In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

How long our 2.7T engines need to be warmed up?

This is my first turbo engine. Some say modern engines don’t need a warm up more than a minute (I am not sure it is only for naturally aspirated engines or also for turbo engines), but the other say proper warm up especially in cold weather is crucial for turbocharged engines. If correct, how long should I wait for it after remote start? Should I wait until coolant temperature reaches operating temperature? It took more than 10 minutes this morning in cold around 23F (I live in Boston). I have noticed some turbo engines have had oil dilution issue usually occurring under the condition of improper warm-up in cold weather followed by short distance driving. Are our turbo also at risk, if we don't warm up ours? Thank you.

• Like 1

Honestly you can just let it run for less than a minute and be on your way. You'd just be wasting fuel letting it run for 10min everytime you went for a drive. The oil and coolant warm up way faster if you just drive it.

If it was -15 degrees outside or something like that, letting it run for a little longer is different. It's not that cold in Boston right now and pretty rare that it gets that cold there.

• Like 2

I'm always mindful of oil temperature and monitor it. Viscosity it tied to temperature. I don't own a 2.7 but it wouldn't change my pattern. Stable oil pressure only takes a few seconds if you use a decent multigrade oil. Drive off easy. Cameron is right. It will heat quicker running down the road at a moderate pace than idling for 20 minutes in the drive. 

But it will take longer than you might think to reach full operational oil temperature in colder weather. Find a way to monitor it and let it school you. 😉 

• Like 1

As a rule even in my most aggressive driving days I let them warm up. I always got in with very little warm up and drove, but gently. Around 97 with my Ford diesel I noticed you didn’t get full power it seemed until it was warm. It was pretty extreme you weren’t going to get much acceleration. That vehicle made me even more mindful of the temperature gauge from then on. I did have one vehicle with remote start. I always used it. Especially in extreme situations, usually when it was hot. 

Edited by KARNUT

11 hours ago, Interleukin6 said:

This is my first turbo engine. Some say modern engines don’t need a warm up more than a minute (I am not sure it is only for naturally aspirated engines or also for turbo engines), but the other say proper warm up especially in cold weather is crucial for turbocharged engines. If correct, how long should I wait for it after remote start? Should I wait until coolant temperature reaches operating temperature? It took more than 10 minutes this morning in cold around 23F (I live in Boston). I have noticed some turbo engines have had oil dilution issue usually occurring under the condition of improper warm-up in cold weather followed by short distance driving. Are our turbo also at risk, if we don't warm up ours? Thank you.

Good recommendations in general provided so far Interleukin6. 

I have ~46000 miles on my 2022 LTD Custom Trail Boss and drive and operate in a colder very remote  mountain area. 

The Custom analog instruments set up is old school on presentation so thats what I am sharing below. 

I drive away on initial fire up after the start fast idle returns below 1000 rpm and the analog guages do their full move to the right and return to full left then return to indicate conditions.  This cycle also includes a turbo PRV ( pressure relief valve ) test that takes a bit longer. In very cold temps it will fart if you move and throttle it will burble until its done testing its ability to seal.  

This design has a three valve ECM controlled ELECTRIC coolant system so it will cool and warm based on what YOU command but provide idealized cooling and warming as programmed. If you turn our analog heater control to full hot it will bias to heat the cockpit. FAST.  The oil pump adjusts automatically to provide ideal FLOW VOLUME to the engine at all times regardless of oil viscosity or temp.  

If you are running a 5w30 high quality engine oil and its above -27F absolute ambient temp it can be driven away in less than a minute with all the elements listed above. I drove it at that temp when new and it did fine with AcDelco ( mobil full syn version) 5w30 with no issues but you'll see the oil pressure drive up to 60 -70  psi and watch the getrag like oil pump drop that down to < 30 in seconds. That pump makes noise at higher pressures that one can hear as it adjusts that it sounds like a fan belt bearing or tensioner making a slight warbeling noise.

I am currently testing a HD diesel/CNG engine oil in mine that is 10w30 and its a syn blend with essentially no ZDDP additives and it is working fine but cold start flow is noticiably different than the Dexos 5w30 but works great with great ring seal and MPG.  

Hope that helps just my observations. 

Edited by customboss
  • Thanks 1

If it's 20 or above I start and wait a minute before driving. I agree it will warm up faster driving it. Below 20 I wait until the fast idle drops.

I will add this, when we were working. For many years the wife would start and go, never had an issue. I was doing 3k OCI's then.

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, customboss said:

I am currently testing a HD diesel/CNG engine oil in mine that is 10w30 and its a syn blend with essentially no ZDDP additives and it is working fine but cold start flow is noticiably different than the Dexos 5w30 but works great with great ring seal and MPG.  

Hope that helps just my observations. 

Is this the oil you are talking about? 

HDMO-80.pdf (chevron.com)  image.thumb.png.a6b4406373496d19811fac324f276430.png

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I'm always mindful of oil temperature and monitor it. Viscosity it tied to temperature. I don't own a 2.7 but it wouldn't change my pattern. Stable oil pressure only takes a few seconds if you use a decent multigrade oil. Drive off easy. Cameron is right. It will heat quicker running down the road at a moderate pace than idling for 20 minutes in the drive. 

But it will take longer than you might think to reach full operational oil temperature in colder weather. Find a way to monitor it and let it school you. 😉 

Yes, yes. Wait for high idle to fall. Forget to mention it as it is unconscious automatic for me regardless of the season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Is this the oil you are talking about? 

HDMO-80.pdf (chevron.com)  image.thumb.png.a6b4406373496d19811fac324f276430.png

Yes Sir.  I posted about it in another thread a bit more in depth. I can't remember where here. I AM NOT RECOMMENDING USING THIS OIL IN OUR L3B ENGINES. I am testing proof of concept.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I would assume the last two respondents have heated garages, no?

Heated if I turn it on to do repairs or maintenance but just insulated and it reaches freezing at times.  The -27F operation was 42 miles away and sat outside at dealer for hours before restart at that temp. 

• Like 1

How long also depends on what the start of the drive looks like. 

Working fast and hard -- like immediately jumping in the interstate or pulling a large trailer -- requires longer warm-up than meandering thru a residential area to get to main city streets. 

• Like 2