00-02 Instrument clusters

I see these on ebay, and wonder why you can't just get the tranny temperature gauge. Dealer steered me to a local fix-it shop that repairs radios and instruments/guages for GM dealers, and the tech seemed to think that it cannot be done. Supposedly you can get the upgraded instrument cluster and plug it in and have the temp guage and a higher reading speedo, but the odometer will be off and will have to be set at the dealership. If there is a source of just the temp guage, I would rather go that way, don't really need 120 speedo.

Any techs out there know about this?

I have a 2000 NBS tahoe and I upgraded my cluster to an 02 escalade cluster . I bought it off e-bay and they programmed my mileage in. However, I was wondering if my speedometer is off. I thought I covered everything by programming the mileage in. Any info? It seems pretty accurate I guess.

You can add the trans temp guage from US Speedo, but the original cluster must be programmed for it to work on the 99-02 NBS. Trust me, I added the guage to my cluster, and had to send it to US speedo for programming. To be honest, in hindsight I would have bought the Denali cluster from JP customs if I knew I had to send mine off to be programmed just to add the Temp gauge. It would have been much easier, as I tried several different circuit boards from US speedo, as we tried to figure out why it would not work, plus my truck is a 1999, so it made it even harder because of the airbag light issue. 99 was different from 00-02. JP customs sells the Denali cluster to work with the 99.

I too have a 99 like 99GMCZ71, and I picked up a Denali cluster from JP Customs for about $275. Seemed like too much of a hassle to make just the trans temp guage work in the 99, although I've heard that it is not as much of a hassle (but still a hassle nonetheless) to make it work on the 00-02.

If you click on the link under the picture in my sig and go to page 4, you can get an idea of what the Denali cluster looks like. (sorry about the pop-ups)

Archived