High Mileage Club

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
2004 Z71 5.3, just went over 220,000 miles on Oh almost forgot, had a plug wire go bad at 126K. Still on original brakes too.

Amazing isn't it?? I have a 2003 Silverado 1500 and there must be something about the brakes on the 03/04 trucks, my truck is at 144K and still have ORIGINAL brakes ALL around and they still have over 50% life left!!

I am beginning to think these are some of the best vehicles ever built. Here is my story:

2003 Silverado 1500 SWB reg cab 4x4 with a 4.8L and NV3500 5 Speed custom factory order with every single option I could get on it!!

I have ofcourse babied the thing but it has been a work truck for me, but I am VERY anal about the maintenance and care of it.

I have just over a 144,500 on it as of today! It has had Mobil 1 bumper to bumper since 1000 miles with frequent changes. It gets (less frequent now) regular Zaino details and perodic goings over on a lift in my shop!

At 17,000 miles I put on a set of OEM GM 17inch wheels and some BFG A/T's! I just took the BFG's off at 137,000 miles!!

I GOT 120K on a set of tires!!! And then I sold them on Craigslist for $40!!!

I am on original brake pads all around and still more than 50%

I have replaced one fuel pump about 10K miles ago as it was getting noisy!

I just did a front left axle seal as it had started to drip.

I replaced the water pump seals at about 121K (used the fel pros people here reccomended and they work great!!)

I have replaced both factory Delco batteries (dual battery option) each one lasted over 100K !!

I replaced my factory serpentine belt at 120K just for the heck of it, it was still in great shape!!

I do very regular fluid changes on the front and rear diff's, manual trans and transfer case, I run Mobil 1 in everything and I usually run the engine oil up to about 7500 miles between changes.

I have done big time highway miles including three cross country trips from California to the east coast, a couple of times pulling trailers. I have had more motorcycles in the bed than I can count, it has also been my daily driver. I four wheel the thing once a year in the Sierra Nevada and drive it damn near every day.

This thing still gets 19-23mpg on the highway and has averaged 17.5 over its entire life ( I have never reset the DIC )

It still starts, runs, sounds, and drives/feels like a nearly new truck.

The engine does not burn a drop of oil and not one leak from anywhere....I just can not believe how good this thing has been. I honestly think I will get 400K or more out of this engine! The clutch is original and I think it has at least another 50K left in it.

These trucks are amazing, if you take care of them they basically just need basic maintenance and gas...thats it!!

I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!

Hey All,

I was drivin' a long yesterday and noticed my odometer roll over 165k miles. Current mileage is 166678. I got a 94' Silverado, so that puts me at 16667.8 miles a year. Yearly mileage sounds pretty average, but 166 is a lot. What kinda longevity should I expect with a very well taken care of TBI 4.3L? Quarter million?

166.6 k divided by 16 years is more like 10,000 per year...

• 1 month later...

Today the DIC said check engine oil level. Engine oil life is at 7%. So I thought I would check back in to this thread and see how every one is doing. Exactly 9 months later from my last post and I'm at 262,468. So I'm starting to burn a little oil between changes. I don't track the miles anymore just use the DIC, but I know its way more than 3,500 miles between changes. Oh I did have to replace the brake pads at 244,000. I have a code that keeps coming and going. Something about a bad converter or a vacum leak. Haven't looked into it yet.

There was a Chevy comercial that I only caught once or twice, but it had some truck owners and there high mileage trucks. None had over 200K on them. Maybe some one should forward this thread to GM?

My '03 Silverado has a little over 175,000 miles on both the engine (5.3) and tranny, and my son's '99 GMC 5.3 has over 236,000 on the engine and 109,000 on a tranny rebuild.

Pretty good compared to my '79 Chevy 350 that crapped out at 124,000 miles. Of course that pickup only had the 3 speed automatic transmission.

2003 halfton silverado-220,000 miles. Original tranny and engine, not using one ounce of oil and tranny never skips a beat. You are all probobly wondering how in the heck a truck that new can have so many miles. I bought it from my Grandpa, who bought it new in 2003. He is a Crop Adjuster and has to do a lot of driving to different farms to address claims. Truck has been garage kept, serviced every 3000 miles and driven like a grandpa(literally). I bought it from him when I was a senior in highschool and it had 170,000 on it. I use it to pull around my racecar twice a week all summer long and the tranny is still not skipping one bit. Goes to show a little regular maintenance can go a long way! I plan to keep the truck until I graduate college, a year from this May. Once I land a job I plan to look into a new truck.

07 Sierra CCSB 4x4. 54k bought in August of 2007. I drive about 30-35k a year.

Turned Front Rotors at 35k.

Just had the trans, diffs, and t-case serviced at 50k.

Other than tires, oil and gas there have been no other costs.

Love this beast

Old topic wow. Truck has 69,500 now. Still nothing other than oil every 5k and gas. Hoping to get 300k out of her

78k still good

Hey All,

I was drivin' a long yesterday and noticed my odometer roll over 165k miles. Current mileage is 166678. I got a 94' Silverado, so that puts me at 16667.8 miles a year. Yearly mileage sounds pretty average, but 166 is a lot. What kinda longevity should I expect with a very well taken care of TBI 4.3L? Quarter million?

166.6 k divided by 16 years is more like 10,000 per year...

Looks to me like his original post was posted in 2004 so that would be 166.6K divided by 10 years so his calculations were correct at that time...

Archived