In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I want a thread to just argue about a rock and whatever else is on your mind.

Jettech1

People that wish to argue solicited advice. 

Sometimes the reference is in the question. Example: "What is the best laundry detergent".  Now it would seem self-evident. Laundry is a cleaning method employing water and detergent is what makes things clean, so the question seems to be asking, "What cleans best"? Right? It can be studied or more likely has been and you just need to look for the answer.

Maybe. Might be asking something else entirely. Sometimes, I have to guess. Perhaps the person has a specific allergy to some agent in the cleaner or perhaps has a preference that depends on some social issue. Who knows. What I do know is there they asked me a question and didn't supply a reference. 

Anyway. This implies that THEY feel I have some level of expertise on the topic in question they do not possess. 

Reasonable is not the flavor of the day. You are asked a question. You give an answer. They argue the answer based on????? On WHAT??? An expertise your question admits you don't have? :wtf: Even if I were wrong, how would you know? 

image.jpeg.13c03883c6c3ce9fdaed45e17416d61b.jpeg

If your argument is based on information, you got somewhere else then ask THEM and lose my number. :crackup:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Haha 1

10 pages and 5 and half months later, who would've thunk that a post like this would have become so popular??  Not me of course but it's kind of cool to hear what's on other peoples minds.  It's like a sounding board in an echo chamber almost because most everyone can relate to how others think.  Now I have something to add to this very odd sounding board here.  It's called inflation and the blank checks being sent to the Ukraine.  Prior to Putin invading that county, all it was known for is being one of the most corrupt gas stations on earth.  Our corrupt politicians were using it to make money off from because the country was so corrupt, it was like anything goes....lets get some money that no one will ever be able to trace.....and here we are now.  Wow... Now move on to the Israelis and Hamas.  Why didn't that iron dome work for the Israeli's like it was supposed to, having been in place for decades now????  Oh and lets throw Iran into the equation as well, along with all of these haters towards the Israelis, I feel like I'm in a different world now.  One that is on the verge of total collapse...am I alone feeling this way?

Edited by Jettech1

32 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

10 pages and 5 and half months later, who would've thunk that a post like this would have become so popular??  Not me of course but it's kind of cool to hear what's on other peoples minds.  It's like a sounding board in an echo chamber almost because most everyone can relate to how others think.  Now I have something to add to this very odd sounding board here.  It's called inflation and the blank checks being sent to the Ukraine.  Prior to Putin invading that county, all it was known for is being one of the most corrupt gas stations on earth.  Our corrupt politicians were using it to make money off from because the country was so corrupt, it was like anything goes....lets get some money that no one will ever be able to trace.....and here we are now.  Wow... Now move on to the Israelis and Hamas.  Why didn't that iron dome work for the Israeli's like it was supposed to, having been in place for decades now????  Oh and lets throw Iran into the equation as well, along with all of these haters towards the Israelis, I feel like I'm in a different world now.  One that is on the verge of total collapse...am I alone feeling this way?

No. Do I believe we’ll come back from this, yes. Sometimes it has to get really bad before people wake up. We’re there. Groceries and gas prices win elections. You can add the border to the equation. After living through the Carter administration, I was just starting out. I insulated myself. I am surprise at the protests out there. At my age I thought I’ve seen it all. Just imagine being told after 911 to stand down. We’re in the razors edge. I believe eventually things will work out.

7 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

No. Do I believe we’ll come back from this, yes. Sometimes it has to get really bad before people wake up. We’re there. Groceries and gas prices win elections. You can add the border to the equation. After living through the Carter administration, I was just starting out. I insulated myself. I am surprise at the protests out there. At my age I thought I’ve seen it all. Just imagine being told after 911 to stand down. We’re in the razors edge. I believe eventually things will work out.

I love your views Stan!!  Damn glad to know you sir!

