some numbers come up on the dash. I believe it about as much as any politician but there's even some of them that are honest so who knows, maybe it's real - I'm not from Oklahoma, but the rule still applies :D 

I agree with run hard and drive it like it's paid for - it is, and I do, still I believe it will last forever if I do my part and it will be my last truck ever....Odds are good I'll look back and laugh at that, but I don't want to. 

Good example - Wife bought a new Taurus (our one and only new Ford anything) but it was an awesome car, beautiful, comfy, loaded to the max. It was and is, the only Ford I ever truly loved a little since a Pinto I had back in the 80's - "tough little sht I beat the snot out of it) One day I took it to the store, it seemed a little "doughy" "doggy" ~ so I hit some desolate back roads and stomped on it, aired it out - when I mashed on the gas it looked like a diesel truck rolling coal - fricken cat's needed to get hot and blown out - good lord wish I had a video of that. Wife putts easy, drives like they tried to teach us in drivers ed - Good way to plug up an exhaust and blow a grand on repairs. 

Point being, there is merit to ride em like you stole it now and then, let em breath a little. Way I see it, if it can't take a little hard running now and then I don't want it cause it's a POS ~ Keep them cats cleaned out! or if ya got wheelbarrows of spare cash and no idea what to do with it, drive it like you wear rubber shoes and have a manbun. It's your money. 

Edited by Leonardo Willi
  • Like 1

Even with towing heavy I still get over 100k out of a set of HD brakes. Had the rotors not been all rusty on my 2005 I would have gotten well over 120k on the fronts.

9 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

Even with towing heavy I still get over 100k out of a set of HD brakes. Had the rotors not been all rusty on my 2005 I would have gotten well over 120k on the fronts.

That’s amazing. This is my first HD so I don’t know what to expect. I am very easy on the brakes but do a lot of in town driving so we’ll see 

10 hours ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Yep..I ordered my HC intentionally w/o the multi-pro gate.  A few reasons..I get a little ****** about cleaning and didn't care to add some more door jambs to clean and I wanted a power up and down gate that the multi-pro doesn't offer.  The whole dropping and hitting the hitch thing was just another reason for me to avoid it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CRApex said:

Yep..I ordered my HC intentionally w/o the multi-pro gate.  A few reasons..I get a little ****** about cleaning and didn't care to add some more door jambs to clean and I wanted a power up and down gate that the multi-pro doesn't offer.  The whole dropping and hitting the hitch thing was just another reason for me to avoid it.

I think it was a comment you made on some order discussions somewhere where you mentioned doing the tailgate delete on your order - cause I was going, "A High Country? No, they put all the sht on those" so I went back into the BYO and went "sht! Right there it is!" like 2 weeks after my order went in  - I honestly, was never interested in it, but thought that's what ya get so my bad. 

I have a small complaint about the new truck. Finally, I can honestly say, there is something that's a bit of a let down. Maybe it's my trim lvl? higher models have better? IDK, maybe someone can enlighten me there. These big mirrors, they seem to me to be big hollow plastic recycled milk jugs. I flipped them out to wide stance while towing a water tank, didn't really need to just wanted to try it. Not impressed - do they work? yep, Do they operate? yep Do they do the job? yep.....When flipped out, I did get some movement out of them on back country roads.  

So just to be sure I was still an objective (mostly) unbiased and not an unrealized fan boi without context, I think they're kind of crap. The best logic I can come up with is, they will rip off easily sacrificing themselves for the body/doors by intentional design of lightest, thinnest, cheapest piece of crap that will meet minimum parameters. 

For me, they just don't hold the same level of design and quality of the rest of the package - What say Ye? I need a "Cool Hand Luke" moment to get my mind right? 

• Haha 1