20's on 2005 Crew Cab 2-wheel drive

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2-wheel drive. I've had the truck about 2 weeks and it has 500 miles on it. I just had a set of 20" Motto MK100's with 285/50R20 Goodyear Eagle GT II's installed at the local Goodyear Dealership. Did I miss a valuable piece of information? Was this a bad idea? I checked with the biggest dealer within a 100 mile radius (Memphis, TN) and was informed that this set up would not be a problem at all. I was totally unaware of a "frame weakness" problem. I just called to see if the tires were going to rub. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I've lowered the rear of the vehicle 2" with DJM shackles if that matters at all. Thanks in advance.

All the information I've read dealt with 2004's and that the problem was solved for the 2005's. The dealer that I bought the truck from offered me the factory 20's but the price was too much so I went with the aftermarket. The discussions here are the first I've heard of it.

And no I'm not looking for reassurance from anyone here, just information I can take to the dealership to get a clear answer on the afore mentioned question. After all, reassurance here is totally irrevelant. I'm looking for peace of mind where it counts, GMC!

Pretty sure I already posted this, or some variation of it. Here it is again and it's a little confusing, I will admit.

---------------------------------

04-05 Chevrolet/GMC 1500 Crew Cab with 5 ft 8 inch Bed Follow-Up Message 20-inch Wheels Stop Sell on 1500 Crew Cab with 5 ft 8 inch Bed - kw 03-03-10-006A tire rim information suspension steering

#PIT3235A - (Nov 16, 2004)

04-05 Chevrolet/GMC 1500 Crew Cab with 5'8" Bed Follow-Up Message 20-Inch Wheels Stop Sell on 1500 Crew Cab with 5'8" Bed

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE VSE20040060

(follow-up message released on 11/10/04)

This is a follow-up message to the communication that went out on 10/19/2004 relative to the "stop sell" of dealer installed 20-Inch Plus-Size Wheels offered as Chevrolet and GMC Accessories on 1500 Series Crew Cab models of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

General Motors has concluded that no further action is required relative to 1500 Series Crew Cab models equipped with the 20-Inch Plus-Size Wheels previously delivered to customers. However, these wheels should continue to be restricted for use on 2004-05 model year 1500 Series Crew Cab models until component design changes are implemented in the 2006 model year. Therefore, all 1500 Series Crew Cab models equipped with 20-Inch Plus-Size Wheels in dealer inventory should not be sold. These vehicles should be returned to original equipment (OE) specification. Please reference Technical Service Bulletin 03-03-10-006 to perform such necessary steps. A warranty claim can be filed using labor operation code Z2091. This will allow payment to a dealership for work performed (including parts and labor) as a result of this request. Following are average time allowances for the various steps that may be necessary to retrofit:

Tires & Wheels (Mount, Balance, and Install): 1.0 hrs

Jounce Bumper: 0.2 hrs

Knee Bolster Deflector: 0.4 hrs

PCM Re-Program + ABS Module Update: 1.0 hrs

As a part of this retrofit, be sure to remove the 20-Inch tire label and leave the OE tire label intact. If, for any reason, the original OE parts that came off a particular vehicle are no longer available, new parts should be ordered through GMSPO to complete this retrofit. All warranty claims relating to these retrofit activities need to be submitted by 12/31/2004. Any claim filed after that date will be denied.

ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE VSE20040060

(original message released on 10/19/04)

Effective immediately, we have been advised by GM Vehicle Engineering to stop selling dealer installed 20-Inch Plus-Size Wheels offered as Chevrolet or GMC Accessories on the 1500 Crew Cab version of Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Light Duty Pickups (Models C and K 15543, CC15543, CK15543, TC15543, TK15543). The stop sell is only for the crew cab - no other body styles are impacted. Continued durability and validation testing has identified a long-term durability issue that could potentially damage a suspension bracket and the vehicle’s frame. Changes to the crew cab have been identified and will be implemented next year. Until further notification, 20 Inch Plus Size Wheels are no longer valid for this body style. Since the crew cab has a unique suspension bracket interface to the frame, this condition does not apply to other body styles.

All crew cabs equipped with 20 inch plus size wheels in dealer inventory should not be sold. The original tire and wheels from the factory should be reinstalled. Accessory Distributor Installers (ADIs) have been asked to assist dealers where applicable in restoring crew cabs outfitted with 20 inch plus size wheels in inventory back to the original factory wheels. Further instructions will follow relative to actions, if any that may be required for customer owned crew cabs with 20 inch plus size wheels. We appreciate your support in working through this situation. It is because GM thoroughly validates its wheel and tire systems to each vehicle application that this condition was found. Please remember that only GM approved wheel/tire combinations should be put on the impacted vehicles without putting the vehicle at risk.

