Swaping tranys

Friend of mine call me the other day and told me that he have available Alison transmission that came off from a wrecked GMC 2500 ,05 with only 3700 miles on it. He said that it is bolt on, clean swap on mine 2004 4x4,4.8l Chevy Silverado.I really want to have the Alison trany on my truck and I was looking in to it.

What do you guys think? Is it going to work or not? Is it just matter of pulling mine out and bolting “Ally” on…hmmm sounds to good to me…? :cry:

I can get it tomorrow for a knock out price

Thanks for any suggestions in advance

:D:cheers:

Friend of mine call me the other day and told me that he have available Alison transmission that came off from a wrecked GMC 2500 ,05 with only 3700 miles on it. He said that it is bolt on, clean swap on mine 2004 4x4,4.8l Chevy Silverado.I really want to have the Alison trany on my truck and I was looking in to it.

What do you guys think? Is it going to work or not? Is it just matter of pulling mine out and bolting “Ally” on…hmmm sounds to good to me…? :cry:

:D  :cheers:

Although the engine to tranny bolt pattern may be the same the rest is not. The crossmembers are different, the exhaust is different, the wiring and programming of the BCM and PCM are way different. the frame is taller on the HD's so clearence may be a big issue too, the drive shafts are a different lenth and the linkage may be different also. Even if you could get around all those issues the Ally would eat up a ton of your 4.8's HP and torque (you would not be happy about that)

:D  :cheers:

How much can you get it for and can you also get the T-case?

Figures … :cry: . Let’s see... All the issues that you mentioned make a lot of sense to me, but I can work around the cross members, the exhaust, wiring and programming BCM and PCM, the only thing that does bugs me is loosing HP and torque.

But why is that? Why would I loose that much HP and torque when my motor is 285HP only 10hp less then 5.3 which is 295 hp…? And I know 5.3 are coupled with Alison trany...

I can get the transmission for $900.00 but that’s me…friend …you know.

Don’t know about the T-case but I can always ask him.

Thanks BBSilverado. :D

Figures … :cry: . Let’s see... All the issues that you mentioned make a lot of sense to me, but I can work around the cross members, the exhaust, wiring and programming BCM and PCM, the only thing that does bugs me is loosing HP and torque.

But why is that? Why would I loose that much HP and torque when my motor is 285HP only 10hp less then 5.3 which is 295 hp…? And I know 5.3 are coupled with Alison trany...

Thanks BBSilverado.  :D

The allison has never been mated to a 5.3L or even an 6.0L, the ally has only been behind a 8.1L or a Duramax and only in a 2500HD or 3500.

The Ally is a HD tranny and takes more HP just to turn it beacuse of the larger torque converter and larger heavier gears along with higher pump output pressure.

The $900 is a good price compared to the optional price ($2200), but there will be no easy or cheap way for you to be able to use it.

The only engines hooked to the Allison trans is the Vortec 6000 V8, Vortec 8100 V8, Duramax Diesel 6600 V8 the Allison requires too much torque to run the 6.0L and smaller engines. The 4.8L only has 295 foot LB torque and the 6.0L has 360 LB TQ. :cheers:

The only engines hooked to the Allison trans is the Vortec 6000 V8, Vortec 8100 V8, Duramax Diesel 6600 V8 the Allison requires too much torque to run the 6.0L and smaller engines. The 4.8L only has 295 foot LB torque and the 6.0L has 360 LB TQ. :cheers:

NO 6.0L with a Allison either, just the 8.1L and 6.6L Duramax

Right from the GM web site specs.

Regular Cab Long Box 2500HD

2WD/ 4x4 Work Truck, Base, LS Vortec 6000 V8 300 @ 4400 360 @ 4000 Vortec 8100 V8 Duramax Diesel 6600 V8 5-speed HD manual overdrive Hydra-Matic 4-speed automatic overdrive HD ZF 6-speed HD manual overdrive Allison 5-speed automatic overdrive.

check it out your self.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

Right from the GM web site specs.

Regular Cab Long Box 2500HD

2WD/ 4x4 Work Truck, Base, LS Vortec 6000 V8 300 @ 4400 360 @ 4000 Vortec 8100 V8 Duramax Diesel 6600 V8 5-speed HD manual overdrive Hydra-Matic 4-speed automatic overdrive HD ZF 6-speed HD manual overdrive Allison 5-speed automatic overdrive.

check it out your self.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

I just checked it out and I still say no Ally with a 6.0L

Try to build one and you will see that the Ally does not show up as an option once you choose the 6.0, only the 4 speed auto (which is the 4L80E) or the manual, then try the 8.1 or diesel and the Ally will be available for $1200 ( it used to be $2200)

We just bought some new company trucks and could not order an Allison with the 6.0

"Diesel 6600 V8 5-speed HD manual overdrive Hydra-Matic 4-speed automatic overdrive ". No 5-speed manual or 4speed auto available with DMax 6600. Only available with Allison 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual. BBSilverado is also right when he said, no Ally with 6.0. Never has been. You can't even build that combo on that site.

6000 5-speed manual or 4L80E 4 spd auto

6600(dmax) ZF 6-speed manual or Allison 1000 5 spd auto

8100 ZF 6-speed manual or Allison 1000 5 spd auto

hydra-matic not even made anymore

"Diesel 6600 V8 5-speed HD manual overdrive Hydra-Matic 4-speed automatic overdrive ". No 5-speed manual or 4speed auto available with DMax 6600. Only available with Allison 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual. BBSilverado is also right when he said, no Ally with 6.0. Never has been. You can't even build that combo on that site.

6000 5-speed manual or 4L80E 4 spd auto

6600(dmax) ZF 6-speed manual or Allison 1000 5 spd auto

8100 ZF 6-speed manual or Allison 1000 5 spd auto

hydra-matic not even made anymore

What do you think the 4L80E is its madein Ypsilanti MI by GM and the new 6L80E will be coming out in the fall made by GM too. :D:cry:

In order to fit an Allison in your truck you would have to install a body lift. The frame issue, is due to cab clearance. The bodies on all HDs are raised 2 inches higher (hence the spacer in the bumper on the gmc, and the taller grille on the 01-02 chevy.

If you are dead-set on a heavier-duty tranny, I'd look at a 4l80E. That would be a bit more fresable. The Allison would be out of the question (i'm sure with enough $$$ anything could be done, but you wouldn't be at all happy with the truck), unless your planning on getting an 8.1 to power it.

Archived