2024 Chevrolet 1500 3.0 Liter Diesel

Not sure if any of you are also looking  at the 2500 HD Forum but if you do you will see I have asked  questions on there, as I'm  are looking into buying one of those trucks .

Now one of my friends has suggested I take a look at the 2024 Silverado 1500 3.0 Liter Diesel Truck . I have questions 

#1 Can you get the 3.0 Duramax in the 1500 and have a 6.5 foot truck bed ?

#2 Can you also have the Max Tow package with the above .

# 3 Can  you get all of the above in a Custom Trail Boss ?

If not what would be the model and trim level to get a truck like this ? I like the Custom Trim Level I think if its like the 2500 HD it has analog gauges ?

Thank You 

?

Thank You 

16 hours ago, BCGM said:

Not sure if any of you are also looking  at the 2500 HD Forum but if you do you will see I have asked  questions on there, as I'm  are looking into buying one of those trucks .

Now one of my friends has suggested I take a look at the 2024 Silverado 1500 3.0 Liter Diesel Truck . I have questions 

#1 Can you get the 3.0 Duramax in the 1500 and have a 6.5 foot truck bed ?

#2 Can you also have the Max Tow package with the above .

# 3 Can  you get all of the above in a Custom Trail Boss ?

If not what would be the model and trim level to get a truck like this ? I like the Custom Trim Level I think if its like the 2500 HD it has analog gauges ?

One and Two are a thing, yes.  However, good luck finding a 3.0 with max trailer.  It is currently unavailable to order for 2024 model year.  

One and Two can't be had with Three.  None of the factory lifted trucks can be had with NHT Max Trailer because NHT has its own spring rates and shocks.  

Edited by newdude

I ordered a Custom Trail Boss 6.5’ bed and 3.0L diesel and love it. I agree and appreciate the simplicity of the older dash and analog gauges. No, as mentioned above, can’t get it with the Max Tow, but it can tow more than enough for me in its current configuration. I think Ben Hardy on YouTube recently did a video of the same truck a couple weeks ago, so it might still be available (in Utah I think). 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, QuailChaser said:

I ordered a Custom Trail Boss 6.5’ bed and 3.0L diesel and love it. I agree and appreciate the simplicity of the older dash and analog gauges. No, as mentioned above, can’t get it with the Max Tow, but it can tow more than enough for me in its current configuration. I think Ben Hardy on YouTube recently did a video of the same truck a couple weeks ago, so it might still be available (in Utah I think). 

Quail Chaser what are your trucks spec ratings if you don't mind ? As in trailering, payload etc.

Thank You 

Edited by BCGM

19 hours ago, BCGM said:

Quail Chaser what are your trucks spec ratings if you don't mind ? As in trailering, payload etc.

Thank You 

image.thumb.jpeg.d0f37ae25f1dc857ddc54d29fe9900d0.jpeg

Notable Options:

20” wheels with AT (not MT) tires

Multi-Flex tailgate (I imagine more weight than a normal tailgate)

I hope this helps you in your search. 

On 4/1/2024 at 6:30 PM, Phantom 4D said:

Look into the Sierra SLT. I have the 2023 Sierra 3.0 with Max Tow. 

It's why I own a SLT and not a Denali. I have Max Tow CC 3.0, but with the short bed. When I was looking there was a 6'5" version for sale with the same options, minus a sunroof. I wanted the sunroof so ended up with the short bed, which worked out because it barely fits in my main garage. 

What you CAN'T get at all as a GMC 1500 is Max Tow + X31 (so no AT4 or Denali trims). You can get a Chevy 1500 with Max Tow and the X71, but I didn't like the way it looked compared to the GMC.

13 minutes ago, DubVBenz said:

It's why I own a SLT and not a Denali. I have Max Tow CC 3.0, but with the short bed. When I was looking there was a 6'5" version for sale with the same options, minus a sunroof. I wanted the sunroof so ended up with the short bed, which worked out because it barely fits in my main garage. 

What you CAN'T get at all as a GMC 1500 is Max Tow + X31 (so no AT4 or Denali trims). You can get a Chevy 1500 with Max Tow and the X71, but I didn't like the way it looked compared to the GMC.

X31 and Z71, either one cannot be combined with NHT Max Trailer.  NHT max trailer are regular 4x4 only with single speed transfer case unless you go to a High Country or Denali.  

