Safe to drive for extended periods with multi-pro down to extend cargo length?

I have a 24 SLT CC with a short box and the multi-pro tailgate. I purchased an adapter to force the flip up portion of the tailgate to lock into place  ( https://tailgatefix.com/product/load-stop-lock/ ), which effectively gives me about 14 additional inches if I can trust it. I am planning on driving 300 miles with furniture that can only be accommodated with that locking clip and the tailgate down, so I'm just seeking feedback from people who've done something similar. 

38 minutes ago, DubVBenz said:

I have a 24 SLT CC with a short box and the multi-pro tailgate. I purchased an adapter to force the flip up portion of the tailgate to lock into place  ( https://tailgatefix.com/product/load-stop-lock/ ), which effectively gives me about 14 additional inches if I can trust it. I am planning on driving 300 miles with furniture that can only be accommodated with that locking clip and the tailgate down, so I'm just seeking feedback from people who've done something similar. 

I'd say as long as the furniture is strapped to the bed tie downs, I don't see any issue.

If you are trying to rely on the step to support weight, the step has a weight limit of 375lbs.  

At the end of the day, not sure why you need to flip it up at all in the first place.  Leave it closed and just strap everything properly to the bed tie downs.  

• Thanks 2

Thanks for that information. Fortunately the furniture is lightweight (grandfather clock), so there won't be much weight on the actual tailgate. I was mostly wondering if the tailgate is intended to be driven at interstate speeds in the down position for a few hours.

37 minutes ago, DubVBenz said:

Thanks for that information. Fortunately the furniture is lightweight (grandfather clock), so there won't be much weight on the actual tailgate. I was mostly wondering if the tailgate is intended to be driven at interstate speeds in the down position for a few hours.

People drive with tailgates down all the time.  

GM touts it as a load stop, but they forgot to include the piece to lock it UP so it actually STAYS IN PLACE as a load stop. I hauled something in my bed that was a bit shorter than the full length and the pieces shifted and the step folded  and let stuff slide around more. I bought the same stop lock you did just for this purpose. I used it for about 60 miles or so when I hauled a ladder that was longer than would fit in the bed with the tailgate closed.

• Thanks 1