If you really want to appreciate your HD...

I've had my 2500HD cc/8.1/Allison for almost a year now. Great truck. Got to order from factory and traded in my 1500 Z-71 Ext cab (another great truck). You remember that feeling you get when you step out of your old ride and in to your new ride...? Well, I've found a way to experience that feeling weekly!

Got myself a "project truck" about three weeks ago. A 1972 Chevrolet K20 4x4. It's longbed, 350 v8, 4 speed manual with air (not working), tilt, tach and a radio you can't hear at highway speeds :seeya: It's fun to drive and a great change-up from my CC.

The best part is jumping back in the '04 after driving the '72 for a few days. Really makes me appreciate the 8.1/Allison, seats, radio, DVD, comfort, quietness, speed, etc., etc., etc. It's like I get a new truck every few days...

Right on!! I have been driving a 89 S10 pickup for 16 years now. It's still runs great and actually still looks kinda new. However, when I sit my but in my new 04 2500HD CC LB 8.1 Allison, I believe the first thing you see is my sh** eatin grin coming down the road. I go from one extreme to another on a regular basis. :crackup:

04 2500HD CC LB 8.1/Allison

89 S10 Pickup 4.3

96 Astro Van 4.3

I know the feeling! I drive the 72 suburban for a change every now and then and I also daily drive my 96 Mustang GT. I love getting back in the crew cab after driving one for a while. Makes me appreciate it more.

I know what you mean, I go from a 76' C10 to my 2500 and its like night and day. No radio, A/C, etc. I don't drive my "good truck" everyday, too many idjits with no sense with their vehicles at work + Wal mart, especially in a college town. When I do drive it around I get the big grins too! Vast improvements in 25 years to the GM trucks! Yee hah! I get to drive the "good truck" home in a few minutes..... You know what really bugs me is all the money I have put into my little hot rod 76' and the dang 2000 is still quicker!

My experience going from a 93 Suburban to the 05 PU is it not as much of a giant step forward as it is different. While I like the 05, I've been surprised by the number of little things that were steps backward or designs that left you wanting. Take out the DMAX and the Allison and the rest is not that extraordinary.

My experience going from a 93 Suburban to the 05 PU is it not as much of a giant step forward as it is different. While I like the 05, I've been surprised by the number of little things that were steps backward or designs that left you wanting.  Take out the DMAX and the Allison and the rest is not that extraordinary.

whitsnake01,

I agree with you on certain mechanical issues. BRAKES! When I went from my 88 to my first NBS(99 Silv) they bragged on the Rear Dinamic Proportoining system and the speed sens steering, handling etc. I really could not feel 11 years of advanced technology in the driving feel of my new truck. The power steering seemed to work reasonably as well in my old truck and the ride was actually smoother in the 88. As for the brakes, what a big disappointment. Still spongy and really not any different. I am like you, it was not such a giant step forward. The RDP in the brakes is unoticable. If anyone can say that when they stop a GM full sized truck or SUV and the rear brakes grab harder to level it out is up in the night. Speed Sens Steering. I now drive an HD(not equipped with it). There is no noticable difference at highway speeds in the firmness of the wheel that I can tell from my 99. And as for ride, my 88 still rode better than my 03. As far as bells and whistles the new trucks have it all, but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts it was not a big jump for me.

Archived