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:56 PM, Jettech1 said:

So here's something I truly hate.  Different gun laws between the states.  In my home state of GA I can carry concealed now without a license of which is a recent change, I do have a concealed weapons license but I'm totally legal here in GA and most of the states around me because they have reciprocity between the states.  Now, let's say I go to say PA or NY and many other states, I could become a felon.  I thought we were the United States of America.  But we are not when it comes to gun laws at all.  Totally drives me nuts.  Our last adventure to Maine I had hand guns and my beloved AK in the camper.  I'm not paranoid at all, I just love my guns and the security it gives me.  My only wish is I never have to use them for protection and hopefully never have to take another life.  But if it comes down to me or them, I'm a pretty damn good shooter.  But it drives me nuts that I could become a felon in another state without ever doing anything bad.  I'm the good guy.  I'm the one you want carrying concealed behind you in the store or wherever if bad ****** starts going down.  Blows my mind up these other state laws.

States rights? Right?  

• 2 months later...

Sad news yesterday. Our friend who has been fighting cancer had decided no more treatments. The last round of kemo was her last, just to hard to take. Diagnosed 5 years ago with breast cancer. 

• Sad 5

10 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Sad news yesterday. Our friend who has been fighting cancer had decided no more treatments. The last round of kemo was her last, just to hard to take. Diagnosed 5 years ago with breast cancer. 

So sorry sir.  That damn breast cancer.  Took my mother at the age of 55.  She too fought it for almost 5 years.  Very sad sir.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Romans 3:4 reminds me that we ALL lie. Biggest liar is the one who denies it. 

That out of the way, there are those that take advantage of this fact in ways that amaze and confound me. We usually have a reason for a lie so leading my list is: 

1.) Lies that need not be told. Dumb. 

2.) Obvious lies. Saying you didn't say something you are taped or in some other way recorded saying. AND KNOW IT.  

3.) Whose purpose is to defame, misdirect and impugn the character of another. 

Guy comes home early one day, and his supposed best friend has his wife pinned to the sheets in the throes of passion and they are recording it.   

His friend, responding to his shriek dismounts and while pulling up his pants and says. "I was getting a lash out of her eye". 

He continues to repeat this in hope that if done with enough fever and repetition he will be believed. Poly-Tic's........

Unable to believe the site he is seeing from those he trusted most, the husband apologizes that he was even thinking it so.

This is the evening news every night now. This is one messed up world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And another thing....

I stop at the Marathon a few days ago to pick up a half gallon of whole milk. $4.80! I look at the owner and say, "Your not that convenient." and leave. :wtf:

Next stop the Dollar General store. $3.90!! :shakehead:

Now it's a 10-mile trip to Walmart. Yep, $1.69 like it's been for a decade now. :) 

Question. What part of this is some political party or elected officials' fault? How, exactly are they the cause for a $3 spread over 10 miles in the cost of a half-gallon of milk? How is it their fault people BUY the highest price thing they can find and then whine their choice is someone else's fault. You have a point when you don't have a choice but....ya do. 

I spent part of my life living in dirt floor basements, abandon Model A garages and my car when I had one. Rode old Brit tossed in the dump motorcycles instead of cars to work. Took a few meals from the compactor at the Hy-Vee store where I caught shifts and drank Kool-Aid without sugar and white bread out of the nickel a loaf day-old cart. Walked to do nothing, pay nothing jobs, three of them at a time, and ya know who I never even considered as being at fault? Anyone but myself. Didn't blame a politician. Didn't blame my parents. Didn't blame 'the system'. Didn't blame the church or God or my lack of friends and don't care family. No Calvery coming to the rescue. Buckel up Buttercup. Bootstrap time. I didn't blame them then. I don't give them credit now. And I've rebuilt from ground zero multiple times. Finished alright. But if you think you one election away from Navara.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

And another thing....

I stop at the Marathon a few days ago to pick up a half gallon of whole milk. $4.80! I look at the owner and say, "Your not that convenient." and leave. :wtf:

Next stop the Dollar General store. $3.90!! :shakehead:

Now it's a 10-mile trip to Walmart. Yep, $1.69 like it's been for a decade now. :) 

Question. What part of this is some political party or elected officials' fault? How, exactly are they the cause for a $3 spread over 10 miles in the cost of a half-gallon of milk? How is it their fault people BUY the highest price thing they can find and then whine their choice is someone else's fault. You have a point when you don't have a choice but....ya do. 

