Oklahoma Meet

SnakeEyeSS

when I drove to work last night around 10:45 my mirror told me that it was 69° outside.

And my truck doesn't need to be washed. It only has 230miles on it. :P:mad::thumbs:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is filthy right now.

My mom came over this morning, and evidently somebody took it upon themselves to write in the grime on my tailgate...It says "I'm a dirty ho!" back there now.

I've got 3 phone numbers this weekend alone because of that. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi gang! New to the forums so yeah! Some basics:

Tulsa

Married

Baby on the way :lol:

Just recently purchased:

Red '97 Z71 extcab

All stock so far

210k miles

Would rock to meet some chevy fans. Let me know when, where, and what type of beer to bring. :D

So yeah, i bought it as a project truck, the sad part is i do't know where to begin on fixing this thing up. Any guru's in the Tulsa area that care to help out a newbie?

So yeah, i bought it as a project truck, the sad part is i do't know where to begin on fixing this thing up.  Any guru's in the Tulsa area that care to help out a newbie?

Man, that truck has so many things available for it...It WOULD be hard to figure out where to start. :D

Welcome to the boards. :lol:

So yeah, i bought it as a project truck, the sad part is i do't know where to begin on fixing this thing up.  Any guru's in the Tulsa area that care to help out a newbie?

Man, that truck has so many things available for it...It WOULD be hard to figure out where to start. :crackup:

Welcome to the boards. :cool:

Very true. When you say project truck what do you mean? Lifted 8 inches? 1/4 mile in the 13's. Both?

LOL if you plan on doing both and you have the money to do it, then I'm your new best friend.

No, but really what kinda ideas do ya have.

Um....well first off it is mainly going to be a toy, not a huge lift, maybe 3-4 inches, enough to get some mean looking rubber mounted.

But mainly for now i am looking to get it running almost like new. 210k miles and it shows when it comes to performance. When i purchased the truck, the previous owner said that the engine and tranny had been rebuilt....but i haven't been able to find evidence that it has been fixed. So i am having a few small problems with it.

For instance:

Lets say i am cruising down I-44 or whatever highway and i hit the gas to pass someone. The engine will rev but it feels like the tranny is shifting way down to first or second gear and the truck actually slows down and won't shift up again until i let off the gas.

Also has a nastly exhaust leak that i haven't been able to locate yet. But my guess is it is near the connector between the headers and the exhaust pipe thingy....yeah i am not a mechanic....yet. :cool:

But...after all that said, i am looking just for some good looks, a little performance boost. I have a hunting lease near Prue that doesn't have any trails through, so i tend to make my own so need a truck that can handle some off roading. By the way, anybody know the stock HP and torque for the 5.7 vortec?

Anyway, thanks all for the warm welcome, i already love it here.

Um....well first off it is mainly going to be a toy, not a huge lift, maybe 3-4 inches, enough to get some mean looking rubber mounted.

But mainly for now i am looking to get it running almost like new.  210k miles and it shows when it comes to performance.  When i purchased the truck, the previous owner said that the engine and tranny had been rebuilt....but i haven't been able to find evidence that it has been fixed.  So i am having a few small problems with it.

For instance:

Lets say i am cruising down I-44 or whatever highway and i hit the gas to pass someone.  The engine will rev but it feels like the tranny is shifting way down to first or second gear and the truck actually slows down and won't shift up again until i let off the gas.

Also has a nastly exhaust leak that i haven't been able to locate yet.  But my guess is it is near the connector between the headers and the exhaust pipe thingy....yeah i am not a mechanic....yet.  :cool:

But...after all that said, i am looking just for some good looks, a little performance boost.  I have a hunting lease near Prue that doesn't have any trails through, so i tend to make my own so need a truck that can handle some off roading.  By the way, anybody know the stock HP and torque for the 5.7 vortec?

Anyway, thanks all for the warm welcome, i already love it here.

My dad had the same prob with his 5.7. And it was a plugged CAT. I would look at getting that tested. I've heard of Midas and another other local company here Rapid Brake & Muffler 4751 S Memorial Dr that "may" check it for free.

You also might want to take it to like an O'reilys or AutoZone that will check your truck for FREE to see if it's throwing any codes, like a bad O2 sensor.

I have had the free diagnostic checks done and they mostly point to fuel injection and emissions not being what they should. Also one or two said something about poor fuel economy. But i have also talked to several mechanics and they say the handheld code scanners are not reliable and are not a good indicator. Many seem to have bad/incorrect codes.

And when you sayd bad CAT, you mean catalytic converter or.....?

Archived