4L60E "no go" now and then

BDK

I have noticed that after looking over these boards for a couple years that some of you with a 4L60E have the "no go" problem from a standing start. The transmission feels like its trying to start off in second gear, hesitates and then gets it right and takes off.

My question is whether this actually turns into a serious problem? Does anyone know what this actually is? This takes place for me about once per month and I changed out the fluid at 20,000 with 27,000 on it now. Dealer was no help.

I have a 2001, 5.3L. Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem, I have an '04 Silverado Z71, 5.3 that has what feels like it's slipped on my twice from a stop. Starts revving then catches, kinda like the Torque converter engagement RPM was raised.

I have had the vehicle for about 10 months now and has only happened twice, so not that big of a deal, but I have the same concern about it developing into a larger problem.

We'll see. BTW: How do you tell if you have a 4L60E? Is it a code in the VIN or something?

I've had my truck since August, and the exact thing you guys are describing has happened to me twice. I have noticed that both time were after a long drive i.e. over 100 miles. driving 20 or 30 miles seems to have no effect. I took it to the dealer and as usual they can't find the problem and have never heard of such a thing happening. :( I'm glad I'm not the only one. An explination of this would be great though. :smash:

I'm not sure if this is the same problem, I have an '04 Silverado Z71, 5.3 that has what feels like it's slipped on my twice from a stop.  Starts revving then catches, kinda like the Torque converter engagement RPM was raised.

I have had the vehicle for about 10 months now and has only happened twice, so not that big of a deal, but I have the same concern about it developing into a larger problem.

We'll see.  BTW:  How do you tell if you have a 4L60E?  Is it a code in the VIN or something?

The 4L60E is typical of a 1500 series truck and an Mcode in the vin number.

If any of you find that it develops into something please let us know. If you get it fixed let us know what it is. I get out into some far reaching places and I sure don't want to find out then.

Thanks.

I bought my '04 4.8/4L60-E Silverado last June, and within the first few hundred miles, my truck truck did the same thing your truck is doing. I went in and talked with the service manager and he said it was a common problem. He said lets make an appointment, and we'll reflash the computer with some updated software. Since I've had that done, I haven't had any more problems with 7,000 miles on the clock. Once in a blue moon, I will have the erratic, shuddering 1-2 shift, but that almost always happens when I take off extremely light on the throttle. Maybe you could talk to your dealer about a reflash? Good luck.

I had a '99 2wd ECSB NBS Silverado that had that same issue. It started to do that same thing at 100 mi on the odo. It went back to the dealership 8 times for this issue. They rebuilt the valve bodies a couple times, flushed the tranny out, pretty much did everything except change the tranny out completely. The last time I brought it in, they reflashed the computer. I'm not sure if it came back or not. In the week I had it after the reflash, it drove very well. GM bought my '99 truck back for study and pretty much gave me the '02 that I have now. :withstupid:

I agree...if someone finds out what this is, please let us all know. I have it and it seems to be getting more frequent. I had a guy that I used to work with get his tranny pump replaced or something like that and said that his had done the same thing. Since I don't have the money to sink into her to do that, I've been just waiting and seeing (and hoping that nothing happens) even though I have a tranny cooler.

I've had quite a bad experience with my NBS Z71, a lot of problems, and now it started slipping form 2nd to 3rd, 74k miles. Just now got the call from the dealer $1.1k, and the list keeps getting longer....

Wondering about that NBS F150..... its a shame it is not available yet over here....

I have noticed that after looking over these boards for a couple years that some of you with a 4L60E have the "no go" problem from a standing start.  The transmission feels like its trying to start off in second gear, hesitates and then gets it right and takes off.

My question is whether this actually turns into a serious problem?  Does anyone know what this actually is?  This takes place for me about once per month and I changed out the fluid at 20,000 with 27,000 on it now.  Dealer was no help.

I have a 2001, 5.3L.  Thanks.

My 1999 GMC NBS does the exact same thing. Every once in a while it will start in second gear then switch back to first and take on off. It's annoying as heck. It only does every once in a while. I even made a post about it here months ago. I have still yet to find a fix for it, but i read somewhere that it could be an ignition switch problem, or the transmission electronic indicator problem, but I can't verify that. If anybody has an answer, please post it.

My dealer updated my PCM (BCM?) and the problem seemed to go away. This was a couple years ago, so I don't really remember, but I think since the "2nd gear start" problem was not a fix listed on the PCM updates list I had to makeup something else that was on the list (poor gas mileage maybe).

Archived