Instrument Panel Extension Trim Panel- part that it attaches to?

I like many have the cracked dash on my recently purchased ‘11 Silverado. While removing the Instrument Panel Extension Trim Panel to see why it didn’t seem to be sitting correctly, I noticed the frame? It attaches to with clips was also missing some of the slots for the clips to sit in. Does anyone know what this frame is, how easy/hard to replace, or other options to repair? 

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3784.jpeg

IMG_3785.jpeg

Edited by bamafan76
Added photos

1 hour ago, Jworks said:

you can get those from the dealer pretty easily.  However, one popped off mine also and I just placed velcro under there.  its not completely 100% perfect but it works.,

My apologies for not being precise as I’m not in need of the clips. When you remove the panel, you can see into the dash and where those clips would sit when the trim is reinstalled. Some of those locations are missing so the clips have no where to hold it to the dash. I’m looking to see if that’s a part that can also be replaced.

6 hours ago, dna9656 said:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/

You can find the Chevrolet name (proper nomenclature) at one of these sites I'm sure. Then you can start asking for the part you want by it's correct name; that's better than Thinga ma jiggy or like.

Thanks, but I used GMpartsdirect which is where my first picture came from and couldn’t find where it attached to so I came here to ask all of you more experienced folks. 

This area is seldomed accessed in my exp. I do beleive the heater core is accessed though dash removal; and that's (my guess) how your stuff got broken. I would call the GM website based parts sellers and ask them, your local dealer may be of some help. A builder's manual (manuals seldom seen outside the factory) prolly has the info you seek. That might be a tough find.

Three likely scenarios it cracked.  Top two are A) Many of that generation do it, B) the dealer cracked it during the airbag recall if it was performed recently (say within the last 2 years).  The least likely cause but still potential cause was dash removal for heater core or evaporator replacement.  

The top piece closest to the windshield GM sells, the one with the defroster grille in the center.  

As for that framing underneath?  All molded part of the whole main dash panel.  

sdefrghj.png

9 hours ago, dna9656 said:

This area is seldomed accessed in my exp. I do beleive the heater core is accessed though dash removal; and that's (my guess) how your stuff got broken. I would call the GM website based parts sellers and ask them, your local dealer may be of some help. A builder's manual (manuals seldom seen outside the factory) prolly has the info you seek. That might be a tough find.

Thanks dna9656 and newdude for your additional assistance. I’m thinking it happened more recent as the airbag recall was done and the evaporator sensor replaced both within the last two months. I ordered the smaller extension trim panel since mine is now pretty bad, and also ordered the two piece Dashskin since paying approximately $500 for a new dash seemed a bit much for a used, seldom driven truck.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:55 PM, bamafan76 said:

Thanks dna9656 and newdude for your additional assistance. I’m thinking it happened more recent as the airbag recall was done and the evaporator sensor replaced both within the last two months. I ordered the smaller extension trim panel since mine is now pretty bad, and also ordered the two piece Dashskin since paying approximately $500 for a new dash seemed a bit much for a used, seldom driven truck.

I wish new dash's were still $500, they are triple that now!

My instrument panel extension has been cracked by the sun in the Yukon.  The dash has no cracks even after all these years.  I keep it covered with a dash mat.  My pickups have cracked dashes in the usual places and their extensions are all fine.  The GM original is about $300, the Dorman last time I looked was about $75.

There is a metal crash bar (my term) that supports the dash.

9 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I wish new dash's were still $500, they are triple that now!

My instrument panel extension has been cracked by the sun in the Yukon.  The dash has no cracks even after all these years.  I keep it covered with a dash mat.  My pickups have cracked dashes in the usual places and their extensions are all fine.  The GM original is about $300, the Dorman last time I looked was about $75.

There is a metal crash bar (my term) that supports the dash.

The dash for my Silverado is listed at $450ish. I just bought and received the Dorman extension panel for $65ish from Amazon.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 11:41 AM, bamafan76 said:

The dash for my Silverado is listed at $450ish. I just bought and received the Dorman extension panel for $65ish from Amazon.

In stock at that price?  Mine is listed similarly at GMPartsGiant but not in stock.

Edited by swathdiver