How to get 3-M tape off?

jaslo

Sounds like I will be going to the autoparts store, tried the rubbing alcohol, then a razor blade and ended up scratching the truck, so I said hell with that. Mine has only been on there for a year. I would think it be easier to get off.

I'll second....or third the vote for the Goo Gone. I took all of the body mouldings off of my truck and was left with some 3M pinstriping as a result. I tried the 3M remover and it only added to my frustration. Letting soak wouldn't help matters......water and my hands would give the same result.

The Goo Gone was a miracle. I just spread some on a rag, and was quickly able to wipe all of the tape from the sides of the truck. I was pretty impressed as it was the fastest solvent I had tried.

• 1 month later...

How did you get so lucky? I went to remove them off my 95 Silverado when I bought my 99 and I ended up breaking the ventvisor in 3 pieces! I'll swear by 3M tape any day of the week. I also use 3M 2 sided tape to tape emergency lights to my rear window. I havent had one stop working even with a rear window defroster I use quite often. Goo Gone makes a package probably available at any hardware store (I got mine at Ace Hardware) called "Sticker Lifter" that comes with the goo gone solution and a plastic almost like a puddy knife that can remove tape, stickers, etc. I used this to remove the lights off my 99 Silverado to put in my 2004. Guess I should have tried this with my Vent Visors too :flag:

Guest chevydeerhunter

3-M also makes a rubber wheel that attaches to a drill specifically for the purpose of removing adhesive. It works really well without the danger of ruining the paint. If you can't find it, Goof Off, IMHO works better than Goo Gone and faster too.

Archived