03 Sierra Steering Issue

Hello everyone, hoping to source some knowledge. 

I bought a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 HD 4WD with the 6.0. When I bought it I noticed the steering was very sloppy and the previous owner seemed to be hunting down the problem with new parts. Here are all the parts that were changed before and after I bought it:

Pitman arm, idler arm, upper control arms, upper ball joins, lower ball joints, redhead steering gear, steering shaft bearing and alignment.

The problem I have is that the steering never truly returns to center. You have to manually bring it back and if you are off just a bit it keeps steering in that direction. The only thing left to replace would be the power steering pump and tie rods I believe.

Now I’ve only had 06 and later so I don’t know if this just the nature of the steering on this truck or if there is something I can do to solve this. Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by Dlsaugstad

The old steering gear did the same thing but it had tons of slop, tightening or loosening didn’t help. I installed a new redhead steering gear and it’s a little better. I didn’t even think of loosening the jam nut honestly. Thanks for the idea.

Edited by Dlsaugstad

It has been aligned three times. Once when I got it, then after I put the leveling keys in and then finally after the new steering gear. One of the alignment guys did say something about my alignment pins being not so great. But I don’t know exactly what he was talking about.