How to remove the grille?

Hey Guys (And ladies),

Is it difficult to remove the grill on a 2004 Silverado? I need to remove it to get behind it and figure out a way to mount some type of bar setup to mount lights and speakers to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I see theres two like "snap" tabs on each side that the grill seems to snap into, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything so as not to damage the grill and having to use my Line-X project money for a new grill :uhoh:

There should be four plastic phillips (large) head connectors, two at the the top, two at the the very bottom (bottom ones located between the grille and the bumper) the top ones between the headlights, and the bottom ones just below and inside. The screw-heads all face forward so you can poke right into them. There is also a bolt that is right smack in the middle-top that is always staring at you when you open the hood (8mm i think?). Oh ya, the plastic phillips head jobbies only rotate 90 degrees. they work good. maybe just search around for them with a flashlight first.. And also, yes, the very ends of the chrome strip (between the lights) has a tab you just push in with your thumb and pull it out. Reverse order to re-install. It's like lego!

No bolt, no philips connectors that twist. I don't recognize the instructions. I think they are coming from another truck.

For the 2004, there is a plastic splash guard that is on the top of the radiator area by the latch, that extends to the grill. Plastic push-downs hold the guard on. A small flat-head screwdriver is inserted under and the head of the push-down is lifted up. Just barely lift up or the middle shaft will fly out and you can lose it. You then just work it up, and remove all the push-downs. The splash guard is now ready to be removed.

The grill is now ready to unsnap out. You'll see it is just one rather large plastic shell, attached by speed clips. It just unsnaps and easily comes out. The trickiest part is where the side pieces fit in the groove on the side by in the fender. Other than that, it is very simple to pull out.

grill removal on the 03-05 is really easy. as said before remove the pins from the splash guard then pull the second pin out. Lift the splash guard up and yank on the grill untill it pops out then yank on the chrome part between the headlight and park lamp untill those pop out (both sides)

Sounds like the '03-'05 Silverado grill mounts the same way the one in my '03 Trailblazer did. Except that the '03 Trailblazer had that splash shield deleted from the '02 year, making replacing the grill a simple unsnapping-resnapping process.

Got the grill off several times now. Boy a lot easier than I thought. I cant believe how much room you have behind there. It looks a lot smaller until you remove the grill. Anyone have anything mounted behind the grill? I'm thinking about mounting some L-Channel onto that support "square channel" that the cooler and tranny cooler are mounted to so I can mount emergency lights on it. Seems to be one of the few strong points to mount something to. Also, has anyone ever had to/been able to get underneat the power box under the hood. The one with all the fuses and whatnot. I need to mount a circuit breaker to it and get behind/underneath it to put 2 nuts inside. As always, thanks for all the help. The internet is such a great asset ;)

Archived