Chevrolet and GMC 20-inch Plus Size wheels may continue to be installed on all other previously communicated full size truck and utility applications.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(04-05 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab With 5'8" Bed) and (04-05 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab With 5'8" Bed)

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

General Motors has concluded that no further action is required relative to 1500 Series Crew Cab models equipped with the 20-Inch Plus-Size Wheels previously delivered to customers. However, these wheels should continue to be restricted for use on 2004-05 model year 1500 Series Crew Cab models until component design changes are implemented in the 2006 model year

Now that really is confusing. Seems like they are saying that if the truck was already delivered to the customer, no further action is required (let them keep the 20" wheels/tires :thumbs: ). Restrict thier use on 2004-05 model?? I guess that means you can install them but don't overload your truck or go 4 wheelin'?? :D Interesting!!

Of course later in the letter it states to remove any that are still on crew cabs on the lot!!

Can't get anymore confusing than that. :eek:

Thanks for that bit of info GM-TECH, I've never seen that bulletin and it makes me feel better about putting 20's on mine.

O.K. Please don't think I'm trying to stir up contraversy or that I do not appreciate the input but I sent an email to GM. Their reply tells me that it is fine to run 20's on my vehicle. It even gives me a link to order the wheels from them. I sent a reply telling them that I had already installed aftermarket wheels and they replied that as long as they are "quality replacements" no problems should occur. I don't know but at least GM said I was fine! Confusing subject at the least though!

As far as in the reply above, are there steps that could be taken to eliminate the problems discussed? Just asking!

Ahh, no contraversy here. I feel the same way you do and have asked the same questions you have. I put the 20's on mine since I could not get any answers either. Its just interesting to note some of the things GM is stating in the bulletins. I also would like to know if there is some bracing we can install to ensure this problem does not happen to the people who actually have the GM certified wheels as well as those of us who don't. I don't overload my truck (haul a little dirt, maybe some groceries and an 18' Bayliner boat) and all of my vehicles have always been well cared for and just love the look of my truck with 20's and really don't want to take them off. I am suprised you received an e-mail stating it was alright to install them, you should post that e-mail.

I'm like you. If the truck won't handle the 20's or there is some sort of structural integrity problem, it seems that they would have to recall the Crew's that have factory 20's. You know that their data base shows options sold on the vehicle new. I can say that I'm very confused over this subject. I'm about like you, all I haul is maybe a 4-wheeler but I had plans when I bought the truck to haul my '66 Ford Mustang Fastback as well. If I had known three days ago what I know now, I would have put 17's on just for the piece of mind. That said, I can't shell out another $1,700 for another set of wheels. But then again, after receiving the email from GM, I feel a little better. Of course, from everything I've read here, it depends on the person you speak with from GM or a dealer as to whether you are told it's ok or not. Go figure! Maybe they will offer the parts (if possible) to remedy this dilemna soon. I guess time will tell.

Seems like they are saying that if the truck was already delivered to the customer, no further action is required (let them keep the 20" wheels/tires :D ).

That's the way I read it too. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to have to make some calls tomorrow if I get the chance to get some clarification on the issue.

Thank you for visiting the Goodwrench website.

Thank-you for your e-mail Mr.Russell regarding your 2005 GMC Sierra Crew

Cab.

Attached below are the recommended 20" wheels for your vehicle;

The message above is the email that I got from GM Goodwrench and then it gave me a link to look at the wheels but I couldn't get it to copy over! Confusing, huh?

Thank you for visiting the Goodwrench website.

Thank-you for your e-mail Mr.Russell regarding your 2005 GMC Sierra Crew

Cab.

Attached below are the recommended 20" wheels for your vehicle;

The message above is the email that I got from GM Goodwrench and then it gave me a link to look at the wheels but I couldn't get it to copy over!  Confusing, huh?

Sierra Crew Guy,

It is confusing. I went through the same thing. When I called the dealer for pricing I was told there was a problem but they couldn't give me details. So I called another dealer and they told me there was no problem. So I was looking on ebay to buy the wheels and a guy selling GM wheels told me not to buy them because there was a frame problem on the crews, and a TSB. So I went back to the dealer and told them what I heard and they said they weren't aware of any problem and put me in touch with GM customer service. Called GM cust. service and they said the only issue they knew of was that the speedo and ABS would need to be recalibrated. When I asked about the TSB they said there was none and referred me back to the service manager at the dealership. I finally got a look at the TSB through this forum.

GM-TECH,

Any chance you could use your GM contacts and get some details on the problem. If I knew specifically what and where the problem was I could make an informed decision and keep an eye on the problem area. I'd also like to know if there is a safety issue. Thanks for the info and the TSB.

We where sent out a message to take any and all 20" wheels off of any 1/2 ton crew-cab weather they were on a truck in stock or if we sold a truck with them we were told to call the customer and inform them of the problem and that the wheels were to be removed and refund the customer their money back.

Archived