Front Suspension and Chassis Lubrication - # of Zircs, Best Grease Gun, and OEM Grease for Lubing?

RE:  2023 GMC 3500 Sierra, 6.6 GAS; 6 Speed; 4X4

I read a few threads that state there are 8-11 Zircs for greasing the 2023 GMC 3500, 6.6 GAS, 6 Speed, 4x4

I wanted to know if the 8-11 Zircs is the total # of Zircs for front suspension AND chassis, driveshaft, etc or just the front suspension?

What is the number of Zircs for EACH of the following:  Front suspension; Chassis; Driveshaft; Etc?

Whats is the preferred OEM grease for the above?

Is a Lever Style or Pistol Trigger grease gun the best tool for accessing and greasing the above?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, SoCal Angler said:

I read a few threads that state there are 8-11 Zircs for greasing the 2023 GMC 3500, 6.6 GAS, 6 Speed, 4x4

I wanted to know if the 8-11 Zircs is the total # of Zircs for front suspension AND chassis, driveshaft, etc or just the front suspension?

What is the number of Zircs for EACH of the following:  Front suspension; Chassis; Driveshaft; Etc?

Is a Lever Style or Pistol Trigger grease gun the best tool for accessing and greasing the above?

Thanks!

9 zerks total.  Outer tie rod end (2), upper ball joint (2), lower ball joint (2), pitman arm (1), idler arm (1) and idler arm bracket (1).  All u-joints are sealed, and typically last for quite a while actually.  No other zerks. 

Grease.  Anything that is NLGI#2, Category LB or GC-LB will work.  Pick your favorite brand.  

Grease gun.  Any kind will work.  Some people will however change out the fitting for the idler arm bracket so it is easier to get to, or use a 90 degree nozzle on the end of the gun.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2024 at 8:14 PM, SoCal Angler said:

Thanks!

What Newdude said. But to make it even easier if you’re not sure of the locations. 

3 around each front wheel and three “in the middle” between each wheel/under the engine. 
I use Lucas red N tacky. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. 

Is there a mileage when they should be greased? 

On my boat, I grease until grease comes out of fitting/or part I'm greasing.

Is the same done on these GM zircs or is it just a couple of pumps and call it good ) OR is pumping grease until it comes out of fitting/part considered overfilling or correct?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I believe the manual says at every oil change. 

Suspension parts should be greased until you can see the boot expand slightly. Typically 2-3 pumps. More grease isnt always better since you can unseat or split the boots and allow moisture to enter the joint. I find it easier to remove the splash pan. Its just a few cap screws (5) with my 1/4" impact. 

2500/3500 Series vehicles, at least every engine oil change lubricate the upper and lower control arm ball joints. 2500/3500 Series vehicles equipped with steering linkage, at least every engine oil change lubricate the tie rod ball joints, idler arm pivot shaft bearings, idler arm socket, and pitman arm socket. Caution Lubrication of applicable suspension points should not be done unless the temperature is −12 °C (10 °F) or higher,

Edited by 64BAwagon
  • Thanks 1

yup, 9 total and one in the middle is tough to get too

just have random Lucas oil gun, need to get a 90 deg fitting for middle

will actually be doing this very soon here, for my 3rd oil change......

on my first truck i filled boot up but now just a few pumps

there is a dude who has commercial for cool zerk fitting for guns thats suppose to work really well but forget the name now

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2024 at 7:56 AM, Epsilon Plus said:

LockNLube is the best gun. No more using the lever against something while you hold the zerk on.

https://locknlube.com/

NLGI #2 grade. Any will work.

Epsilon , Can  you just buy the Lock and Lube fitting and attack it the end of a current grease gun ? . I have an older blue colored Lincoln 

Also can someone tell me what grease to use for the 2024 Chevrolet 2500 HD Zerks ?

Thank you 

49 minutes ago, BCGM said:

Also can someone tell me what grease to use for the 2024 Chevrolet 2500 HD Zerks ?

Thank you 

Read post #2 above, tells you everything you need to know about what to use

On 5/24/2024 at 9:14 PM, SoCal Angler said:

Thanks!

This is an option for grease. Let me know and I can send a quote for some delivered to you.  https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-100-synthetic-multi-purpose-grease-glc/?zo=521390

13 hours ago, BCGM said:

Epsilon , Can  you just buy the Lock and Lube fitting and attack it the end of a current grease gun ? . I have an older blue colored Lincoln 

You can get just the fitting and it will work the same.