Autotap Diagnostic: generic & enhanced

Hi everyone, I'm just started looking into diagnostic programs for my laptop and I've been looking at Autotap's website and so far it looks like a decent program. I downloaded their demo of the program and was playing around with it and its pretty cool and I think would be very helpful. My question is that is it just for the demo or is the generic program that limited for PID's and do the enhanced programs (GM's for ex.) allow bi-directional controls? All that you could look at without having the enhanced program was calculated engine load, ECT, RPM, ignition voltage, IAT, MAP and VSS. On their website they list a lot more, AutoTap Generic Data. I understand each manufacturer is different on how much data is sent to the scan tools in generic OBD II but will the base program have this? I'm gonna call AutoTap tomorrow but I just wanted to know for those of you who have this program already, how you like it, is it reliable (no bugs, ect...), would you reccomend it? I'm just trying to do some research before dumping 280 buck on this. Also, if anyone knows of any site that has done a review on this or similar programs, please write in. Thanks for any information at all!

Zack

I own AutoTAP w/Enhanced Parameters for ALL 1996 Vehicles since my GF is a Ford fan. AutoTAP is not a bi-directional tool, except it does allow for you to remove SES codes.

For logging and diags I love it. I run it on an old Celeron 500mhz Laptop from Dell w/Windows XP.

However, I also own EFILiveV5/V6. It is LS-Based Engine Only. That means any 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0/8.1 Liter GM Engine can use it from 1999-2005. For these Engines it is as good as AutoTAP AND it is Bi-Directional. You can turn off Injectors, Coils, etc.

If you are planning to only do Diags on your truck, then get EFILive.

Thanks for the response. Do you know of any other PC based programs that have bi-directional controls built into them that are not just ls1 based? Thats what I'd really like to find but I'm not sure if there is anything out there that I'm looking for. If you know of anything, please let me know. Thanks!

http://www.AutoEnginuity.com

Bi-directional with complete diagonistic control including crank learn. Will do just about everything a Tech2 will do. Samples 40 times a second. Autotap samples 10 times a second, and I found that is way too slow when recording 8-10 functions. RPM would only capture once every 500-600 rpm on a full throttle run, My new A/E captures about every 50 rpm!

I haven't compared it first hand to Efilive, but it is very similar. I have the PC based version, but a Palm version is available too.

The reason I want a program with bi-directinal capibilites is because I'm graduating from Nascar Technical Institute (UTI is the parent company) and I'm in my last 2 phases of the Ford FACT program so when I get out next month I'd like to have the ability to do side work at home so more power to me. Diagnosing driveability problems or anything for that matter is just easier with the ability to control output state devices. You can find out weather its input related or output related and I could go way more indepth but thats the basic idea.

Butch, I just got done looking at the link you posted and this looks like a way better deal than autotap! Does the base program do everything listed on this page, Autoenginuity (especially everything in the "something we offer that others dont") or is that what the enhanced CD is for? Please let me know how you like it and if its worth it. Thanks!!

UPDATE: After downloading the sample program and reading just about everything on their website about this product I am deffinetly going to purchase this program! I cant believe how much this has to offer, Mode 6 data plus all other enhanced programs you can get! Im getting hyped over this, haha. Ill post pack when I figure out what Im gonna get.

The reason I want a program with bi-directinal capibilites is because I'm graduating from Nascar Technical Institute (UTI is the parent company) and I'm in my last 2 phases of the Ford FACT program so when I get out next month I'd like to have the ability to do side work at home so more power to me.  Diagnosing driveability problems or anything for that matter is just easier with the ability to control output state devices.  You can find out weather its input related or output related and I could go way more indepth but thats the basic idea. 

Butch, I just got done looking at the link you posted and this looks like a way better deal than autotap!  Does the base program do everything listed on this page, Autoenginuity (especially everything in the "something we offer that others dont") or is that what the enhanced CD is for?  Please let me know how you like it and if its worth it.  Thanks!!

UPDATE:  After downloading the sample program and reading just about everything on their website about this product I am deffinetly going to purchase this program!  I cant believe how much this has to offer, Mode 6 data plus all other enhanced programs you can get!  Im getting hyped over this, haha.  Ill post pack when I figure out what Im gonna get.

I got the enhanced version right off the bat, ($99 cost) and I had the enhanced version of the Autotap too. This is way better. Only had it for 2 weeks and already I'm impressed. Just did the free version update over the weekend but haven't had time to play with it yet. Yes, it is all it says on the website!

Great find Butch!!! I had no idea about this.

You are correct, AutoTAP's ability to read the OBD2 bus is SSSSLLLOOOOWWW and more than a few logged functions tie up the recording.

Thanks for the link!!

Ok - retarded comment here. It looks like this scan tool is primarily for looking at things instead of making adjustments - correct. I know almost absolutely nothing about all these sensors and stuff. But how does this compare to something like HPtune? Is it that this has more to do with looking and the HPtune is more for tinkering?

Archived