Help with my 89GMC its broke... calling the pro's!

I know the fuel pump subject has been beat before but I did not find anything pertaining to my '89GMC pickup, it is the 2wd shortbox stepside and has the smaller v-8 I think a 305?? anyway my problem is...

I think its the fuel pump but it could also be the relay? or a fuse? can someone, everyone, Please tell me where I may find the relay? also the fuse? prime lead?

any other help in finding what it may be thats wrong with it before I pull the pump itself..

Thanks so kindly in advance for all the Great help I hope to get from here..

and to those who have a beer once in awhile.. Here is cyber beer for you

The relay is located on the firewall,passenger side along with the fuel pump fuselink and optional relay. You can bypass the relay by running a jumper from the pos side of the battery to one of the terminals on the diagnostic terminal under the dash (don't have the book here but if you still need an answer tomorrow I'll find out which terminal). This will tell you if the fuel pump itself is working. You should be able to hear it run for a few seconds if you squat down near the driver side of the bed and have someone turn the key to the run position.

You can swap the fuel pump relay with the optional rely next to it, for a quick but not complete test of the fuel pump relay.

The fuse for the fuel pump circuit is visually inspected, it is simply a two prong flat plug-in fuse (20 amp I think) on the firewall right under the passenger side windshield wiper.

I'll check on ya tomorrow to see if you've figured it out.

If the fuel pump fuse is blown, you might also check the wiring to/from the oil pressure sending switch as well as the sender itself. A short there will cause the fuse to go and without the oil signal the control module will not let it run. Ask me how I know. :crackup:

Archived