Leather seat repair kit or seat covers?

jaslo

Hey everyone.

I been noticing that the leather seats are getting scratches real easy. Is there a leather repair kit out there that you guys recommend? Or should I go with some seat covers and what do you guys recommend and how much? Do the heated seats still work well when you put seat covers on them.

I'm not sure how well the repair kits work, but Katzkins makes some real nice leather covers and door panel inserts. I believe the kit is less than $700.

http://www.autoleathers.com/HTML2/AL.MAIN.FS.html

I went with neoprene covers myself, they slip right over the factory covers and look really nice. Got em from a company called Legacy for $303 shipped to my door.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38506

I don't know about how covers will affect the effectiveness of your heated seats, because I don't that feature, but covers are a must-do, IMO. I got some from Alco Manufacturing in Anderson, SC 800-444-2526. Nicely shaped to the relatively unusual shape of the GM truck seats, and they're wearing well, too.

Seat covers will keep your truck looking a lot better, and by protecting the seat will enhance re-sale.

gnutruk

Guest chevydeerhunter

Do you guys treat your leather seats? I had a Z-28 with leather seats and I would treat them with saddle soap once a month to keep them from cracking. There are tons of leather conditioners out there now that will keep your leather nice and soft without a lot of work.

I have been looking through some magazine, found some in a Cabella's magazine. They are some Custom-fit neoprene seat covers for about $270. Anyone ever bought these?

Others may have different opinions, but I have ridden in vehicles with neoprene seat covers and didn't like the feel at all. In hot weather they seem 'hotter' and somehow just not right. Not exactly 'stickier,' but 'plastic-ier' and too slick for my liking. Also, thought I've never seen any figures on the subject, I sorta think neoprene isn't going to hold up as well as leather or good quality fabric. Sun exposure, and all that.

I have fabric covers over my fabric seats. Nice and cool in the summer, and immediately 'warm' feeling in cold weather. My truck has the light tan interior, and I got matching light tan covers to keep the inside cooler feeling in summer.

gnutruk

Do you guys treat your leather seats?  I had a Z-28 with leather seats and I would treat them with saddle soap once a month to keep them from cracking.  There are tons of leather conditioners out there now that will keep your leather nice and soft without a lot of work.

I don't have leather seats but you definately need to oil it. (Lot's of experience with saddles) Otherwise the leather becomes brittle and dry-rotted. Without oil it loses its pliability and strength, thus in the car when it needs to flex around your rear and absorb impacts and other stresses, it can't and will crack.

I have been looking through some magazine, found some in a Cabella's magazine. They are some Custom-fit neoprene seat covers for about $270. Anyone ever bought these?

Others may have different opinions, but I have ridden in vehicles with neoprene seat covers and didn't like the feel at all. In hot weather they seem 'hotter' and somehow just not right. Not exactly 'stickier,' but 'plastic-ier' and too slick for my liking. Also, thought I've never seen any figures on the subject, I sorta think neoprene isn't going to hold up as well as leather or good quality fabric. Sun exposure, and all that.

I have fabric covers over my fabric seats. Nice and cool in the summer, and immediately 'warm' feeling in cold weather. My truck has the light tan interior, and I got matching light tan covers to keep the inside cooler feeling in summer.

gnutruk

Where did you get your seat covers at? I would think it would be ok to put seat covers over the leather seats. what do you think?

No ill affects on adding seat covers to leather seats, however you will notice a decrease in seat heat performance. It will take longer to heat up and probably wont feel as hot at peak temp. But no damage to the seat should occur.

Leather will hold up and be very resistant to damage if maintained properly. Use leather cleaner and conditioner often. Once a month depending on use sounds correct. It will be very dependable if maintained.

I would think that a new trim cover woud be cheaper than some of the prices quoted in this thread. I have not personally checked prices (cause I can get a new seat anytime for the cost of lunch..I know rubbin it in) but, any aftermarket trim shop can hogring the leather back on for you.

NOTE: For 03' and newer, replacing the trim cover on the passenger seat requires calibration of your OCS system. The Delphi PODS-B system will need to be serviced by your dealer immediately after trim install.

gnutruk

Where did you get your seat covers at? I would think it would be ok to put seat covers over the leather seats. what do you think?

The only contact info I have for where I purchased my covers is Alco Manufacturing in Anderson, SC 800-444-2526. Maybe they have a website now, and you can take a look at the different models, fabrics, and colors they offer. To the best of my knowledge they only offer fabric covers, but maybe they've added leather covers since I bought mine.

Putting fabric covers over your leather seats would be fine. Of course, you lose the look and feel of leather, but what can be done? If you are going to have covers over them, it seems to me the only way you can keep the look and feel of leather is to get add-on covers that are made of leather, too. I would imagine that would work just fine, but probably be expensive.

Like Yukon04 said, adding any sort of cover will probably decrease the effectiveness of your heated seats. As he suggested, it shouldn't be a big deal - just take a bit longer to get up to warmest level, that's all. I don't have leather seats with heating, so I have no experience with that.

gnutruk

• 2 years later...

Archived