'01 2500HD, 6.0 fuel pump gremlins

Mattt

My fuel pump has left me stranded 4 times in 3 weeks. Sometimes its doesnt turn on. I verified this by the fuel rail schraeder(no fuel with key in ON position) and listening for it in the tank when the key is turned to ON. It has done this after sitting for days(Lake Havasu), and after sitting for minutes(gas station).

The fix is to unplug the wiring from the pump/sending unit on top of the tank. When it does this, its just cranks and cranks, no fuel there. I get out, lay on the ground, reach up around the frame, disconnect the weather-pak connector, re-connect it, have someone in the truck turn the key to ON. Every time this has happened and I have done this, the fuel pump immediately starts pumping once the key is ON.

I took it to the dealer....."sorry sir, no problem, we couldnt duplicate the problem."

Anyone know whats up with this?

Thank God I havent gotten really stuck yet! First time was at Lake Havasu on a Sunday afternoon when Im trying to load my boat on the trailer. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

up

still happening occasionally. Now, I dont even have to unplug the connector. Last time it happened last weekend I just touched the wiring going into the top of the fuel tank and the pump started running again.

Dealer said they checked the wiring and its okay.

Anyone care to speculate, is this a wiring issue, or a fuel pump issue?

up

still happening occasionally.  Now, I dont even have to unplug the connector.  Last time it happened last weekend I just touched the wiring going into the top of the fuel tank and the pump started running again.

Dealer said they checked the wiring and its okay.

Anyone care to speculate, is this a wiring issue, or a fuel pump issue?

geez, from the sound of it, it sounds like a wiring issue with in the pump. even after decribing the problem the dealer doens't do a thing?

Archived