2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Axle Shaft Replacement

Hello All,

I had a worn axle shaft causing all kinds of bed noise in my truck.  I finally have the axle in and no play at all. Before I buckle it all up I was told by someone that I needed to gauge the measurement from the end of the spline to the Pinion Shaft.  Is there a measurement I need to check before buckling that all back up?  I would hate to get it hot and something else happens.  The C Clip kit came with two difference size thickness. I have a .150 and a .155.  I just didnt know if there is supposed to be play in the axle in/out of the axle housing.

Thank you

There will always be a little play in and out, I just don't know the spec. If it was me I'd be putting the old c-clip back in and call it good lol. I've never once measured that before.

Agreed with the other guys, I haven't replaced an axle but I have worked with them and have never heard a spec on axle end play, guessing that's why they are splined. Be sure to but in new seals/bearings on the outers and don't forget to add the gear lube!