Metal Grinding Noise

I’ve recently been experiencing what I’d call metal grinding noise on my 2020 Silverado TB. It only occurs when I’m going about 10mph and can either be coasting or stepping on the break and going straight and/turning. The noise is appears to be coming from the front. 

I’ve uploaded a video here to YouTube and included in the post.  it’s more an audio file but than video  the first noise occurs when I’m coasting at 10 mph and the second noise at about 2 seconds in is when I’m turning the wheel  

I just turned over 45k this past weekend. Has anyone had this same issue or know what is causing it? Or if it may be something covered under warranty?

thanks!

sounds like the dust sheild around the rotor is bent. take wheel off and spin the rotor and if you hear scraping then make sure the dust sheild isnt in contact with it, bend it back away from rotor if it is.

Update: I checked all of my heat shields and none were loose. That said, I took my truck in to my buddy’s shop to get it checked out. They couldn’t find anything with any of the heat shields and the brakes checked out fine. What they believe it is, is uneven wear on the tires despite routine tire rotation at every oil chance (7500). 

So my plan is to tackle new tires in the fall to get me past the 50k mileage mark. Only reason I’m not changing them yet is due to me trying to hold off on stretching a dollar until the fall. 

thanks for all the input. I’ll update once i get thee new tires. 

On 3/8/2024 at 2:33 PM, Mysz said:

Update: I checked all of my heat shields and none were loose. That said, I took my truck in to my buddy’s shop to get it checked out. They couldn’t find anything with any of the heat shields and the brakes checked out fine. What they believe it is, is uneven wear on the tires despite routine tire rotation at every oil chance (7500). 

So my plan is to tackle new tires in the fall to get me past the 50k mileage mark. Only reason I’m not changing them yet is due to me trying to hold off on stretching a dollar until the fall. 

thanks for all the input. I’ll update once i get thee new tires. 

The heat shields/dust sheilds could be bent inward and rubbing on your brake rotors.   This may not be the case but its worth checking, When I installed my leveling kit on my 2020 Silverado I set the rotors on the ground when I had everything broke loose to get the struts out to install the kit, then when i put everything back together I heard a grinding noise when i was driving at low speeds and I thought for sure I had torn my truck up but I checked the sheilds and they had bent in where I sat the rotor on the ground and I believe i bent them back outward by hand but I may have used a screwdriver, they are just thin metal sheilds and anything could bend them pretty easy.  I took the wheel off and just ran my hand around the rotor to find where it was contacting the rotor and causing the noise.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:30 PM, JimCost2014 said:

How are your brakes? You are kind of in the window to replace mileage wise.

45k is waaaaay early on these brakes.  I have 125K on my truck and still have 40% front, 60% rear.

4 hours ago, Gangly said:

45k is waaaaay early on these brakes.  I have 125K on my truck and still have 40% front, 60% rear.

True, unless you live in the salt belt area.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

update here. i checked out the heat/dust shields on the brakes and sure enough that was it. i adjusted the shields and the noise went away on both sides.

thanks for the help!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mysz said:

update here. i checked out the heat/dust shields on the brakes and sure enough that was it. i adjusted the shields and the noise went away on both sides.

thanks for the help!

good deal, nice feeling when you find out something you feel like is very bad turns out to be an easy fix lol

On 3/11/2024 at 10:08 AM, Gangly said:

Mine were absolutely shot at just under 60k.  The sensors are NOT accurate.  Mine said there was %70 in front and %85 in rear.  Both front and rear pads with the sensors had worn half way through the sensors.  All 4 corners needed pads and rotors.

Thanks for the heads up, but I checked when I recently put new wheels and tires on approximately 4k miles ago, and the pads had plenty of life left front and rear.  I do A LOT of long distance highway miles though, so that might be why mine last considerably longer than most.