which tires are the best

which tires would u preferr?  

1,381 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am doing a tire study myself getting ready to buy new for winter. Micheln hands down make the best and longest lasting tire IMHO. Goodyear and BFG seem to rate about the same in happy customers vs. unsatisfied customers. I have Procomp M/Ts now and am not completly satisfied with them. Still unsure what is the best though.

Coming from the other side then...My first Burb was a 1992 K2500 with a 454 with a few mods and now I have a 2001 K2500 with a 496 sporting a Westers PCM. The first thing I found out is E load range is the only way to go. I should add that my right and left foot nail the gas and brakes pretty hard and I swear a Burb is a sports car. FYI BFG is owned my Michelin. They price lock their tires so you will pay a premium. I have heard good things about the LTX's but have no experience with them.

I bought the BFG 265/75/16 All Terrain KO's hoping they would work well. They look great but that is about all I have to say about them. With 65 psi in them on 8 inch wheels they wore heavily on the outside edges. Before someone says alignment, we had a Hunter 411 where I worked. In the rain they would break loose very easily and in the snow was down right scary. After 24K miles they needed to be replaced. They did seem to do well on dirt roads.

On my 01 Burb, I just put on a set of 265/75/16 Revo's E load range on the stock wheels, after getting 40K out of the stock crappy Firestone tires. I have only driven it maybe 40 miles, but I was impressed with the wet weather traction. Off a stop light full throttle it spun both tires for about 10 feet then hooked up and off it went. Pushing it hard around a corner waiting for it to come out sidewayz it took more throttle than in the past to get the rear to kick out. Beyond that I can not comment as they are new to me. I did tons of research trying to find what was going to work for me. Of course I purchased these on other people recommendations, as they had the highest recommendation.

I did much of my research on a couple of RV websites as no-one puts as much milage on a set of tires as a long haul traveler, this website and the Tire Rack's customer rating.

Peter - Running the 65 psi could have been part of the problem, not to mention that the ride must have been terrible?

I have the BFG 285's on my Z71 and the 305's on my HD, and while not hauling a load; 35 is proving to be the best psi on both vehicles. The HD has about 19K on this set of BFG's and the wear has been nice and even.

I vote for BFG's, but I have mine siped to improve traction on wet roads. Next month I will be putting BFG 315's on my Ford (in combonation with a 4" lift)

Here's the way Consumer Report ranks 'em:

1 Goodyear Fortera HL Edition $115

2 Pirelli Scorpion STR A $110

3 Hankook DynaPro AS RH03 $80

4 Kelly Safari Signature $90

5 Dayton Timberline HT $75

6 Hankook DynaPro AT RF08 $80

7 Dunlop Radial Rover AT $85

8 General AmeriTrac SUV (Sears) $90

9 Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country $75

10 Toyo Open Country M410 $75

11 Kumho Road Venture HT $65

12 Firestone Destination LE $75

13 Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 $75

14 Uniroyal Laredo All Season AWP $70

15 Michelin XC LT4 (Sears) $140

16 Cooper Discoverer H/T $75

17 Michelin LTX M/S $120

18 Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 $85

19 Michelin Cross Terrain $120

20 Continental ContiTrac $95

21 Kelly Safari SUV $80

22 BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A $85

The ranking was based on wet/dry braking, snow/ice, comfort, rolling resistance, noise.

It's always going to be BFG AT's when you ask on a board like this. It's the most common tire bought. Do some research on the internet, you'll find tons of info about tires. I've owned every tire you mentioned above except for the PC AT's, Revo's are by far the best ALL around tire IMO. My BFG's, were new on my truck when I bought it a couple years ago chunked out with less than 20K miles on them, do some research, I'm not the only one! Just my experiences, and for the list of Consumer Reports, 20 of those tires are not a true AT, they might have AT on the tire, but just 'cuz they fit on SUV's don't make them a true AT tire. Most of those would get stuck in wet grass going up a little hill! Chris

I love my Goodyear Wrangler AT/S's,I've always had great wear with Goodyears in the past 14 years I've owed trucks and wouldn't run anything but them.

But its just like everything else (gas,oil,wax,etc..) everybody has there favorites.

I voted for the Michelins. They are extremely quiet and smooth. I had the wheels balanced first, then had the tires installed and rebalanced with the stick on weights in the inside of the wheels.

It would also be interesting to know what air pressure folks run. I run 38 in the front and 35 in the rear and they seem to be wearing very even at 12K miles. I read someplace that the extended cab is almost perfectly balanced front and rear at 55/45.

Machine, 65 PSI was not enough to keep the outside edge from wearing too fast, I really needed more pressure, but the BFG's are only D load range. As for the ride, I prefer a firm ride. At the time my sports car had all poly bushings in it, so the ride was plush. My 01 Burb I cranked the torsion bars up to level it, which made it ride stiffer...so it handles much better now.

My current tire pressure is 65 on the front and 50 in the rear. I kick the rear tire pressure up depending on what I am towing.

Archived