I spent part of my life living in dirt floor basements, abandon Model A garages and my car when I had one. Rode old Brit tossed in the dump motorcycles instead of cars to work. Took a few meals from the compactor at the Hy-Vee store where I caught shifts and drank Kool-Aid without sugar and white bread out of the nickel a loaf day-old cart. Walked to do nothing, pay nothing jobs, three of them at a time, and ya know who I never even considered as being at fault? Anyone but myself. Didn't blame a politician. Didn't blame my parents. Didn't blame 'the system'. Didn't blame the church or God or my lack of friends and don't care family. No Calvery coming to the rescue. Buckel up Buttercup. Bootstrap time. I didn't blame them then. I don't give them credit now. And I've rebuilt from ground zero multiple times. Finished alright. But if you think you one election away from Navara.......

You say you don’t want to talk about politics, then you do. You’re implying that nothing has changed in the last 3 years. Inflation, gas prices, border problems etc. Different political parties don’t make a difference? Come on Grumpy! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KARNUT said:

You say you don’t want to talk about politics, then you do. You’re implying that nothing has changed in the last 3 years. Inflation, gas prices, border problems etc. Different political parties don’t make a difference? Come on Grumpy! 

Brother, and I mean this with sincerity, I've lived through 13 presidents, 7 Republican and 6 Democrats. Pretty even split.  I lived through Vietnam, several middle east conflicts, the gas crunch, the housing and dot com bubbles. Watched friends literally blow their brains out over it all.  Saw many a Berrie Madoffs surviving them all and made money in every environment most lost in. I've been a beggar and a prince. I have three ex-wives that hate me and six kids in various states of PTSD.  It never made a pennies worth of difference. Never added or subtracted a day from my life or it's quality. Never made me happy, sad, mad or glad. Decisions make a difference. Personal decisions. Spiritual decisions. Moral decisions.  But not political ones. The first three I control. That last one is flipping a coin. 3 years isn't a 'cycle', it's blip in a never-ending pot of turmoil that doesn't have a beginning nor an end. One takes over what the other started. This isn't a traffic light with sharp lines. World didn't turn upside down with a vote on a single day in November.  I suppose if we get three damp years it's the fault of whoever is ruling and if we get three rainy years, same thing. No one is happy when everyone is blaming instead of their JOB. Making the best of the worst of times. 

This crap going on is rinse and repeat of my entire life and the lives of my father, grandfather and great grandfather who grew up in Prussia/Denmark and East Germany. I'm not an idealist. I'm realest. Even if a president could make a difference, it's a flash in the pan. 

I make decisions IN the environment based on preparation because of its uncertainty, but I don't and can't create that environment. And I never blame it for my decisions nor give it control of them.

Half the people every cycle are not getting what they think government should supply and given the split seems we have and will always have what we have. Half of everyone screaming foul. 

I have a go bag for natural disasters. It's a plan that works no matter what happens in the weather arena. Same can be done for the political storms. Prepare or don't. But don't blame a thing that is much larger than the person or party for lack of a workable plan you can decide on in whatever is next. 

It will be what it will be until it isn't. Daniel 2:44. 

Greed created a $3 difference in milk price in 10 miles, not a president. 

I don't have a party. I have faith in God never lying. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Brother, and I mean that with sincerity, I've lived through 13 presidents, 7 Republican and 6 Democrats. Pretty even split.  I lived through Vietnam, several middle east conflicts, the gas crunch, the housing and dot com bubbles. Watched friends literally blow their brains out over it all.  Saw many a Berrie Madoffs surviving them all and made money in every environment most lost in. I've been a beggar and a prince. I have three ex-wives that hate me and six kids in various states of PTSD.  It never made a pennies worth of difference. Never added or subtracted a day from my life or it's quality. Never made me happy, sad, mad or glad. Decisions make a difference. Personal decisions. Spiritual decisions. Moral decisions.  But not political ones. The first three I control. That last one is flipping a coin. 3 years isn't a 'cycle', it's blip in a never-ending pot of turmoil that doesn't have a beginning nor an end. One takes over what the other started. This isn't a traffic light with sharp lines. World didn't turn upside down with a vote on a single day in November.  I suppose if we get three damp years it's the fault of whoever is ruling and if we get three rainy years, same thing. No one is happy when everyone is blaming instead of their JOB. Making the best of the worst of times. 

