1 1/2 DIN vs. Double DIN Sizing?

I believe in my 2000 Yukon that the radio opening is a 1 1/2 DIN. What I would like to know is the height difference between that and a double DIN? I have been thinking about adding a navigation system and really like the look of Kenwood's new double DIN touchscreen.

Great idea! I have a 2001 Suburban and I want to add the same Kenwood double din monitor to my truck. I heard that you might be able to buy a 2003-2004 dash (only the plastic piece around the radio and instrument panel) from the dealer and that has the double din opening. Has anyone tried or heard of doing this? I want a very clean look and I don't want anyone cutting into my current dash. THanks for any help you can provide.

• 2 years later...

Any input on this? Searching for the answer for awhile, I've come across alot of half-answers. Have a 99 din-and-a-half, want a double din. I hate the pop-out DVD screens, and don't want to have to fabricate a place for the monitor. What I want to do is sell my Kenwood z910DVD (no built-in monitor) and get a Kenwood double-din with built in monitor.

Getting an 03+ bezel is easy enough, so is getting an 03+ climate control, but will the wiring match? Also, if I were to get an 03+ dual-zone climate control, would it work simply be replacing the CC unit? I doubt it, but worth as shot. Thanks.

Single Din = 2" Height

1 1/2 Din = 3" Height

Double Din = 4" Height

Sorry, but I think your SOL. I imagine you'll have to do much more than just swap the bezels, and I'm certain the wiring is not the same either.

You can use a double din. I just did it in my 2002 Silverado. First you need the Radio bucket and trim bezel from a 03+. You have to cut the radio bucket a little to get it all to fit. And a little trimming around the lighter on the bezel. You can not use the new heater controls. You have to reuse your old one and space them out a little to match the new bezel.

You can use a double din. I just did it in my 2002 Silverado.  First you need the Radio bucket and trim bezel from a 03+. You have to cut the radio bucket a little to get it all to fit. And a little trimming around the lighter on the bezel. You can not use the new heater controls. You have to reuse your old one and space them out a little to match the new bezel.

Sounds like its worth a try I have a 2002 Yukon and recently posted the same question

Did you have any Issues with the driver side of the bezel fitting into a 02 model

Can you post a pic or two?

Thank you in advance

You can use a double din. I just did it in my 2002 Silverado.  First you need the Radio bucket and trim bezel from a 03+. You have to cut the radio bucket a little to get it all to fit. And a little trimming around the lighter on the bezel. You can not use the new heater controls. You have to reuse your old one and space them out a little to match the new bezel.

Sounds like its worth a try I have a 2002 Yukon and recently posted the same question

Did you have any Issues with the driver side of the bezel fitting into a 02 model

Can you post a pic or two?

Thank you in advance

No problems on the drivers side at all. I didn't take any pics of it yet. There is a thread on here explaining the process.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55047

We have installed a few double dins in pre 2003 trucks. The dash itself is big enough for it to fit, it's just the bezel that isn't. The last one i did i used a kit for a 2004(like the Metra 99-2003) and got a factory bezel from a junk yard. The kit won't fit right as there are no mounting holes in the dash, but with a little fabrication it wasn't too bad to make fit. The main goal was to fill the double din hole between the nav andd the factory bezel, which it did. I have also mounted navs in these trucks using backbrace straps(2 on each side) and gently trimming the factory bezel out on top and bottom to make it fit.

Out of the 2 methods, getting a newer bezel makes for the prettiest job...

My buddy just cut away at his dash from his 97 tahoe and put the double din kenwood in there. I on the other hand installed a carputer with a 8 inch touchscreen molded into my dash which i had custom made. if anyone wants to see it Email me...i also have a custom dash made with a 12.1 lcd in it...i have pics of that too if anyone wants to see...i dunno how to post pics in here

Archived