GM BEGINS PREPPING FOR NEXT GENERATION CHEVROLET SILVERADO AND GMC SIERRA

General Motors is actively preparing for the launch of the next-generation Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, with substantial developments underway at their Fort Wayne, Indiana, production facility. This strategic preparation involves significant downtime and investment to ensure these popular trucks meet future demands with innovative features and technologies.

2026_Silverado_Concept_2_WM-2048x2048[1].jpg

https://www.gm-trucks.com/next-generation-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra/

This is one reason for downtime, produce the vehicles for the test fleet..

First of all as part of the development program we typically have small numbers of vehicles that we put out in the hands of people that drive them on a daily basis. That’s a part of our development program that occurs prior to production. We call that a “captured test fleet”. Captured meaning we know where the vehicles are and we know who the drivers are, and test fleet because the vehicle aren’t in production yet. We use the versions that we build at the tail end of the development cycle to really put them out there on a daily basis to get better understanding of what’s going on with the vehicles.

GM VP of global program management

I sure hope there is a place for a regular cab short bed in their plans.

I love my '22 and '16.  I hope they continue to make them available in the states.

Here in the last year or so I have seen more and more people talking about them and buying them again....good sign!

Edited by Cowboyman

They build what sells. 

If there was sufficient demand for a single cab GM would be building them. Its similar to a small group complaining about wanting low content trucks. They vote for a Government thats more intrusive and then complain when mandates load up new vehicles. The fact is that someone buying a tin can truck isnt likely the same as the person that leases or buys a new one every 2-3 yrs. The tin can truck is a lifer. As a business who would you cater to, the every 2-3 yr customer or the person that buys one new truck in a lifetime ? 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 12:04 PM, 64BAwagon said:

They build what sells. 

If there was sufficient demand for a single cab GM would be building them. Its similar to a small group complaining about wanting low content trucks. They vote for a Government thats more intrusive and then complain when mandates load up new vehicles. The fact is that someone buying a tin can truck isnt likely the same as the person that leases or buys a new one every 2-3 yrs. The tin can truck is a lifer. As a business who would you cater to, the every 2-3 yr customer or the person that buys one new truck in a lifetime ? 

"They build what sells."

OR

They build what dealers order and maximizes profits.....and people buy what are on the lots.

I have run into a "lot" of people that had no idea you could still buy a regular cab because there are none on the lots for people to see that aren't long bed work trucks.

But anyway.....not to get off topic.

I just hope they still make them in the new model.

• Like 1

I am sure it varies regionally but around here the people I know at a couple of dealers say that they dont order them because they languish on the lot.  I am sure money plays a role also and they no doubt make more on a highly optioned unit but the lot is stocked by what the dealer thinks they can turn over. 

The people who want boutique things like single cab short bed HD with roll up windows and tiny mirrors likely don't end up buying it new anyway. Same for the "they should put an LT4 in a Blazer"!, then if GM ever spent the millions to do it, they wouldn't buy it. Dealers work in volume and stats. Most of the admin there don't even care about cars and are not car guys and don't even follow the industry. People that frequent this site and GM Authority are often FAR more informed than the typical sales manager. People assume since they work there they will have all the inside info and special access to GMs upcoming....etc. They don't care. It's all just metal to move to them. They know what sells based on history. Loaded up expensive trucks sell. Mid trim trucks (LTs) mid trim CUVs....etc sell. En masse. Boutique stripper trucks and expensive toys like Camaro V8s don't move the needle for them.

Edited by Epsilon Plus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From what I am hearing many of the changes on the 2025 HD trucks center around electronics. Of course this will all change when the 2027 HD  rolls out