This crap going on is rinse and repeat of my entire life and the lives of my father, grandfather and great grandfather who grew up in Prussia/Denmark and East Germany. I'm not an idealist. I'm realest. Even if a president could make a difference, it's a flash in the pan. 

I make decisions IN the environment based on preparation because of its uncertainty, but I don't and can't create that environment. And I never blame it for my decisions nor give it control of them.

Half the people every cycle are not getting what they think government should supply and given the split seems we have and will always have what we have. Half of everyone screaming foul. 

I have a go bag for natural disasters. It's a plan that works no matter what happens in the weather arena. Same can be done for the political storms. Prepare or don't. But don't blame a thing that is much larger than the person or party for lack of a workable plan you can decide on in whatever is next. 

It will be what it will be until it isn't. Daniel 2:44. 

Greed created a $3 difference in milk price in 10 miles, not a president. 

I don't have a party. I have faith in God never lying. 

Walmart buys in bulk it’s a large store with buying power. Small convenience stores pay more for shipping and can’t buy in bulk. My grandfather had a small grocery store he paid more for product than the big box stores. It was a neighborhood store. People paid more for the convenience and conversation. Like a neighborhood bar. Same with ACE hardware verses Home Depot. Basic economics not greed. I learned a lesson in the Carter Administration so I wouldn’t be caught off  guard if it happened again, like now. If you think the last three years is a blip. The way things are getting unstable around us with the lack of leadership. I hope there’s enough time with a new administration to straighten it out. A blip, I hope we survive this blip.

As some of you know my sister inlaw passed right after Christmas unexpectedly.  Anyhow we drive up to Virginia Beach to help my brother inlaw.  Two days later I was taking the ladies around to thrift stores and those tourist stores to help keep their mind off things for a while, a distraction until the funeral that Sunday the 31st.  Anyhow we go into one of those tourist stores and I started looking at tags on the shirts and hats and everything else to see where it was made.  And here are the results.  About 95% of everything in that store was made in China, then I saw tags that said made in Pakistan....I was like WTH, then I saw tags made in N. Korea....no joke....Made in N. Korea!!!  That one sent me for a loop.  I had no idea we were shipping stuff into the US made in North Korea but there it was in black and white.  There wasn't one thing in that tourist shop that said made in America.  Not one!  What a shock that was to me.  But I guess most things we buy off Amazon are from China and most things from Walmart too.  But N. Korea????  Seriously???  So there were items in this shop from Pakistan and N. Korea.  The things that go on behind our backs is actually insane.  I'm sure some politician had their hand in it at some point to make that shipment happen.  I wish I had taken pictures of the tags.  I will next time I go there.

Edited by Jettech1

8 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

As some of you know my sister inlaw passed right after Christmas unexpectedly.  Anyhow we drive up to Virginia Beach to help my brother inlaw.  Two days later I was taking the ladies around to thrift stores and those tourist stores to help keep their mind off things for a while, a distraction until the funeral that Sunday the 31st.  Anyhow we go into one of those tourist stores and I started looking at tags on the shirts and hats and everything else to see where it was made.  And here are the results.  About 95% of everything in that store was made in China, then I saw tags that said made in Pakistan....I was like WTH, then I saw tags made in N. Korea....no joke....Made in N. Korea!!!  That one sent me for a loop.  I had no idea we were shipping stuff into the US made in North Korea but there it was in black and white.  There wasn't one thing in that tourist shop that said made in America.  Not one!  What a shock that was to me.  But I guess most things we buy off Amazon are from China and most things from Walmart too.  But N. Korea????  Seriously???  So there were items in this shop from Pakistan and N. Korea.  The things that go on behind our backs is actually insane.  I'm sure some politician had their hand in it at some point to make that shipment happen.  I wish I had taken pictures of the tags.  I will next time I go there.

We once had a president who imposed tariffs to level the playing field. We want to pay our workers decent wages put buy cheap foreign made stuff. Factories started opening back up, businesses grew here and we were buying more American made again. The next administration lowered the tariffs. Can’t have anything to do with that family getting money from China. Can’t be, silly me. Someone once said things can’t change that much in a couple years, really. It just read California is considering passing a law rid of old cars, even classics. I once said we’re going to fast pushing electric vehicles, we’re not ready. Well now the smart people are finally realizing this. We need to get our common sense back.

• Like 1