Edited by newdude

On 4/3/2024 at 5:08 AM, QuailChaser said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d0f37ae25f1dc857ddc54d29fe9900d0.jpeg

Notable Options:

20” wheels with AT (not MT) tires

Multi-Flex tailgate (I imagine more weight than a normal tailgate)

I hope this helps you in your search. 

QuailChaser Thanks very much for posting that spec sheet  if I read it right Max Trailer Tow Weight 9000 LBS .

Some forums I have been on say you should lessen that weight by 30% for a safety factor ?

I’m not an engineer, but if it were me:

9k once or twice a year for an hour or two or less, sure, I’d do it. 
9k all the time, I’d go up to at least a 2500. 
The GCWR is only 15k, so as I understand it, if you had a 9k trailer, subtract that weight, plus the curb weight, only leaves 405#. Not sure how much you weigh, but doesn’t leave very much room to haul anything else. Might have to leave the wife at home and only bring the dog. Maybe that’s a good thing?

Edited by QuailChaser

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, QuailChaser said:

I’m not an engineer, but if it were me:

9k once or twice a year for an hour or two or less, sure, I’d do it. 
9k all the time, I’d go up to at least a 2500. 
The GCWR is only 15k, so as I understand it, if you had a 9k trailer, subtract that weight, plus the curb weight, only leaves 405#. Not sure how much you weigh, but doesn’t leave very much room to haul anything else. Might have to leave the wife at home and only bring the dog. Maybe that’s a good thing?

I think your math is right ! Yes GCVW per your decal 15000 Lbs .   If the truck weighs 5595 Lbs  The trailer weighs 9000 Lbs 

That right there is 14595 Lbs  GCVW        405 Lbs left over to play with .    We still need to figure in all of the items going into the truck and all items going into the truck . Boom your over the trucks GCVW . If my math is right and math was my worst subject !

How much weight are you planning to tow with your truck or did I miss that ?

Edited by BCGM

Interesting my 21 Custom Trail Boss with the 6.2 short bed has a 9300lb trailer weight rating. I thought the diesel was rated higher than 9K trailer weight.

Edited by GETGONE

7 hours ago, newdude said:

X31 and Z71, either one cannot be combined with NHT Max Trailer.  NHT max trailer are regular 4x4 only with single speed transfer case unless you go to a High Country or Denali.  

The only two speed transfer case solution with max trailering is Z71 on the High Country. So you almost confirmed my point, but are wrong about the Denali option, at least on the refreshes. 

6 hours ago, BCGM said:

I think your math is right ! Yes GCVW per your decal 15000 Lbs .   If the truck weighs 5595 Lbs  The trailer weighs 9000 Lbs 

That right there is 14595 Lbs  GCVW        405 Lbs left over to play with .    We still need to figure in all of the items going into the truck and all items going into the truck . Boom your over the trucks GCVW . If my math is right and math was my worst subject !

How much weight are you planning to tow with your truck or did I miss that ?

Nothing actually, maybe a small boat or utility trailer here or there. Got the truck to outfit with a Super Pacific X1 tent topper to be a nimble upland hunting rig / overland truck. I've got 3 bird dogs and during bird season, travel between upstate and downstate multiple times a week, so need something that can eat highway miles with good MPGs, can handle rutted out muddy roads, deploy camp in the dark in 5 minutes or less and be a street/daily driver the other 90% of the time. I also need the ability to stealth camp in the bed with the tent not deployed, and since I am 6'2", needed the standard bed to be able to do that. I tried to do it once diagonally in the 5'6" bed of my previous truck (Tacoma), and didn't sleep well at all so wasn't going to try it with the short bed this time around.

3 hours ago, GETGONE said:

Interesting my 21 Custom Trail Boss with the 6.2 short bed has a 9300lb trailer weight rating. I thought the diesel was rated higher than 9K trailer weight.

Not surprising. Without looking, I'd guess that most, maybe all, of the 1500s have a 15K GCWR, so the towing capacity is less about the ability of the powertrain, and more likely a limitation of the chassis design (frame, brakes, suspension, etc.). Your short bed and gas engine weigh less, so that's likely the 300# difference, since your truck is probably ~5300#, or 300# less than my truck. The same thing applies for payload. If I recall, the highest payload was the single cab, standard bed, 4 cylinder WT trim: smallest, lightest truck with least amount of options, left the most available payload since it wasn't utilized by heavier engines, cab, bed length or options. I almost got one of those, but the wife really wanted the crew cab and honestly, I really wanted the diesel. I think it had a payload near 2K#.

Edited by QuailChaser
typo