I think I've found the answer...

While I was waiting for my wife's hair appointment today, I wandered across town to the Chevy dealer and test drove a new 1500 HD Crew Cab LS 4x4.

It fulfills everything I'd ever need it for.  I don't need the load capacity or the long bed of a 2500 or 3500, but there have already been days that I just wish I had a truck.  

The crew cab offers more interior room than my Malibu (or so it seemed) so there's a more comfortable ride for my family when heading out on road trips.

The only other option for me would be an Avalanche, but I'm not sure how long the seals would remain watertight around that midgate.  It also doesn't have the 6.0L.

The ride was firm, but not unbearable.  In fact it was a bit nicer than the '98 2500 Suburban LT that I drive at work every now and then.  And the braking was much better without having to put my foot to the floor and still wondering when I'd stop.

Ladies and gentlemen, GM has finally come up with a solution to all my problems.  It is the Silverado 1500 HD Crew Cab.

(Edited by Chuggernaut at 11:45 pm on May 25, 2001)

Chugger, two words for you.....Do It!!! I myself am aspiring to a 2500HD. I tow a horse trailer, and am in the process of getting a house on some acreage, along with barn, horses, etc. So I will convince my wife (some how, some way) that we need a 2500HD for the ranch and for the 5th-wheel that she wants.

I was playing with the idea of getting a 2500HD crew with the 6.0L.  After doing some research I can get the 1500HD crew "LT" model for about the same price as a 2500HD "LS" w/leather.  Both trucks are about msrp.  My biggest problem is the 2500 I was looking at was black and I don't have time to take care of that much black paint!!!  And the only "LT" 1500HD I can locate around here is black too....  I may have to order one I guess!!!

I was considering the 6.0, even the 1500HD, both with the crew-cab, but then I started reading other people's gripes with the 6.0 engine; how it pings and is a little shy on power when towing, so I think I'm holding out for an 8.1. I understand that 8.1 is not that much thirstier than the 6.0.  I see a lot of towing in my future, so I think that the 2500HD 8.1 is my best bet. As with most things, the price tag is the only thing holding me back! Dang it!

I believe the late '01's and the '02's should have a 6.0L rated at 325 hp.  I had heard they did some top end work (engineering) to eliminate some of the knock and ping issues that some people have experianced.

Archived